Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-03-2016, 08:53 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just my opinion, but there are plenty of women (and men) who maintain their attractiveness as they age. They look older, yes, but are still sexy. Some age and look awful, yes. But some stay sexy. Examples: Helen Mirren stayed sexy until about 5 years ago, then wham, something happened. Last time I checked, Susan Sarandon was still hot. And plenty more I can't think of now.
John Galt III is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 09:23 AM   #42

Thank goodness that, for most of us, "looking hot" isn't one of our bigger priorities in life! Some of us never were to begin with. Others were, and lost it as we aged, while some were "hot", and still are as oldies. There are even those who look a bit wonky when young, and blossom as they age.

But to return to my original point, it's the character of a person that can be irresistibly attractive. The backhanded compliment, "she has a good personality" is really a bit odd when you think about it, because personality is actually far, far more important than mere looks.

In a vaguely related instance, I have a friend who is terribly concerned that, in her mid-40's, she is getting quite a lot of silver hairs. I happen to really like silver hair on women. You occasionally see quite young women whose hair has already begun to turn silver. I think it looks great. My friend hates it, so I let her know from time to time, that it looks good. She knows that I'm being sincere but of course, it's how she feels about herself that is the big determiner.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:42 AM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

Inside the mind of every 50 year old man is an 18 year old kid that looks in the mirror and says "What the F Happened?"
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:45 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Thank goodness that, for most of us, "looking hot" isn't one of our bigger priorities in life! Some of us never were to begin with. Others were, and lost it as we aged, while some were "hot", and still are as oldies. There are even those who look a bit wonky when young, and blossom as they age.

But to return to my original point, it's the character of a person that can be irresistibly attractive. The backhanded compliment, "she has a good personality" is really a bit odd when you think about it, because personality is actually far, far more important than mere looks.
Exactly! When I was young, I think I looked pretty hot (or at least hotter than now) but I didn't realize it then. "Youth is wasted on the young", as the saying goes. Despite being well educated, behind the prettier face at that age was a partial vacuum. I didn't yet have the life experiences that I have had by now. Not only was I empty headed and dumb about life, but also I was miserably unhappy and teenage hormones didn't help me to feel at all serene. I didn't yet quite know how to seize control of my life or what I wanted to do with it even if I did that.

Another old saying (I seem to be full of them this morning! ) is, "With age comes wisdom". I don't know that I am wise in an absolute sense, but I am sure wiser than I was in my teens. I have more perspective and experience. My 50's and 60's have been the very best decades of my life. So would I trade that to look hot? NO WAY. I hope that Carrie Fisher feels the same way (although I think she looks fine these days the way she is).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

W2R, much of your wisdom is your own, for sure, even without the quotes that pepper your great posts.

That bit about not being serene when we were young, and the confidence that comes with age? Wonderful.

Thanks for your good perspective.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:37 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Let's parse that caption.

"What the hell happened to her"? Haven't seen someone in 32 years? That's a typical reaction regardless of the other's age or sex because that's a lot of change to absorb in a moment. The man in the cartoon has had 32 years to know and accept what's happened to himself.

"Ugh" Mainstream movies and TV are cast with pretty people. The audience has been conditioned to expect it. Had this been a new character, it's unlikely Carrie Fisher would have been given an audition. It is what it is until people who want it different put up their own money to make movies.

I recently read about a first time TV show runner / head writer looking at head shots for the lead characters. When he got to the pile for the character with a description and type that included 'unattractive', he turned to the casting director and diplomatically asked why are you showing me pretty people? The casting director told him that in TV terms these are unattractive people.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:56 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I will not be seeing Star War until it appears as DVD at the local public library. But from Web photos, the recent Fisher does not look at all bad for that age. Some of her earlier photos taken before she shaped up for the role are something else. It's scary, is all I can say.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:59 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

There's a reason our eyesight gets worse as we age...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:29 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I will not be seeing Star War until it appears as DVD at the local public library. But from Web photos, the recent Fisher does not look at all bad for that age. Some of her earlier photos taken before she shaped up for the role are something else. It's scary, is all I can say.
Think Photoshop.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:30 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Inside the mind of every 50 year old man is an 18 year old kid that looks in the mirror and says "What the F Happened?"

And women too. Only everyone seems to criticize women for (gasp!) getting older. Personally, getting older beats the alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Think Photoshop.
Indeed. I have Scott Kelby's Professional Portrait Retouching Techniques on my bookshelf. It's not at all difficult to take 10 years and 20 lbs. off someone. Beyond that it starts to look faked.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Indeed. It's not at all difficult to take 10 years and 20 lbs. off someone. Beyond that it starts to look faked.

Are you available to just follow me around and do this on the fly?

Old 01-06-2016, 04:21 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Are you available to just follow me around and do this on the fly?
My two sisters already have me committed. Sorry.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

The technology will soon exist for a device that generates a cloaking/interference field, which, rather than reflecting light toward the viewer's eyes, would project/reflect light according to user-defined parameters, say George Clooney or Jennifer Aniston projections.

Until then, there's old technology: Alcohol

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:37 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
The technology will soon exist for a device that generates a cloaking/interference field, which, rather than reflecting light toward the viewer's eyes, would project/reflect light according to user-defined parameters, say George Clooney or Jennifer Aniston projections.

Until then, there's old technology: Alcohol

Oh hell yes.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:04 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Old 01-07-2016, 07:28 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
This song's title reminds me of a funny exchange in a 1990s Law & Order episode:

Detective Profaci: "You goin' to Hanratty's later?"
Detective Lennie Briscoe (played by the late Jerry Orbach): "Gotta date."
Detective Profaci: "At midnight? You call that a date, Lennie?"
Detective Lennie Briscoe: "The later it gets, the better they look."

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
Let's parse that caption.

"What the hell happened to her"? Haven't seen someone in 32 years? That's a typical reaction regardless of the other's age or sex because that's a lot of change to absorb in a moment. The man in the cartoon has had 32 years to know and accept what's happened to himself.

"Ugh" Mainstream movies and TV are cast with pretty people. The audience has been conditioned to expect it. Had this been a new character, it's unlikely Carrie Fisher would have been given an audition. It is what it is until people who want it different put up their own money to make movies.

I recently read about a first time TV show runner / head writer looking at head shots for the lead characters. When he got to the pile for the character with a description and type that included 'unattractive', he turned to the casting director and diplomatically asked why are you showing me pretty people? The casting director told him that in TV terms these are unattractive people.
What I think is funny about all of the talk about Carrie Fisher aging badly is that almost no one is saying the same thing about Mark Hamill, who looks at least as rough.

The ugliest guy in the world can be in movies and on TV, but the "ugly" women onscreen are still 8's.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:20 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Just my opinion, but there are plenty of women (and men) who maintain their attractiveness as they age......
I thought Joan Rivers looked amazing for her age, but then I've heard rumors that she switched from a plastic surgeon to a taxidermist a number of years before her untimely death..
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I am not sure about all of you, but when I look in the mirror I still see myself in my 20s. It's just when someone sends me a picture they recently took of me, I see someone a bit older...
Hah!! I know just what you mean...one day I realized I was actually shaving my dad's face in the mirror, and now I look in the mirror and think "Hello, Grampa!"

BTW, I think Carrie looks a lot better than the poor women who had their lips blown up (Melanie Griffith and Goldie Hawn come to mind) and other grotesquely disfiguring procedures done on themselves.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, carrie fisher, hollywodd, star wars, women's looks