Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Beer Gloves
Old 02-27-2016, 12:51 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
mickeyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Texas~29N/98W
Posts: 5,881
Beer Gloves

My hands have been attacked by the effects of cold beer for over 50 years. If I were a bit smarter, and consumed fewer brews along the way, I should have invented this item of clothing.




Luckenbach is the site of the almost official "beer glove mania"! The gloves that keep your beer cold and your hands warm! Made of "mica-flex" acrylic, so one size fits all........even Mr. Monster hands! Rubber ink on fabric gives a super grip.............decreases those messy "beer spills".
__________________

__________________
Part-Owner of Texas

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2016, 02:12 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,269
If you are drinking beer with actual flavor (and you should be!), you never serve it that cold. That kind of chill just wipes out the real flavors of a great beer. Kills the malt/sweetness, but not the hop bitterness. Beer served too cold is one reason why some people claim they don't like beer because it is 'too bitter'. Nope, it's too cold.

My beer fridge is ~ 46F, and for some beers that is too cold, I need to let them warm up.

-ERD50
__________________

__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:44 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,792
No beer expert, just spent a good bit of time in German beerhalls and beergardens. Preferred dark beers, still do. At near room temperature. In the beerhalls good locally brewed dark beer was often served with a small vial of hot water to stir the beer with. Sure tasted good.

An excerpt form an article in Slate

"But walk into any bar, even one serious about craft beer, and you’re likely to be served beer that’s close to freezing, often in a misguidedly chilled mug. Where did this practice of deep freezing beer come from? While the cold neuters tasty beers, it masks the flaws of flavorless macrobrews. So it’s no surprise that the corporate brewers who make Budweiser, Miller, and Coors fill their ads with images of frosty mugs, snowy peaks, and bikini-clad babes frolicking improbably in fake snow. Coors Light has invested the most in frigidness, famously deploying the dopey gimmick of erecting mountains on its labels that turn blue when the beer is “cold enough.” "

In Alaska a popular beer was Olympia. On the label the slogan said It's the water, we used to say it's water.


Don’t believe Coors and Budweiser, colder isn’t better.
__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:16 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Is that anything like "beer goggles"?
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 434
eh.. I like my cold Coors Light.

Plus it costs 3x less than craft beers and I'm frugal (hence being FIRE'd).

(16.99 for 24 - 16oz cans at Total Wine vs. $8.99/6 pack for many craft beers)
__________________
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:16 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If you are drinking beer with actual flavor (and you should be!), ..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingmn View Post
eh.. I like my cold Coors Light............
Me, too. Is there a self help group for people like us?
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:52 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,556
I use can & bottle koozies all the time to keep drinks cool. Also protects hand. Net, a glove seems like a lesser idea to me.
__________________
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.
HawkeyeNFO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside the Beltway
Posts: 573
Here in Germany, the beer actually is the cheapest beverage on the menu at restaurants! Water, soda, and juice all cost more than beer.
__________________
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Citizen of Texas
Posts: 2,473
I've always preferred ice cold beer and will toss out any reaming beer that get's warm. (but that rarely happens). In the past I could/would drink just about any beer but as I got older I've settled into only drinking Corona (actually Corona Light when it's available). The only beer I've found that I like better is Tiger Beer but it's hard to get the Asian brewed variety here in my part of the world.
__________________
Car-Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:08 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If you are drinking beer with actual flavor (and you should be!), ..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingmn View Post
eh.. I like my cold Coors Light............
Me, too. Is there a self help group for people like us?
Well, if you actually like Coors Light, you probably should be drinking it cold, that's what it is 'designed' for.

It's personal preference, so do as you wish. But for myself, I'll drink water instead of any "light" beer. I'll save the calories for a beer with flavor. Guinness really doesn't have many more calories/carbs than "light" beers, and a LOT more flavor.

But to each their own.

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:18 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
if you actually like Coors Light, you probably should be drinking it cold, that's what it is 'designed' for.
Obviously, we have some folks here who would enjoy making love in a canoe.
__________________
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
John Galt III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingmn View Post
eh.. I like my cold Coors Light.

Plus it costs 3x less than craft beers and I'm frugal (hence being FIRE'd).

(16.99 for 24 - 16oz cans at Total Wine vs. $8.99/6 pack for many craft beers)
I'm frugal too. My standard beer has been Hamm's lager. A 30 pack of cans for $12.29 plus tax, here in Pa. But I also love the craft stuff. Really just depends on my mood, body chemistry, weather, whatever. Sometimes I'd really rather have a Hamms cheapo than the $53 a case stuff.

When drinking a highly rated craft beer, sometimes I realize if it was a blind taste test, it would be similar to a can of Sprite. But then I come to my senses.


My beer store has the craft beer heavily marked down a lot lately, and I have been stockpiling it in my cool basement.

Have not felt the need for gloves yet.
__________________
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #13
Moderator
rodi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 8,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I'm frugal too. My standard beer has been Hamm's lager. A 30 pack of cans for $12.29 plus tax, here in Pa. But I also love the craft stuff. Really just depends on my mood, body chemistry, weather, whatever. Sometimes I'd really rather have a Hamms cheapo than the $53 a case stuff.

When drinking a highly rated craft beer, sometimes I realize if it was a blind taste test, it would be similar to a can of Sprite. But then I come to my senses.


My beer store has the craft beer heavily marked down a lot lately, and I have been stockpiling it in my cool basement.

Have not felt the need for gloves yet.
That's because you live in Pennsylvania with their ridiculous liquor laws that created the beer store where you can only buy a case at a time. Sure - you can pay your local pizza joint or deli to get a sixpack - but prices are very high. Between the state store for wine/liquor and the beer store - I really cut back my drinking the decade I lived in PA. I didn't want to commit to a case of beer of a specific brand/flavor, and the state store only carried CRAP tequila brands.

Fortunately I had a fun neighborhood bar with great music 2 blocks from home - so if friends came over we'd walk over there for a beverage and everyone could order what they wanted.
__________________
Retired June 2014. No longer an enginerd - now I'm just a nerd.
micro pensions 7%, rental income 18%
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:52 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
bbbamI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas 'burb
Posts: 9,039
__________________
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:55 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
No beer expert, just spent a good bit of time in German beerhalls and beergardens. Preferred dark beers, still do. At near room temperature. In the beerhalls good locally brewed dark beer was often served with a small vial of hot water to stir the beer with. Sure tasted good.

An excerpt form an article in Slate

"But walk into any bar, even one serious about craft beer, and you’re likely to be served beer that’s close to freezing, often in a misguidedly chilled mug. Where did this practice of deep freezing beer come from? While the cold neuters tasty beers, it masks the flaws of flavorless macrobrews. So it’s no surprise that the corporate brewers who make Budweiser, Miller, and Coors fill their ads with images of frosty mugs, snowy peaks, and bikini-clad babes frolicking improbably in fake snow. Coors Light has invested the most in frigidness, famously deploying the dopey gimmick of erecting mountains on its labels that turn blue when the beer is “cold enough.” "

In Alaska a popular beer was Olympia. On the label the slogan said It's the water, we used to say it's water.


Don’t believe Coors and Budweiser, colder isn’t better.
When I lived in Seattle my neighbor worked for Olympia Beer so every Friday he came over with 2 free employee cases of Olympia for me, he wouldn't drink it.
__________________
For me experiences are not good or bad, just different
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:00 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
That's because you live in Pennsylvania with their ridiculous liquor laws that created the beer store where you can only buy a case at a time. Sure - you can pay your local pizza joint or deli to get a sixpack - but prices are very high. Between the state store for wine/liquor and the beer store - I really cut back my drinking the decade I lived in PA. I didn't want to commit to a case of beer of a specific brand/flavor, and the state store only carried CRAP tequila brands.

Fortunately I had a fun neighborhood bar with great music 2 blocks from home - so if friends came over we'd walk over there for a beverage and everyone could order what they wanted.
I would kill for Yingling's Black and Tan, having lived in the Lehigh Valley for a couple of years. Back in the days a case of pounder returnables at the beer store 20 miles from the brewery sold for under $8.
__________________
For me experiences are not good or bad, just different
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:06 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Obviously, we have some folks here who would enjoy making love in a canoe.
Yup, f'king close to water!
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
John Galt III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
That's because you live in Pennsylvania with their ridiculous liquor laws that created the beer store where you can only buy a case at a time. Sure - you can pay your local pizza joint or deli to get a sixpack - but prices are very high. Between the state store for wine/liquor and the beer store - I really cut back my drinking the decade I lived in PA. I didn't want to commit to a case of beer of a specific brand/flavor, and the state store only carried CRAP tequila brands.

Fortunately I had a fun neighborhood bar with great music 2 blocks from home - so if friends came over we'd walk over there for a beverage and everyone could order what they wanted.
Now Pa has 12 packs available in the beer distributors. Just a little bit more expensive per bottle than the whole 24 unit case. And lately they are adding a lot of new craft beer that is mostly $50 and up for one case. I even see cases there for $80 and $90. Unbelievable. Must be a lot of rich beer drinkers around here.
__________________
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
John Galt III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
I would kill for Yingling's Black and Tan, having lived in the Lehigh Valley for a couple of years. Back in the days a case of pounder returnables at the beer store 20 miles from the brewery sold for under $8.
A case of Yuengling Lager 12 oz in cans here is $15.99. A case of 12 oz bottles is $18.99 I think. I haven't seen Yuengling Black and Tan offered here for a while. My memory lane beer is National Bohemian Pilsener in 16 ounce returnables for $5.99 a case of 24. Must have been early 1980's.
__________________
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:48 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
That's because you live in Pennsylvania with their ridiculous liquor laws that created the beer store where you can only buy a case at a time. Sure - you can pay your local pizza joint or deli to get a sixpack - but prices are very high. Between the state store for wine/liquor and the beer store - I really cut back my drinking the decade I lived in PA. I didn't want to commit to a case of beer of a specific brand/flavor, and the state store only carried CRAP tequila brands.

Fortunately I had a fun neighborhood bar with great music 2 blocks from home - so if friends came over we'd walk over there for a beverage and everyone could order what they wanted.
I left the state right after turning 21 just cause of the stupid law. Well that and a whole lot of other reasons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beer drinkers, what do you like? Dawg52 Other topics 50 09-02-2006 06:18 PM
Drink Beer and Get Paid For It BUM Other topics 10 08-13-2006 09:05 PM
Public Service Announcement -Beer Troubleshooter Guide poboy Other topics 0 03-31-2006 11:27 AM
I need a beer.  Beer, beer, beer...here beery beer cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 5 02-23-2005 10:16 AM
Beer survey dory36 Other topics 8 06-12-2003 08:32 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:31 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.