Join Early Retirement Today

Beer Gloves
Old 02-27-2016, 11:51 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Beer Gloves

My hands have been attacked by the effects of cold beer for over 50 years. If I were a bit smarter, and consumed fewer brews along the way, I should have invented this item of clothing.

Luckenbach is the site of the almost official "beer glove mania"! The gloves that keep your beer cold and your hands warm! Made of "mica-flex" acrylic, so one size fits all........even Mr. Monster hands! Rubber ink on fabric gives a super grip.............decreases those messy "beer spills".

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2016, 01:12 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

If you are drinking beer with actual flavor (and you should be!), you never serve it that cold. That kind of chill just wipes out the real flavors of a great beer. Kills the malt/sweetness, but not the hop bitterness. Beer served too cold is one reason why some people claim they don't like beer because it is 'too bitter'. Nope, it's too cold.

My beer fridge is ~ 46F, and for some beers that is too cold, I need to let them warm up.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:44 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

No beer expert, just spent a good bit of time in German beerhalls and beergardens. Preferred dark beers, still do. At near room temperature. In the beerhalls good locally brewed dark beer was often served with a small vial of hot water to stir the beer with. Sure tasted good.

An excerpt form an article in Slate

"But walk into any bar, even one serious about craft beer, and you’re likely to be served beer that’s close to freezing, often in a misguidedly chilled mug. Where did this practice of deep freezing beer come from? While the cold neuters tasty beers, it masks the flaws of flavorless macrobrews. So it’s no surprise that the corporate brewers who make Budweiser, Miller, and Coors fill their ads with images of frosty mugs, snowy peaks, and bikini-clad babes frolicking improbably in fake snow. Coors Light has invested the most in frigidness, famously deploying the dopey gimmick of erecting mountains on its labels that turn blue when the beer is “cold enough.” "

In Alaska a popular beer was Olympia. On the label the slogan said It's the water, we used to say it's water.

Don’t believe Coors and Budweiser, colder isn’t better.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:16 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Is that anything like "beer goggles"?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:48 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

eh.. I like my cold Coors Light.

Plus it costs 3x less than craft beers and I'm frugal (hence being FIRE'd).

(16.99 for 24 - 16oz cans at Total Wine vs. $8.99/6 pack for many craft beers)
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:16 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If you are drinking beer with actual flavor (and you should be!), ..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingmn View Post
eh.. I like my cold Coors Light............
Me, too. Is there a self help group for people like us?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:52 AM   #7
gone traveling

I use can & bottle koozies all the time to keep drinks cool. Also protects hand. Net, a glove seems like a lesser idea to me.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:09 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here in Germany, the beer actually is the cheapest beverage on the menu at restaurants! Water, soda, and juice all cost more than beer.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:40 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I've always preferred ice cold beer and will toss out any reaming beer that get's warm. (but that rarely happens). In the past I could/would drink just about any beer but as I got older I've settled into only drinking Corona (actually Corona Light when it's available). The only beer I've found that I like better is Tiger Beer but it's hard to get the Asian brewed variety here in my part of the world.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:08 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Quote:
Quote:
If you are drinking beer with actual flavor (and you should be!), ..........
Quote:
eh.. I like my cold Coors Light............
Me, too. Is there a self help group for people like us?
Well, if you actually like Coors Light, you probably should be drinking it cold, that's what it is 'designed' for.

It's personal preference, so do as you wish. But for myself, I'll drink water instead of any "light" beer. I'll save the calories for a beer with flavor. Guinness really doesn't have many more calories/carbs than "light" beers, and a LOT more flavor.

But to each their own.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:18 AM   #11

Quote:
if you actually like Coors Light, you probably should be drinking it cold, that's what it is 'designed' for.
Obviously, we have some folks here who would enjoy making love in a canoe.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:20 AM   #12

Quote:
eh.. I like my cold Coors Light.

Plus it costs 3x less than craft beers and I'm frugal (hence being FIRE'd).

(16.99 for 24 - 16oz cans at Total Wine vs. $8.99/6 pack for many craft beers)
I'm frugal too. My standard beer has been Hamm's lager. A 30 pack of cans for $12.29 plus tax, here in Pa. But I also love the craft stuff. Really just depends on my mood, body chemistry, weather, whatever. Sometimes I'd really rather have a Hamms cheapo than the $53 a case stuff.

When drinking a highly rated craft beer, sometimes I realize if it was a blind taste test, it would be similar to a can of Sprite. But then I come to my senses.

My beer store has the craft beer heavily marked down a lot lately, and I have been stockpiling it in my cool basement.

Have not felt the need for gloves yet.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I'm frugal too. My standard beer has been Hamm's lager. A 30 pack of cans for $12.29 plus tax, here in Pa. But I also love the craft stuff. Really just depends on my mood, body chemistry, weather, whatever. Sometimes I'd really rather have a Hamms cheapo than the $53 a case stuff.

When drinking a highly rated craft beer, sometimes I realize if it was a blind taste test, it would be similar to a can of Sprite. But then I come to my senses.

My beer store has the craft beer heavily marked down a lot lately, and I have been stockpiling it in my cool basement.

Have not felt the need for gloves yet.
That's because you live in Pennsylvania with their ridiculous liquor laws that created the beer store where you can only buy a case at a time. Sure - you can pay your local pizza joint or deli to get a sixpack - but prices are very high. Between the state store for wine/liquor and the beer store - I really cut back my drinking the decade I lived in PA. I didn't want to commit to a case of beer of a specific brand/flavor, and the state store only carried CRAP tequila brands.

Fortunately I had a fun neighborhood bar with great music 2 blocks from home - so if friends came over we'd walk over there for a beverage and everyone could order what they wanted.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Old 02-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
No beer expert, just spent a good bit of time in German beerhalls and beergardens. Preferred dark beers, still do. At near room temperature. In the beerhalls good locally brewed dark beer was often served with a small vial of hot water to stir the beer with. Sure tasted good.

An excerpt form an article in Slate

"But walk into any bar, even one serious about craft beer, and you’re likely to be served beer that’s close to freezing, often in a misguidedly chilled mug. Where did this practice of deep freezing beer come from? While the cold neuters tasty beers, it masks the flaws of flavorless macrobrews. So it’s no surprise that the corporate brewers who make Budweiser, Miller, and Coors fill their ads with images of frosty mugs, snowy peaks, and bikini-clad babes frolicking improbably in fake snow. Coors Light has invested the most in frigidness, famously deploying the dopey gimmick of erecting mountains on its labels that turn blue when the beer is “cold enough.” "

In Alaska a popular beer was Olympia. On the label the slogan said It's the water, we used to say it's water.

Don’t believe Coors and Budweiser, colder isn’t better.
When I lived in Seattle my neighbor worked for Olympia Beer so every Friday he came over with 2 free employee cases of Olympia for me, he wouldn't drink it.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
That's because you live in Pennsylvania with their ridiculous liquor laws that created the beer store where you can only buy a case at a time. Sure - you can pay your local pizza joint or deli to get a sixpack - but prices are very high. Between the state store for wine/liquor and the beer store - I really cut back my drinking the decade I lived in PA. I didn't want to commit to a case of beer of a specific brand/flavor, and the state store only carried CRAP tequila brands.

Fortunately I had a fun neighborhood bar with great music 2 blocks from home - so if friends came over we'd walk over there for a beverage and everyone could order what they wanted.
I would kill for Yingling's Black and Tan, having lived in the Lehigh Valley for a couple of years. Back in the days a case of pounder returnables at the beer store 20 miles from the brewery sold for under $8.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:06 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Obviously, we have some folks here who would enjoy making love in a canoe.
Yup, f'king close to water!
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:46 AM   #18

Quote:

Now Pa has 12 packs available in the beer distributors. Just a little bit more expensive per bottle than the whole 24 unit case. And lately they are adding a lot of new craft beer that is mostly $50 and up for one case. I even see cases there for $80 and $90. Unbelievable. Must be a lot of rich beer drinkers around here.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
I would kill for Yingling's Black and Tan, having lived in the Lehigh Valley for a couple of years. Back in the days a case of pounder returnables at the beer store 20 miles from the brewery sold for under $8.
A case of Yuengling Lager 12 oz in cans here is $15.99. A case of 12 oz bottles is $18.99 I think. I haven't seen Yuengling Black and Tan offered here for a while. My memory lane beer is National Bohemian Pilsener in 16 ounce returnables for $5.99 a case of 24. Must have been early 1980's.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:48 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I left the state right after turning 21 just cause of the stupid law. Well that and a whole lot of other reasons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote