Join Early Retirement Today

Being shocked - shocked! - that an actress looks older
Old 12-31-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Being shocked - shocked! - that an actress looks older

At this point I'm ready to shut off my FB feed, due to all my 60-ish female friends and relatives who are busy worshiping Carrie Fisher for snapping back at some trolls who criticized her for daring to look older than she did in the first Star Wars movie. The constant repetition is getting...well, old.

That said, how could anyone be so rampantly stupid that they would expect a 59-year-old actress to still look 21? If somebody criticized me for looking older than I did in my college photos, that would be my first response...you're awfully stupid, everybody gets old...not, "You hurt my feelings." Harrison Ford, after all, looks even more used-up than Carrie Fisher does.

Thoughts?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2015, 09:43 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

http://i.imgur.com/wzhFioV.png
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:45 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm happy to look exactly the same as I did at 21.* But I can't expect everyone to be the same way, and don't.

More seriously, sometimes people are just idiots and should be ignored.

Edited to Add: calmloki's link is well worth clicking!
2017ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post

Edited to Add: calmloki's link is well worth clicking!
+1
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:14 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
At this point I'm ready to shut off my FB feed, due to all my 60-ish female friends and relatives who are busy worshiping Carrie Fisher for snapping back at some trolls who criticized her for daring to look older than she did in the first Star Wars movie. The constant repetition is getting...well, old.

That said, how could anyone be so rampantly stupid that they would expect a 59-year-old actress to still look 21? If somebody criticized me for looking older than I did in my college photos, that would be my first response...you're awfully stupid, everybody gets old...not, "You hurt my feelings." Harrison Ford, after all, looks even more used-up than Carrie Fisher does.

Thoughts?
My thoughts? Even though I haven't seen any of that on Facebook (yet), it sounds gruesome.

I am sure glad that there is more to life than sitting around looking at my own 21 year old face in the mirror for decades. Most of the people I know do actually "get it". Life goes on (if we're lucky).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:28 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Thoughts?
I have found it relatively easy to stop posts on a certain topic. Facebook give you the option to "see less posts like this" or "I don't want to see this". Upper right hand corner of the post - pop up.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:37 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just turned 70 this month. Something clicked, and I feel a sense of freedom and joy. I made it to the 7th level! The autumn of my life is incredibly beautiful.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:40 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Thanks - I already do this with ads I don't like (and over time, it seems to work)...didn't realize I could do it with posts from people. I don't want to shut off those people's posts entirely, though. Sometimes they have very interesting things to report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I have found it relatively easy to stop posts on a certain topic. Facebook give you the option to "see less posts like this" or "I don't want to see this". Upper right hand corner of the post - pop up.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:40 AM   #9

I am not sure about all of you, but when I look in the mirror I still see myself in my 20s. It's just when someone sends me a picture they recently took of me, I see someone a bit older...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:48 AM   #10

One more reason not to waste my time with FaceBook.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:11 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Plenty of links of before and afters. Here's one. Some look to be fakes to me.

26 Celebs Who Haven't Exactly Aged Well (Slide #1) - Stars

I know I don't recognize or even remotely resemble the guy that's in my pictures when I was in my 20s. Of course I'm twice the man that I was 30 to 40 years ago. Just need to step on the scales to prove it.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
I just turned 70 this month. Something clicked, and I feel a sense of freedom and joy. I made it to the 7th level! The autumn of my life is incredibly beautiful.
This reminded me of a quote I heard in an old western movie. If anybody recognizes it and knows the film please post it here.

Three cowboys sitting around the campfire. The younger one says something about not wanting to get old. The older cowboy says: "I don't really mind gittin' older. I sorta takes the bother outta livin'.

I noticed this setting in by my late 40's.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:55 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
One more reason not to waste my time with FaceBook.
Amen to that. Rarely more than a day or two goes by when I don't say to myself, "Thank goodness I have ZERO interest in Facebook!"
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:56 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks - I already do this with ads I don't like (and over time, it seems to work)...didn't realize I could do it with posts from people. I don't want to shut off those people's posts entirely, though. Sometimes they have very interesting things to report.
If you shut off posts from annoying friends, you can still visit their pages when the mood takes you. I am doing this right now with a relative who has just had a baby. I look at the baby pictures but skip right over the libertarian views.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:19 PM   #15

Dunno, when I shave in the morning I always wonder who is the old fart looking back at me and how did he get into my mirror?
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Or mark them as Acquaintances, rather than as Friends. You won't see any of there posts unless you go and look. You know this whole topic will pass in about a week. Give yourself peace of mind - change them to Acquaintances, then bring them back later.

Rita
Old 12-31-2015, 12:58 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

One year after one of those Hollywood award shows, a female FB friend scornfully commented that Bette Midler "looked like someone's grandma" and then criticized Goldie Hawn for being overly nipped and tucked. Sometimes we women are our own worst enemies. Criticize one for trying too hard and criticize another for looking close to her age. I asked my friend what "somebody's grandma" looks like, anyway. She's one, I'm one, Bette Midler is one- and so, BTW, is Goldie Hawn!

I'm almost 63 and my face shows it. I wear glasses, I have grey hair and I gave up makeup during the feminist movement in the 1970s. On the other hand, I'm in darn good physical condition and wouldn't trade bodies with most of the 20-year olds I see around me. I also try to dress decently enough that I don't look like a total frump.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Thank you for this. As a woman who turned 60 last week, I think this link perfectly sums up the Carrie Fisher subject.
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:45 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
This about sums it up!

Old 12-31-2015, 01:52 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1, hilariously!

In my experience, the folks who complain about someone in their 50s (or older) not looking like they are in their 20's anymore are really reflecting their own fear of getting older.

Tags
aging, carrie fisher, hollywodd, star wars, women's looks