Join Early Retirement Today

Before You Get On a Plane
Old 08-29-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Before You Get On a Plane

As a public service, I thought I would give you a tip before you board a plane.

Here it is.* Go to the bathroom in the airport.

Why, you ask?* Well, according to the New York Times a lot of people are slugging down big drinks just before boarding.* So, what happens.* Long lines to the lavatory.

This from their article: Forget Legroom. What About More Water?

Quote:* Meanwhile, there is one more issue facing passengers under the new security rules. Because passengers are required to toss or finish their drinks before boarding, many have been chugging 16-ounce bottles of water or venti lattes just before they get on the plane. On Heather Freeman’s turbulent flight from Washington to Orlando, that meant extra long lines for the onboard restrooms. “I never saw so many people get up,” she said.

Yet not everyone successfully made it to the restroom. “It was a very turbulent flight,” Ms. Freeman said, “so they kept saying, ‘Get back in your seats.’ ” Unquote.

Cross your legs and have a nice flight!

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Before You Get On a Plane
Old 08-29-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Because passengers are required to toss or finish their drinks before boarding, many have been chugging 16-ounce bottles of water or venti lattes just before they get on the plane.
Amateurs. There's nothing wrong with chugging a big drink before a bathroom-limited flight... as long as you empty the original container and keep it for "later"!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:31 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good tip, Eagle.

I learned that one loooong ago.* Also, there are washrooms in some airplanes (Bombardier) that are incredibly small.* Plan ahead!

Never had to use Nords' 'bubble jar'--yet.

Cheers,

Ed the Gypsy.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:36 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

On a long flight make sure you go just before the movie ends.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:36 AM   #5
gone traveling

Remember what your mother told you on that long car trip...

Don't DRINK ANYTHING WE ARE NOT STOPPING UNTIL GRANDMAS HOUSE!!!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
Never had to use Nords' 'bubble jar'--yet.
DH, who used to be a small plane pilot, called it a HERE bottle: Human Element Range Extender .I presume he picked that up (no, not the bottle :) when he was a civilian worker at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. Before my time...I think I was picketing Draper Labs in a tie-dyed muumuu and love beads when he worked there.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:47 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
DH, who used to be a small plane pilot, called it a HERE bottle: Human Element Range Extender
Well, if you stuff it with tissue paper then the naval aviation technical term is "piddle pack".

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 08-30-2006, 01:56 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
DH, who used to be a small plane pilot, called it a HERE bottle: Human Element Range Extender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Well, if you stuff it with tissue paper then the naval aviation technical term is "piddle pack".
In the day, every aircrewmember was issued an MX-991/U emergency relief device as part of their survival gear...

Old 08-30-2006, 02:01 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
In the day, every aircrewmember was issued an MX-991/U emergency relief device as part of their survival gear...
Also works well if U R not in the air, or want to share with a "friend"*

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldier...flashlight.php
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:47 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hunh.* I thought we were all talking at least 16 ounces.*

If your average submariner tried to plug into one of those emergency relief devices, so to speak, then there wouldn't be any room left over for... eh, never mind.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:56 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hunh. I thought we were all talking at least 16 ounces.

If your average submariner tried to plug into one of those emergency relief devices, so to speak, then there wouldn't be any room left over for... eh, never mind.
Hmmmm. Guess it might have something to do with the sensory deprivation you sub-types had to endure on those mullti-month cruises, but those of us in the aviation business didn't think of this as a "plug into" device.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:03 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hmmmm.* Guess it might have something to do with the sensory deprivation you sub-types had to endure on those mullti-month cruises, but those of us in the aviation business didn't think of this as a "plug into" device.
Good point. I think it has a lot to do with the size, longevity, reliability, and endurance of the power source...

Back on topic, I sure hope the current security hysteria settles down in the next month or two. We have to fly to Maui for a tae kwon do tournament in November, and I'm not looking forward to having to explain the $1700 knee braces in my carryon luggage. It might be easier to just wear the darn things through the checkpoint.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:33 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I leave tomorrow for a 3 week trip that includes 6 flights - I usually bring about 4 bottles of water with me on a flight and drink most of it (I have a fear of dehydration) so, this should be fun - and I can't even use the "refill" option after chugging at the airport!
Old 08-31-2006, 10:12 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Good point.* I think it has a lot to do with the size, longevity, reliability, and endurance of the power source...

Back on topic, I sure hope the current security hysteria settles down in the next month or two.* We have to fly to Maui for a tae kwon do tournament in November, and I'm not looking forward to having to explain the $1700 knee braces in my carryon luggage.* It might be easier to just wear the darn things through the checkpoint.
I have a CPAP machine for sleep apnea that I always take as carry on. It always causes some grief at the security area but I have never been denied it as a carry on despite it being a 8 pound machine with hoses, pumps and wires. I just tell them what it is before they run it through the X ray machine so they won't be too suprised when it shows up on their equipment as a device of interest.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:15 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

SteveR,

Do you use the CPAP on the plane? Or do you just want to make durn sure it doesn't get lost in transit?

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:30 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I don't use it on the plane but I have a friend that has one that runs on a battery and he uses it on long international flights. He would be dead without it.

I just want to make sure mine gets to where I am going when I get there. The airline is required to allow it to go with me as carry-on even if I already have 2 items already.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:55 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Ah. I read up on CPAPs for a while when I thought I might have apnea. I was amazed at how many people noticed the deleterious effects of sleeping without it even for a nap or one night.

I am glad the airplanes let you carry it on like that.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote