Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Belief-O-Matic -- A personality quiz about your religious and spiritual beliefs
Old 07-26-2006, 09:19 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Re: Belief-O-Matic -- A personality quiz about your religious and spiritual beliefs

I'm 100% Unitarian. 93% Liberal Quaker.

That's not a big surprise, but how I got 93% Mainline to Liberaal Christian Protestant must be a mistake.

Secular Humanist was only 82% and that's what I thought I would score highest on - I must have gotten soft in my old age.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Belief-O-Matic -- A personality quiz about your religious and spiritual beli
Old 07-26-2006, 09:24 AM   #22

Re: Belief-O-Matic -- A personality quiz about your religious and spiritual beli

1. Secular Humanism (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (99%)
3. Nontheist (96%)
4. Liberal Quakers (89%)
5. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (86%)

Interesting.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:34 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
It is basically wine and can be made in a range of styles from light and dry to extremely alcoholic and sweet.* I have a 5 gallon keg of mead that I bumped up to 16 to 18% alcohol (could have bumped it up more but didn't want to end up with rocket fuel) and have left aging for the past 5 or 6 years.* I haven't checked it in a long time, but when I get around to it, I plan on adding some honey to sweeten it and finish it in a port style.
Wow, we need to get together when you are ready to tap that! That's enough to make a rhino black out!
Old 07-26-2006, 09:55 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I couldn't make it past the first few questions! Too much trouble - I actually have to think.

Anyway - I gave up. What does that make me? LOL!

Audrey
Old 07-26-2006, 10:13 AM   #25

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
2. Secular Humanism (98%)
3. Liberal Quakers (94%)
4. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (92%)
5. Theravada Buddhism (90%)
6. Nontheist (86%)

Hmmm... not too surprising, except the "mainline to liberal christian protestants". The rest of em I could easily see myself going to a few meetings of their respective cults.

Holy Crap! - I just read the description of Secular Humanism and that is almost 100% my beliefs in a nutshell. Anybody know where they meet on Sundays? I could really get into that cult! Now I have a response to the "religion" question - "I'm a secular humanist". Never knew there was a title like that. Epiphany moment for me. Thanks.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:24 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

100% Mormon?!?* Gee, thanks, now I have Pepsi all over my monitor!*
Old 07-26-2006, 10:37 AM   #27

ehrrm.. hope that's caffeine-free Pepsi.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:41 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

My results

100% Unitarian
93% Liberal Quaker
93% Mahayana Buddism
92% Theravada Buddism
87% Taoism

Interesting! I've attended Unitarian churches before and enjoyed it. Those Quakers, they love peace and the earth. (glad to see so many on this board!)

Old 07-26-2006, 10:50 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was 100% Unitarian and 98% secular humanist. I lost the page and can't see the rest but I know Morman and liberal protestant were pretty high. The Morman part surprised me. I thought they were a pretty dogmatic conservative church, but they couldn't be with my answers.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:53 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina
ehrrm.. hope that's caffeine-free Pepsi.
Actually, Mormons don't have a problem with Pepsi or Coke, only with tea and coffee. Come to think of it, this is an important consideration. I don't know if I could get along with a denomination that would ban soda. The ban on pork, human sacrifices and whatnot -- sure, I can see that. But no soda would be just flat out, a deal breaker! * :P

Quote:
I thought they were a pretty dogmatic conservative church, but they couldn't be with my answers.
They are big on social services within the church, which may have affected the rating.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:57 AM   #31

Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants 90%

Unitarian Universalism *(84%)

Secular Humanism *(75%)

Nontheist *(72%)

Sounds like just the right balance. *HA! *Smart enough to know our fate lies *not in our stars but in ourselves. Wise enough to consider the possibility we just might not be in this alone. With *a nod to *2000 yrs of western Civ. *

The Jesuits and allied practitioners in "The Nunnery" were preaching to the choir. Like water off a duck's back. I always asked "Why?" They just weren't up for it. *Didn't fit their coporate model.

The only answer to "Why" *experts or authorities in any situation have ever been able to give has been: *Because or *some form of Do it or I'll hurt you

Old 07-26-2006, 11:10 AM   #32

Here are my results:
1. Mahayana Buddhism (100%)
2. Neo-Pagan (96%)
3. Hinduism (91%)
4. New Age (80%)
5. Unitarian Universalism (80%)
6. Jainism (76%)
7. New Thought (75%)
8. Reform Judaism (75%

Cya in the next life!
Old 07-26-2006, 11:47 AM   #33

oh my god, i'm a liberal quaker too. i don't even know what the hell a quaker is. i actually did have instant oatmeal last night for dinner. and i love the wild quaker parrots we have flying around. so maybe i am a quaker after all. wouldn't you like to be a quaker too?

um, i think this thing is a qurock.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:51 AM   #34

Quote:
oh my god, i'm a liberal quaker too. i don't even know what the hell a quaker is. i actually did have instant oatmeal last night for dinner. and i love the wild quaker parrots we have flying around. so maybe i am a quaker after all. wouldn't you like to be a quaker too?
I scored fairly high with Liberal Quaker too andI dont even know what they are. My conception of them is actualy QUAKER=CONSERVATIVE/Old Fashioned . Thee/Thou/. And super-duper Peacenicks/Conciencious objector types

Old 07-26-2006, 11:59 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
I couldn't make it past the first few questions! Too much trouble - I actually have to think.
Anyway - I gave up. What does that make me? LOL!
Audrey
I guess you've already reached enlightenment!
Old 07-26-2006, 01:26 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz
I scored fairly high with Liberal Quaker too andI dont even know what they are. My conception of them is actualy QUAKER=CONSERVATIVE/Old Fashioned . Thee/Thou/. And super-duper Peacenicks/Conciencious objector types

Here is some info on the Quakers - they sound like very cool people tp me!! http://www.beliefnet.com/story/44/story_4454_1.html

What is the Religious Society of Friends?
The Religious Society of Friends is the name of the group commonly known as Quakers. Friends are a Christian group who believe in the presence of God within each person, often referred to as the "Inner Light." Quakers emphasize a personal commitment to God and humanitarian causes.

When was Quakerism founded?
The Religious Society of Friends was founded in the mid-17th century in England by George Fox (1624-1691).

Where did the names "Friends" and "Quaker" come from?
The Society of Friends took its name from the New Testament gospel of John, which says, "You are my friends if you do whatever I command." (John 15:12-15). The original Quakers called themselves "Friends of Truth" after this verse. They were also known as the "Children of Light."

The Society of Friends is commonly known as Quakers because the original Friends were mocked for "trembling with religious zeal."

What are the major Friends groups currently in the U.S.?
There are three major organized groups of Friends in the U.S. today:
# Friends United Meeting claims about 100,000 members worldwide, including 40,000 in the U.S.
# Friends General Conference claims about 33,000 members in the U.S. and Canada
# Evangelical Friends Alliance claims over 100,000 members in 20 countries.

Where are the largest number of Quakers in the U.S.?
According to Adherents.com, the five states with the largest number of Quakers are: Indiana, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and California, in that order.

What happens in Quaker meetings?
Friends meetings can be programmed or unprogrammed. Programmed meetings are usually led by a pastor and are more like a church service than unprogrammed meetings. Unprogrammed meetings are based on the idea of "expectant waiting." Members sit in silence until someone has a message they want to share with the group, and there are no prearranged prayers or readings. Read more about unprogrammed Friends meetings here.

Quaker meetings are organized into regular cycles: different groups have preparative, monthly, and yearly meetings.

Are all Quakers pacifists?
According to the an introduction to Quakerism from the Friends General Conference, the Society of Friends does not require all its members to be pacifists. The Quaker position on pacifism is that it is left up to each individual in deciding whether to serve in the armed forces. Beliefnet columnist Kenneth Briggs provides additional details to this question in a recent column.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:40 PM   #37

all my rainbow flag waving quaker friends are getting together next year. we're gonna ride our horses & buggies in the gay pride parade.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:15 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
all my rainbow flag waving quaker friends are getting together next year. we're gonna ride our horses & buggies in the gay pride parade.
Don't forget to wave your rainbow flag in memory of the most famous Quaker of them all -- Richard Milhous Nixon*
Old 07-26-2006, 06:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
I think the horses and buggies are Amish, not Quaker. But it sounds like fun anyway!
Old 07-26-2006, 07:41 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

I have Quaker friends. It's all about living fairly. It's also possible to be Quaker AND practice another religion at the same time. Quaker meetings are very quiet and contemplative. There is no set service. People speak when they feel like speaking. And there isn't any music. How can you have church with no music?