Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Which of the following would you do?
Buy the truffles in both scenarios 18 35.29%
Buy the Hershey kiss in both scenarios 27 52.94%
Buy the truffle in the first scenario, kiss in the second 5 9.80%
Buy the kiss in the first scenario, truffle in second 1 1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2008, 07:53 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Both chocolates are crappy. I'd go next door and pay 50 cents for a real truffle.

Life is too short for crappy chocolate.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2008, 09:39 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
The folks on the board are lousy at following directions.
If we followed directions, we'd keep working until we were 67

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I do know what a Lindt truffle is and it is far better than a Hershey's kiss. I think that a penny for a Hershey's kiss is about right - but $.14 or $.15 for a Lindt truffle is a very good bargain. I'll take the truffles in both cases,
Old 06-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I'd pass on both . I don't like candy or dessert .
Old 06-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #25

Two answers...

First:

I shop for the best value to fulfill a given need. It's too simplistic to compare a truffle to a kiss. Nominally, they're both chocolate, but they deliver a rather different taste experience in both cases. So, if I were in the market for a truffle, then I would go for the truffle both times.

On the other hand, if I simply needed a quick chocolate fix, then I would go with the kiss both times.

Second:

I did some quick comparison shopping... I need to do some more, but this is just what was convenient for me. The grocery store carried Lindt bars but no truffles. However, they did have bags of kisses. The price per kiss worked out to roughly 3.45 cents. 1 cent is a fantastic deal if your intrinsic valuation if kisses hovers close to the market value of 3.45 cents.

The company store is selling Lindt truffels for 40 cents each. Again, 15 or 14 cents is a fantastic deal.

Given that, I would buy the kisses at a cent and take a long straddle on the truffles for August and September calls. Given a market price as high as 40 cents and as low as 14 cents with a 1-day swing of 1 cent, the option to cash in on the volatility is a pretty good bet. Plus, it should be pretty easy to mark up the kisses 100% and still get a buyer on the chocolate spot market.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

Lindt Lindor Truffles (Milk Chocolate) - INGREDIENTS: Milk Chocolate [Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Milk, Chocolate, Soya Lecithin (Emulsifier), Barley Malt Powder, Vanillin (Artificial Flavoring)], Vegetable Oil (Coconut, Palm Kernel), Sugar, Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Milk, Soya Lecithin (Emulsifier), Barley Malt Powder, Vanillin (Artificial Flavoring), Caramel Flavoring.

Hershey's Kisses - INGREDIENTS: Milk Chocolate (Sugar, Milk Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Lactose, Milk Fat, Soy, Lecithin, and PGPR, Emulsifiers, and Vanillin, Artificial Flavor).

The presence of solid vegetable fats in the Lindt truffles has always made them feel congealed on my tongue. I'd go for the Kiss every time.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
The presence of solid vegetable fats in the Lindt truffles has always made them feel congealed on my tongue. I'd go for the Kiss every time.
OK, in your case it's a Vosges truffle for 15˘ vs a Hershey's Kiss for 1˘. Please vote again...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I found myself thinking about this thread when I needed to fill my gas tank. My car takes premium fuel. The first place I was going to stop at was 4.359 for premium. I decided to bypass that for an unknown price at another station that ended up being 6 cents cheaper at the other station. So, good move, saved 90 cents for 15 gallons.

Still, the point is, would I have bothered looking for cheaper gas a few years ago when it was 2.359? If I still could have saved 90 cents, but the fillup was only $35 versus $65 would I still have bothered trying to find the cheapest gas? Hrm...

---

Oh, and if I had to go either/or, I'd probably choose the Lindt truffles. They just taste better.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Being a chocoholic I'd go for the kisses in scenario 1 and parcel them out over time. In scenario 2, I'd take as many of the freebies as possible, set some aside for future consumption, then go sell the rest at a penny a piece and come back and buy truffles.

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis” Margaret Bonnano
gandalf42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:37 AM   #30

Thanks for your reponses. I think I learned the following:

1. Some of our members don't like chocolate. :confused:

2. Some have been brought up like me, being told by parents to accept anything that was "free."

3. Some agree that Lindt chocolates aren't "all that."

4. Our members have some interesting attitudes and behaviors about consuming!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #31

i don't know what a lindt truffle is but it sounds like a mushroom you just pulled out of your pocket. i'll take the hershey kiss. always go for the sure thing.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Lindt truffles.

Wow, surprised you guys don't know what they are! I stumbled upon them while trying to snap up "fancy" chocolates for DW's xmas/bday/v-day gifts a few years ago. I have bought more since for similar occasions. Only $2-3 for a bag containing maybe 12 candies or so (that's walmart prices, folks, might be higher at "fancy" stores). Definitely worth trying. If you're going to eat high calorie chocolate, might as well make it divine.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #33

Thanks, Fuego, I so agree with you. Myself, a devoted chocolate fan, I love Lindt. In fact, since I have cut out sweets now, I find myself, amazingly, becoming more and more a chocolate snob; and can really discern the difference in quality SO much more than when I was scarfing everything that came my way in the form of chocolate.

TANGOMONSTER: I know you read a study about this somewhere to trigger you asking such an unusual question to the board. Divulge your source, sir.... And what did the article say about responses? Or was this from "Psychology Today" that rarely seems to give conclusions (at least, in my opinion).
Old 06-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #34

Orchidflower: I haven't read the book yet, but the study was from Predictably Irrational, by a professor of economics at MIT, Dan Ariely:

Amazon.com: Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions: Dan Ariely: Books

He talks about why people will steal office supplies but not money---and why people will order the second highest priced item on a menu when they wouldn't have ordered the same item had it been the highest.

As I understand it, the results were:

When people were asked if they would like a 15 cent Lindt truffle or 1 cent Hershey kiss, 73% noted that they would buy the truffle. When a penny was dropped off the price of each so that the truffle became 14 cents and the Hershey's kiss became free, only 31% chose the truffle.

The point of it was that "we often show bad judgment in life, like allotting too much value to things that are free."

And I'm not a Sir....(see my tagline)....