Join Early Retirement Today

Beer survey
Old 05-31-2003, 01:53 AM   #1
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Beer survey

"The Tucson Kid" posted a beer survey, but it was in another thread, so I'll quote him here:

Quote:
Favorite Beers:

Shiner Bock--the champaigne of Texas

Old Rasputin--a head ache in a bottle

and of course, Guiness
He obviously never tried Weinstepphan, made by the oldest brewery in the world -- in continuous operation since the year 1040 (not a typo!).

After thorough research and testing, I am convinced they have been on a continuous quality improvement program since they started.

Now, I don't remember much about that research, conducted a few years back, in the outskirts of Munich, but the conclusions stayed with me!

Dory36

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Beer survey
Old 05-31-2003, 04:32 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Dory36,

I agree with you completely. But according to the empty bottle in front of me its "Weihenstephan". I just wish I knew where I could purchase some. I tried it in a restuarant in West Palm Beach several years ago. I liked it so much I took an empty bottle with me, but still can't find a distributor in the mid-west.

And your right. On the bottle it says "Oldest brewery in the world", "Since 1040". I think they got it right by now.

Moguls
(336 days and counting till ER)
moguls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 06:55 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

For some reason, German beers tend to give me a hangover -- which is unfortunate because I prefer something stronger than the "standard" bland American beer like Budweiser or Miller.

An import that I really like is Steinlager, which is made in New Zealand.

For a while, this was available in St. Louis, where I live, but is no longer. This may be related to the fact that St. Louis is the home of Anheuser-Busch, which aggressively uses politics to protect its huge share of the U.S. beer market -- sometimes in ways that limit competition.

Fortunately, Steinlager is available in Colorado, where I go to ski most years. Unfortunately, it too will give me a hangover for the first couple of days that I am there, until I adjust to the altitude. So I drink a lot of Steinlager on the last few days of the trip, and pack the car with it the way that people once did with Coors when it was only sold in Colorado. (These people have since refined their tastes and discovered that Coors is unexceptional.)
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 07:16 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
pack the car with it the way that people once did with Coors when it was only sold in Colorado. (These people have since refined their tastes and discovered that Coors is unexceptional.)
I was never so disappointed when we moved to Colorado in 1971 and at last got a swig of Coors - tap water! I like Old Speckled Hen myself, and the real Budvar (made by the Czech Budweisers who haven't forgotten how to make beer) you can get in Europe. Czechvar (imported to the US) is OK, but not the same - someone called it a good party beer.

http://www.oldspeckledhen.co.uk/

http://www.budvar.cz/flash/index_en.html

arrete
arrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 03:26 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to RedOscar

In my younger days, I used to enjoy a nice six pack of Falls City Beer, brewed with the finest waters of the Ohio River.

But these days, I primarily stick to Guinness or whatever the other person is buying.

Of course, if you're looking for a good hangover, go with LaBiere du Demon, a nice Swiss brew.

Red
RedOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 11:56 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ummm, arete, Czechvar is Budweiser Budvar. They just had to call it Czechvar in order to import it because of an agreement with Anheuser-Busch.

You've all named a lot of nice beer, but most don't compare to well-made, fresh homebrew. We kicked the keg of UK-style mild last night and are now drinking a lovely german-style helles. As soon as I get around to carbonating it, we'll also have a porter on tap. Later in the summer, I have some secret recipe cream ale ready, and september I will roll out the oktoberfest.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 10:38 AM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

When we lived in Holland, the locals swore that the domestic Heineken tasted better than the green label, export version. (I forget what color the label is of the local version.) I remember the local stores had a lovely variety of local beers, all in returnable bottles. My favorite remains Oranjeboom, which is a pretty good value if you can find the half liter cans.

The New Zealanders have a lot of nice beers that never take the boat ride over here. But Steinlager is a good example of what you are missing by note visiting.

Baanista
baanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 05:00 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Ummm, arete, Czechvar is Budweiser Budvar
I know it's suposed to be the same, and I was very excited when they finally found a way to get it over here. But believe me, it just doesn't taste the same. Of course, I probably had it on tap over there.

arrete
arrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 07:32 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, lots of good tips in here on how to properly stock the 'fridge!

My favorite beer of all time is one that I discovered a couple of years ago. It's a heavy but incredibly smooth porter called "Cornish Creme". And yes, if you want some you have to visit Cornwall to get it. It's brewed and consumed locally and is only availlable in tavern kegs and barrels. Almost makes it worth a trip to the south of England all by iteslf.

The closest I can come to that in the USA is a couple of microbrews, one from the Deschutes Brewery in central Oregon called "Black Butte" and another from MacTarnahan's in Portland called "Blackwatch". Both are dark, creamy, and delicious. Not as good as Cornish Creme but very good AND available!

Ed_B

Ed_B is offline   Reply With Quote