Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

You sound like me when I play bachelor. However, this year I tried to keep up on the dishes and such. I found I liked it better. Who knew?

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I always did the same thing as the fed when DH travelled -- waiting until the last day to dung out the joint. Then I got caught. I had left a sharp knife next to the sink to be washed. Unbeknownst to me DH's favorite kitty licked said knife and cut his tongue. He had a forked tongue for the rest of his life and was a very messy drinker.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My solution is called housemaids (who come to clean my condo once in a while)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Problem: Dishes piling up while in bachelor mode
Solution: Paper or plastic plates, cups and utensils.

Rocket science, eh?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
My solution is called housemaids (who come to clean my condo once in a while)
Ditto...once a month my housecleaner shows up to do the place top to bottom.
I maintain the cleanliness in between her visits.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #25

DH apparently followed the same delay tactic for many years while I was traveling up to 3 weeks a month for MegaCorp. His system worked ok until the one time he had to make a quick unplanned trip to his sick father.

I knew something was up when I retrieved a VM from him as I got off my plane in which he apologized for what I was about to walk into...yikes! Amazing how messed up a house can get in a few days!

I think he learned a lesson...but come to think of it, he's not had any other emergency absences either.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:10 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

You can always clean up a mess later - it will be there waiting for you.

The fun you could have right now (instead of cleaning up) may not be able to be enjoyed later. Besides, the place will just be dirty again later. Why clean now?

I have always told DW that my extreme laziness is just a method of efficiency. For example, emptying the trash cans around the house every 9 days instead of every 7 days leads to 22% less trash emptying. Efficiency.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Problem: Dishes piling up while in bachelor mode
Solution: Paper or plastic plates, cups and utensils.
Rinse, re-use, repeat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
For example, emptying the trash cans around the house every 9 days instead of every 7 days leads to 22% less trash emptying. Efficiency.
Around here, making that observation would result in me being 100% in charge of emptying the trash.

Early in our marriage, when I had no idea what I was getting into, I made a similar offhanded efficiency observation about dishwasher packing loading. I've been in charge of dishwasher loading now for nearly 24 years.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:16 AM   #28

At my wedding (33 years ago!) an elderly lady who was a friend of my late mother's sidled up to me and said, "Honey, I want to give you some words of advice. Whatever you start, you will be doing the rest of your life. Don't ever take out the trash or cut the grass."
Actually my husband was pretty good about partnering with chores except for cleaning and laundry. Overall, I think he did more than I as he maintained the house (I never had to change so much as a light bulb), cars, yard and did anything that was messy, potentially dangerous or involved heavy lifting.
In our later years together he did almost all the shopping and cooking, too, as he started work at the crack of dawn and got home mid-afternoon which was a couple of hours before I returned home. When I got in, he usually told me to sit down in the living room and relax, fetched me a glass of wine and brought over the papers and my mail. He didn't like to share the kitchen.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Don't ever take out the trash or cut the grass."
Ouch, that just described spouse.

I had a high-school job on a golf course, and I've cut enough grass to last a lifetime. She, however, spends most of her time finding ways to reduce the yard's grass square footage with ground cover & mulch. Everyone wins.

Most of what we used to throw out as "trash" is now compost/vermipost. So I guess I'm taking that out too.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Around here, making that observation would result in me being 100% in charge of emptying the trash.

Early in our marriage, when I had no idea what I was getting into, I made a similar offhanded efficiency observation about dishwasher packing loading. I've been in charge of dishwasher loading now for nearly 24 years.
I'm already on trash duty. Somehow DW got stuck with dishes duty and I received trash duty. That's a big win for me.

But to appease DW, we just bought a new high(er) efficiency quiet dishwasher that actually cleans the dishes really well without having to pre-wash them. DW no longer minds doing the dishes as much. And the energy and water savings will probably pay for the DW (dishwasher) over its service life. Efficiency.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #31

When it comes to housework, I admit I am totally a lazy, procrastinating slob. I have to psych myself up to get into it. If I had a little less pride, I'd hire someone to do the housework 24/7, but I feel that would be really just too lazy when I really am perfectly capable of doing it. So I do it...grudgingly...and pencil it in on the calendar.
The two rooms in my house that are always super clean are the kitchen and the bathroom, tho. For some reason, I cannot tolerate dirt there. Go figure?
Old 11-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
You can always clean up a mess later - it will be there waiting for you.

The fun you could have right now (instead of cleaning up) may not be able to be enjoyed later. Besides, the place will just be dirty again later. Why clean now?
That was my way of doing things for many years while my family was still with me. I think it was mostly due to "it will just get dirty again right after I clean it"...so I gave up having a really nice clean house every week during that time. Things are a little different now tho. I know that if I clean something now that it will stay clean for awhile or not cluttered for awhile. It's the stress of having things messy that gets to me.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I have only been married for a couple of years.... but being older at least I had some smarts....

When my wife was loading the dishes... and I pointed out how she was doing it wrong... she said 'stay out of my business'.... I almost started to argue about it (and might have for a minute)... but it then dawned on me that since I did not want to do it.... I should just shut up...

But... I still screw up because of lack of experience.... the other day we were going out to eat with the family, sis, BIL, and mom.... my wife said something (can't remember what).... I said something back etc... but my BIL made a comment like "that comment is a sure sign of someone that has not been married to long"...
Old 11-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #34

Quote:

oooh...so THAT'S what happened when i made a comment while we were having sex. i thought she had just been too busy to join

Old 11-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #35

I do not care what happens when I am not around. The things that "need" to be done "my way" - well, I do them. It is nice to come home to a clean house though!