Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Beer Post (slow day!)
Old 02-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Beer Post (slow day!)

I tend to prefer the heavier dark ales... anything from large mass distributors to micro-brewers ya never heard of... like Guinness, various porters, stouts, etc

But i am getting cheap in my old age. Just bought some rolling rock pale ale. The last time I had one of those was in my drunken Semper Fi days (as a kid). If I remember right... it is a little like water... xept the alcohol.

Ok beer guzzlers criticize my swill purchase.

Yes... It is a slow day!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I love Rolling Rock. "33"
Every bar in Binghamton NY offered 3 ponies (7 oz) for $1 in my college days. LBYM to the ultimate.

I stick with RR or Coors Lite. Both are relatively low calorie (compared to other beers) and go with any kind of food. Especially fresh pizzer.
I treat myself to St Pauli Girl or Heineken when I find them on sale.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Just bought some rolling rock pale ale.
Wel, just for the record, Rolling Rock is a lager, broadly in the pilsner style, not a pale ale.

If anyone wonders, here are the basics:

All beer is either a lager or an ale. The essential difference is the type of yeast used to ferment them (lager yeast works slower, at colder temperatures).

Within the lager/ale divisions, you can find a very broad variety of different beer styles.
The best single source I know of for describing them is at the beer judge site:
Beer Style Guidelines

I've been an active beer judge for over 18 years, so I'm probably a little oversensitive to the fine points.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Wel, just for the record, Rolling Rock is a lager, broadly in the pilsner style, not a pale ale.

I didn't look too close when I bought it... cheap beer was the goal. but hey... lager is fine....
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rolling Rock used to be brewed fairly close to where I live now in the Laurel Highlands of western PA ("brewed from mountain spring water"). But I believe it is now brewed in New Jersey.
I have a beer every once in awhile when I am out with friends. I almost always get something on tap. I think the last beer I had was a Sam Adams seasonal beer of some sort or another. When I lived in CA, I used to like Sierra Nevada pale ale. A few months ago, I tried a Blue Moon on tap at the recommendation of a friend who is partial to it. It was good and refreshing, served with an orange slice, which was different.
I predict this thread with be hugely popular!
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

In my college years, being a true Texican, Coors was the beverage of choice. Then it was Bud during middle age and now Miller Lite in retirement. I'm not a fan of the darker brews.

Regardless of choice, there's nothing quite like a cold beer on a hot day.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

Sierra Neveda Pale Ale
hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I love Rolling Rock. "33"
Every bar in Binghamton NY offered 3 ponies (7 oz) for $1 in my college days. LBYM to the ultimate.

I stick with RR or Coors Lite. Both are relatively low calorie (compared to other beers) and go with any kind of food. Especially fresh pizzer.
I treat myself to St Pauli Girl or Heineken when I find them on sale.
Maybe not as much as you think - Beer Alcohol and Calories

St Pauli Girl is less Calories than RR, and Guinness is only 43/100mL compared to 40 for RR. Coors Lite comes in at 30/100mL, but really, why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

I've been an active beer judge for over 18 years, so I'm probably a little oversensitive to the fine points.
Nah, people need to be educated on this. Keep it up! I've got an 1.063 American Pale Ale fermenting right now with an English Yeast (1968), so we'll see how that combo goes.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'm so happy! My local grocery store amazingly carries some of my favorite Oregon beer. They have beer from Deschutes Brewery in Bend, and Full Sail Brewery in Hood River. We like dark, and we really like the Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewery.

I'm really amazed it's here, because I don't think I've seen these brands anywhere else in the state.

Now if only they would get some beer from Big Sky Brewing in Missoula Montana.

Audrey
Old 02-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

fun site for all things beer: BeerAdvocate - Respect Beer.

Sam Adams Noble Pils is out now, excellent spring/summer beer
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Funny this should pop up. I am going this afternoon to the local brewing supply store with yet another person I have corrupted taught to brew recently. We have had a moth epidemic, so I just cleaned out my grain bin and had to toss a bunch of stuff, so I am figuring out the spring brew schedule (likely start next month). Thinking a special bitter, amber(possibly rye), and an IPA on one set of yeast cakes. Then an American Wheat, cream ale and on the next. That set of batches should be enough to get me to the Fall when the weather and my schedule will be amenable to restocking.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Funny this should pop up. I am going this afternoon to the local brewing supply store with yet another person I have corrupted taught to brew recently. We have had a moth epidemic, so I just cleaned out my grain bin and had to toss a bunch of stuff, so I am figuring out the spring brew schedule (likely start next month). Thinking a special bitter, amber(possibly rye), and an IPA on one set of yeast cakes. Then an American Wheat, cream ale and on the next. That set of batches should be enough to get me to the Fall when the weather and my schedule will be amenable to restocking.

wow, that's an ambitious brew schedule, gotta love a nice wheat beer on a hot summers day - have a blast!
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I started doing Blue Moon (wheat beer) with a slice of orange. Little pricey thou.

Can you save $$ brewing your own ... or is it strictly for hobby?
Old 02-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #14

Remembering Rolling Rock from college days has me buying it again lately - decades later. Heineken and St. Pauli's are favorites.

DH likes several DiamondBear beers, a microbrewery in Little Rock.

Because of budget restrictions, most beer, most days is Bud Lite with a slice of lime.

We are going beer shopping in a couple hours (it's a big deal because we live in a dry county).
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

My son inlaw has gotten me started on IPA's he has three microbrews on tap at all times,refrigerated in basement. But I only get out there twice a year. At home I drink Southhampton IPA, cheap for an IPA but I like it.
Old Mike
mf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf15 View Post
My son inlaw has gotten me started on IPA's he has three microbrews on tap at all times,refrigerated in basement. But I only get out there twice a year. At home I drink Southhampton IPA, cheap for an IPA but I like it.
Old Mike
Hmmm....3 microbrews on tap 24/7 and only 1 state away from me...
Old 02-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Can you save $$ brewing your own ... or is it strictly for hobby?
It depends how you approach it, and what you use for a reference point.

You probably can't make beer as cheap as the bargain mega-swill stuff that is called beer (and why would you bother?). And some people like to invest in all sorts of fancy gadgets as part of the hobby, and that raises the price when you amortize that stuff over a few years of use.

But you can make great beer with very little equipment if you choose, and at probably half the cost of the kind of stuff that routinely goes for $6-$10 a six-pack.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Freebird: Actually the 3 microbrews on tap are located in Indianapolis, that is why I only get out there 2 or so times a year. The Southhampton IPA is made in Latrobe Pa. The other tap he has is used for carbonated water.
Old Mike
mf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
... Just bought some rolling rock pale ale. The last time I had one of those was in my drunken Semper Fi days (as a kid). If I remember right... it is a little like water... xept the alcohol.

Ok beer guzzlers criticize my swill purchase.

It's been years since I had a RR so reasonable criticism would be difficult. Last time I had it was in grad school - it was cheap and cold which met all the important requirements to be considered an excellent beer at the time. These days on the rare occasion I have a beer I prefer nut brown ales and IPAs. Red Hook is pretty good - you might give it a try.

There is a local brewery here that makes some fine ales; all with nuclear themed names. Atomic Ale, Plutonium porter, Half-Life Hefeweizen, etc I never turn down the Atomic Amber
Old 02-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #20

Guinness is an old favorite; Schlafly Pale Ale is a local favorite; and, I have rarely met an IPA that I did not like.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote