Being shocked - shocked! - that an actress looks older

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
At this point I'm ready to shut off my FB feed, due to all my 60-ish female friends and relatives who are busy worshiping Carrie Fisher for snapping back at some trolls who criticized her for daring to look older than she did in the first Star Wars movie. The constant repetition is getting...well, old.

That said, how could anyone be so rampantly stupid that they would expect a 59-year-old actress to still look 21? If somebody criticized me for looking older than I did in my college photos, that would be my first response...you're awfully stupid, everybody gets old...not, "You hurt my feelings." Harrison Ford, after all, looks even more used-up than Carrie Fisher does.

Thoughts?

I'm happy to look exactly the same as I did at 21.* But I can't expect everyone to be the same way, and don't. :D

More seriously, sometimes people are just idiots and should be ignored.

Edited to Add: calmloki's link is well worth clicking!

At this point I'm ready to shut off my FB feed, due to all my 60-ish female friends and relatives who are busy worshiping Carrie Fisher for snapping back at some trolls who criticized her for daring to look older than she did in the first Star Wars movie. The constant repetition is getting...well, old.

That said, how could anyone be so rampantly stupid that they would expect a 59-year-old actress to still look 21? If somebody criticized me for looking older than I did in my college photos, that would be my first response...you're awfully stupid, everybody gets old...not, "You hurt my feelings." Harrison Ford, after all, looks even more used-up than Carrie Fisher does.

Thoughts?

My thoughts? Even though I haven't seen any of that on Facebook (yet), it sounds gruesome.

I am sure glad that there is more to life than sitting around looking at my own 21 year old face in the mirror for decades. Most of the people I know do actually "get it". Life goes on (if we're lucky).

Last edited:

Thoughts?
I have found it relatively easy to stop posts on a certain topic. Facebook give you the option to "see less posts like this" or "I don't want to see this". Upper right hand corner of the post - pop up.

I just turned 70 this month. Something clicked, and I feel a sense of freedom and joy. I made it to the 7th level! The autumn of my life is incredibly beautiful.

Thanks - I already do this with ads I don't like (and over time, it seems to work)...didn't realize I could do it with posts from people. I don't want to shut off those people's posts entirely, though. Sometimes they have very interesting things to report.

I have found it relatively easy to stop posts on a certain topic. Facebook give you the option to "see less posts like this" or "I don't want to see this". Upper right hand corner of the post - pop up.

I am not sure about all of you, but when I look in the mirror I still see myself in my 20s. It's just when someone sends me a picture they recently took of me, I see someone a bit older...

One more reason not to waste my time with FaceBook.

Plenty of links of before and afters. Here's one. Some look to be fakes to me.

26 Celebs Who Haven't Exactly Aged Well (Slide #1) - Stars

I know I don't recognize or even remotely resemble the guy that's in my pictures when I was in my 20s. Of course I'm twice the man that I was 30 to 40 years ago. :LOL: Just need to step on the scales to prove it.

Last edited:
I just turned 70 this month. Something clicked, and I feel a sense of freedom and joy. I made it to the 7th level! The autumn of my life is incredibly beautiful.

This reminded me of a quote I heard in an old western movie. If anybody recognizes it and knows the film please post it here.

Three cowboys sitting around the campfire. The younger one says something about not wanting to get old. The older cowboy says: "I don't really mind gittin' older. I sorta takes the bother outta livin'.

I noticed this setting in by my late 40's.

One more reason not to waste my time with FaceBook.

Amen to that. Rarely more than a day or two goes by when I don't say to myself, "Thank goodness I have ZERO interest in Facebook!"

Thanks - I already do this with ads I don't like (and over time, it seems to work)...didn't realize I could do it with posts from people. I don't want to shut off those people's posts entirely, though. Sometimes they have very interesting things to report.

If you shut off posts from annoying friends, you can still visit their pages when the mood takes you. I am doing this right now with a relative who has just had a baby. I look at the baby pictures but skip right over the libertarian views.

Last edited:
Dunno, when I shave in the morning I always wonder who is the old fart looking back at me and how did he get into my mirror?

Or mark them as Acquaintances, rather than as Friends. You won't see any of there posts unless you go and look. You know this whole topic will pass in about a week. Give yourself peace of mind - change them to Acquaintances, then bring them back later.

Rita

One year after one of those Hollywood award shows, a female FB friend scornfully commented that Bette Midler "looked like someone's grandma" and then criticized Goldie Hawn for being overly nipped and tucked. Sometimes we women are our own worst enemies. Criticize one for trying too hard and criticize another for looking close to her age. I asked my friend what "somebody's grandma" looks like, anyway. She's one, I'm one, Bette Midler is one- and so, BTW, is Goldie Hawn!

I'm almost 63 and my face shows it. I wear glasses, I have grey hair and I gave up makeup during the feminist movement in the 1970s. On the other hand, I'm in darn good physical condition and wouldn't trade bodies with most of the 20-year olds I see around me. I also try to dress decently enough that I don't look like a total frump.

... That said, how could anyone be so rampantly stupid that they would expect a 59-year-old actress to still look 21?...

I don't think anybody would be that stupid. But people do get astonished when they see someone whose look falls way out of the normal expectation for that age group. Of course, it requires that you know the real age of the person.

I know some people whom I happen to know to be in the mid 50s. They look like 70+. Yikes!

And then, recently on a dinner cruise in Maui we shared a table with a couple who looked like they were in the early 50s. They volunteered that that day was their 45th anniversary. Later in the conversation, they said they got married while in college. So, they were around 65 and looked 15 years younger.

I have not seen the recent StarWar, nor readily know the age of actors and actresses. We also do not discuss this in my circle. But a recent thread on this forum brought up the look of StarWar cast, and it tickled my curiosity.

So I looked on the Web and saw that Fisher indeed looked a lot older than her 59, while Harrison did look his age of 73.

I saw this subject on the news show (at the gym). Must be a slow news day.

BREAKING NEWS! ACTRESS GOT OLD!

Why don't they play checkers or something? That'd be more interesting.

It could have said

"BREAKING NEWS! ACTRESS GOT OLD WAY BEFORE HER AGE"

But even then, she is not the only one, so why pick on her? :)

It's a lot easier to make a 59 year old look 14 years older than it is to to make a 73 year old look 59.

It's a lot easier to make a 59 year old look 14 years older than it is to to make a 73 year old look 59.

Tell that to people who spend lots of money on plastic surgery and botox to look younger. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom