Being Forced Out

Talked to my DH about this thread because he spent his entire working life in the corporate world and saw a lot of changes before he ER'd at 59. But one thing that didn't change was that if someone was put on a PIP, they would likely be terminated at the end. It killed him to be on the managerial end of a PIP, because it was difficult to get the employee to understand that business as usual would not be enough to save them. And the order to PIP someone often comes from higher up than the immediate supervisor. The DH usually encouraged them to seek other opportunities because as someone else aptly observed, it's easier to get a job if you've got a job.

Is there a chance the company would offer a severance package to her if she leaves prior to the PIP running its course? Even if not, it still seems to me that a fresh start somewhere else may be the best solution.

Granted, your wife may not be able to replace her current income, but if you and she both were employed full time, would you be able to make ends meet until her pension kicks in at 55? If you're self-employed now, perhaps you could continue your business, working around a job that will bring in some dependable income. Don't sell yourself short just because you haven't been on someone else's payroll for the last 20 years. When my DH was "downsized" in 2002, I polished up my resume and got back out there, even though I hadn't worked outside the home in about 4 years. I had been noodling around writing a novel or two (which eventually sold, but it did feel self-indulgent at the time). You have an advantage in that you can point to your business to explain what you've been doing with your time. If you're earning a paycheck too, that'll go a long way toward easing your wife's stress. It helped my DH that there were two of us pulling the cart when I went back to the working world.

Good luck!

Last edited:
My guess in the OP's location... unemployment is at record lows. Look around and find work that can fill the potential financial vacuum. Drop by your neighborhood State Employment office, take a couple of tests, talk to one of their representatives. You could be surprised at the possibilities.

With our public employer if you have a disability you can collect your pension at any age and the pension is not reduced. You can’t work somewhere else. Yes you can go out with a mental illness diagnosis. You would go see a psychiatrist.

I was also thinking a neurologist.

I saw the assistant controller at my former megabank (Fortune 500) diagnosed with the same rarer dementia that affected my mom.

Megabank 'retired' her at full pension though she did not have anywhere near 30 years.

+1 to maidensong's comments.

I spent my career with megacorp. In my experience a PIP was the kiss of death. Put in place in the hope that the ee would resign, or in a worst case situation, could be terminated with very little severance. A number of companies used this, plus the job transfer scam to reduce the cost of layoffs.

Not certain how the public or the unionized sector works.

My wife had her final PIP meeting yesterday and it went well. The PIP is closed and her supervisor considered everything was met with satisfaction. It has been a nervous six months for us, but we took a chance riding it out and thankfully had a positive outcome.

Of course, now my wife has the PIP on record, so there will be this stigma over her head until she can retire in a few years. So I think we'll still worry a bit as long as she's there, but at least the immediate threat is over. The supervisor she reported to generally thought this was an overreaction anyway, especially as more information came out later. The main supervisor who started the PIP is retiring in a few months.

Despite everything that happened my wife has been on good terms with her supervisors and coworkers and is still extremely dedicated to her job.

My wife had her final PIP meeting yesterday and it went well. The PIP is closed and her supervisor considered everything was met with satisfaction. It has been a nervous six months for us, but we took a chance riding it out and thankfully had a positive outcome.

Of course, now my wife has the PIP on record, so there will be this stigma over her head until she can retire in a few years. So I think we'll still worry a bit as long as she's there, but at least the immediate threat is over. The supervisor she reported to generally thought this was an overreaction anyway, especially as more information came out later. The main supervisor who started the PIP is retiring in a few months.

Despite everything that happened my wife has been on good terms with her supervisors and coworkers and is still extremely dedicated to her job.

That's great news. A great reminder that what is here today can be gone tomorrow. Happily not the case for your wife!

Great news. So glad it worked out for her.

Great news, and a virtual guarantee that in a couple of years she can retire happily, and on her own terms.

Having less stress in the workplace will help both of you, congrats on the PIP ending without stipulations. Things like this make retirement so much more satisfying when you can actually leave.

What you survive makes you stronger !

Back
Top Bottom