Being retired is hard....

To me, "work" means doing something you MUST do in order to bring in money. "Retirement" means doing anything you want to do, whether it brings in money or not. I'm not working now, and won't go back to a job that I don't want to do. But if I can find something I enjoy doing, and can get paid for it, I'll still consider myself as having retired.

Met a business broker on a flight to FL a few years ago. Said he was based in Naples, FL. I said he must keep busy due to all the retirees. "No, most I meet want a "business" where they can work only 10 hours a week, and make at least 100k a year. Good luck with that!"

Let me know what she finds for you. [emoji16]

Retired email

One thing about being retired... I can clean out my email inbox often..nothing of great consequence to worry about.. while wo*king, I would receive 100+ work related emails daily. Some important, most not, but still had to deal with them. I don't recall ever having an empty email inbox.

For me, retirement is very easy!

Those must be the same people who think anyone who owns a business, and of course all landlords, must be "rich."

"No, most I meet want a "business" where they can work only 10 hours a week, and make at least 100k a year. Good luck with that!"

I define work as something I'd walk away from if I wasn't getting paid to do it. Ask yourself if you would go into your job if you knew it was strictly as an unpaid position. If you answer yes you would, good! It's not work. If you answer no, then ask why you do it then. Do you need the extra dough? Obviously you don't value the human interaction enough to say it's worth nothing for your time.

After 4 years of FIRE, I've discovered I masked my true feelings about most people I work with; I don't like them. Stepping away from work and retrospect, it's now obvious how toxic these people were to me. I don't see how working any place else could be a change to that. After all, isn't the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results?

I do work though. I work on restoring classic motorcycles. It's quite lucrative as a matter of fact. I can enjoy my hobby of motorcycles, wrenching, and the only people I have to deal with are those who also are into my personal interests and not some business owner's interests. I take nothing on consignment. Just stumble upon a bike that looks worthy of restoration. Then I enjoy it for a bit and list it on craigslist, then start all over again.

Retired means not having to do anything anybody tells you unless they are married to you. Housework and home maintenance work still qualifies you as retired. Helping family on rare occasions still qualifies as retirement. Anything involving pay or a regular schedule is just plain work!

Last edited:
Anything involving pay or a regular schedule is just plain work!

Yeah, that's about the way I look at it also. I enjoy my freedom way too much to go back to conforming to someone else's schedule, and doing what they want me to do (as opposed to doing whatever I want to do). But if you enjoy working a little bit in retirement, then great, that is what you should do. It would never work for me, however.

3 to 5 days a month sounds perfect and in my mind does not disqualify you.

Back
Top Bottom