Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Belief-O-Matic -- A personality quiz about your religious and spiritual beliefs
Old 07-26-2006, 11:18 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac
Re: Belief-O-Matic -- A personality quiz about your religious and spiritual beliefs

In light of my newly found compatible religions, I picked up a CD by Matisyahu on iTunes. It's kinda reggae/rap... by a rabbi. Not bad.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Belief-O-Matic -- A personality quiz about your religious and spiritual beli
Old 07-27-2006, 11:55 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Belief-O-Matic -- A personality quiz about your religious and spiritual beli

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnad
I have Quaker friends. It's all about living fairly. It's also possible to be Quaker AND practice another religion at the same time. Quaker meetings are very quiet and contemplative. There is no set service. People speak when they feel like speaking. And there isn't any music. How can you have church with no music?
I've been to a Quaker meeting. I think the music would help cover up the snoring...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:22 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It looks like a number of us "wondering" souls fall into similar catagories.
No surprise here.

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
2. Neo-Pagan (92%)
3. Liberal Quakers (88%)
4. Mahayana Buddhism (82%)
5. New Age (82%)

Now, if I combine these practices by, chanting (Mahayana Buddhism), smoking cannabis (New Age), then initiating gentle (Liberal Quakers), sexual rites (Neo-Pagan), to nubile young virgins which would be followed by pondering the mysteries of the universe (Unitarian Universalism). .
Old 07-27-2006, 01:58 PM   #44

1. Nontheist (100%)
2. Secular Humanism (100%)

I win.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:14 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond
It looks like a* number of us "wondering" souls fall into similar catagories.
No surprise here.

1. Unitarian Universalism* (100%)
2. Neo-Pagan (92%)
3. Liberal Quakers (88%)
4. Mahayana Buddhism (82%)
5. New Age (82%)

Now, if I combine these practices by, chanting (Mahayana Buddhism), smoking cannabis (New Age), then initiating gentle (Liberal Quakers),* sexual rites (Neo-Pagan), to nubile young virgins which would be followed by pondering the mysteries of the universe (Unitarian Universalism).* .
Probably get you eternity in Prisonus Maximus... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:26 PM   #46

When the US is polled, about 97% say they believe in at least one deity. It would seem that we're (as a group) different from the general public in more than LBYM to FIRE. Perhaps the self-reliance thing? Staring into our past, present, and future finances prepares us to stare into the abyss? We're too coastal/educated/hip/scientific? Too busy poring over our spreadsheets--and kayaking--to ponder the imponderable?
Old 07-27-2006, 03:32 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
When the US is polled, about 97% say they believe in at least one deity. It would seem that we're (as a group) different from the general public in more than LBYM to FIRE. Perhaps the self-reliance thing? Staring into our past, present, and future finances prepares us to stare into the abyss? We're too coastal/educated/hip/scientific? Too busy poring over our spreadsheets--and kayaking--to ponder the imponderable?
Maybe it's causal. By diverting 10% extra into our portfolios by not tithing, we're able to FIRE. The god-fearing folks are still working and a-tithing away?
Old 07-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #48

Along with most Canadians and Europeans I just roll my eyes in disbelief at the number of religious wingnuts in the USA! :
Old 07-27-2006, 05:16 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
Along with most Canadians and Europeans I just roll my eyes in disbelief at the number of religious wingnuts in the USA! :
seems to me that there are far more religious wingnuts in the rest of the world...(iran, pakistan, afghanistan, et.al.)
Old 07-27-2006, 05:19 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As you mentioned here...
Quote:
One thing Canadians, Australians, Brits, and Europeans can't figure out, is, why are there are so many "religious nutjobs" running around in the US?
here...
Quote:
I was the one who mentioned there seemed to be a lot of "religious nutjobs" running amok in America.
here...
Quote:
Jimmy Swaggart is an excellent posterboy for all you religious nuts!
here...
Quote:
The Zippers have subscribed to Newsweek for 35 years.
If they run one more religious-nut cover, we're gone.
here...
Quote:
Typical of the Religious Right fundamentalist mindset.
here...
Quote:
The world would be a much safer place without the rabid religious wingnuts all trying to outdo each other.
here...
Quote:
One thing I will brag about Canada is that we don't have as many religious nutjobs running around up here!
and here...
Quote:
Chalk one up for the "Religious Nutjobs".

It's beyond me why you put up with this crap in the 'Good ol' US of A"?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:25 PM   #51

Oh god.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:12 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:28 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
As you mentioned here...
here...
here...
here...
here...
here...
here...
and here...

whoa!! hahaha

....heres a question for our religion basher: Who is more irrational? A man who believes in a God he can't see, or a man who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?
Old 07-27-2006, 06:34 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
....heres a question for our religion basher: Who is more irrational? A man who believes in a God he can't see, or a man who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?
Just to be sure we set the record straight, my post was directed at the repetitive redundancy of the theme rather than the substance of the subject matter.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:48 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Maybe it's causal.* By diverting 10% extra into our portfolios by not tithing, we're able to FIRE.* The god-fearing folks are still working and a-tithing away?* *
It's hard to tell how representative these forums' contributors are of the "early retirees" set. Once a certain critical mass of like minded active community members is reached, potential otherwise eligible contributors who do not feel that they fit in may be increasingly likely to move on in search of greener pastures. Or at least avoid topics where they would expect to be in the minority.

There have been quite a few studies of conformist behavior in humans, but I don't know if any have been internet-specific. In my experience, it doesn't take much -- roughly a 60-40 ratio -- for the "minority" participants of an Internet board/forum to become reluctant to speak up when they expect to be outnumbered. I guess they just don't like to admit that they are in the minority, no matter how inconsequential it may be. Weak, pathetic creatures!

Having said that, I am sure that the quiz was in error when it identified me as a closet Mormon. It must have used a wrong session id or something! *
Old 07-27-2006, 07:00 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Just to be sure we set the record straight, my post was directed at the repetitive redundancy of the theme rather than the substance of the subject matter.

Ok. Since we are on the record - For the record- I am not affiliated with any religion or church. I have not been in a church for the purposes of worship in decades (weddings, funerals,baptisms, etc are not worship ...)
Old 07-28-2006, 12:24 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge
It's hard to tell how representative these forums' contributors are of the "early retirees" set. Once a certain critical mass of like minded active community members is reached, potential otherwise eligible contributors who do not feel that they fit in may be increasingly likely to move on in search of greener pastures. Or at least avoid topics where they would expect to be in the minority.
There have been quite a few studies of conformist behavior in humans, but I don't know if any have been internet-specific. In my experience, it doesn't take much -- roughly a 60-40 ratio -- for the "minority" participants of an Internet board/forum to become reluctant to speak up when they expect to be outnumbered. I guess they just don't like to admit that they are in the minority, no matter how inconsequential it may be. Weak, pathetic creatures!
Having said that, I am sure that the quiz was in error when it identified me as a closet Mormon. It must have used a wrong session id or something!
Other than Greaney's & Raddr's boards, I'm not aware of any other ER forums. (NFB is gone and IMO MF is no longer an ER forum.) So the three boards appear to be pretty representative of the ERs with opinions to express.

I don't think the "minorities" feel reluctant-- only apathetic. Or maybe they're just trying to find something else to do all day...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:45 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge
It's hard to tell how representative these forums' contributors are of the "early retirees" set. Once a certain critical mass of like minded active community members is reached, potential otherwise eligible contributors who do not feel that they fit in may be increasingly likely to move on in search of greener pastures. Or at least avoid topics where they would expect to be in the minority. . . .
I have to agree. Although my values seem to match up fairly well with the mainstream on this board, I've figured out that if I post on certain topics, I better be ready to take a lot of grief. Sometimes (after enough wine) I go ahead and take on the grief. And I don't hesitate to spread it around once I've been sh#t on. But increasingly, I choose to avoid the piling on effect for certain topics. During the past year or so I've watched a number of posters (who I thought were interesting) face fairly harsh criticism for something they felt strongly about and eventually disappear. Others fit right in and are then forgiven for the same opinions. Discussion boards tend to get cliquish. This one is no exception.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:04 AM   #59

Here are my results, whether or not they fit in with this forum or not:
1.* Unitarian Universalism (100%)*
2.* Liberal Quakers (92%)*
3.* Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (89%)*
4.* Neo-Pagan (89%)*

It's hard for me to get spiritual; I don't do much to develop along those lines.* There was a time about 10 years or so when I was heartbroken and was devoted more to finding some comfort and meaning in life.* I read a bit about Buddhism, tried going to different churches (Unitarian, Unity, Catholic).* Then I settled on a Catholic church and joined the choir but stopped when I realized I was more excited about the singing than actually following the rules.* Now, I'm just busy with the day-to-day grind.

I was raised Catholic so I still have the image of God the Father and Jesus, the Son.* I don't know why I easily forget about the Holy Spirit--maybe because He/It has no bodily image in my mind.* The Father is always a Zeus-like image, and Jesus is well, the sweet-faced one with long hair parted in the middle, a moustache and beard, and beautiful slightly-sad eyes.*

I was pulled into Buddhism for a while, and to this day, I try to meditate once every six months or so, but I still find myself saying a prayer to God as habit after 12 years in Catholic grade school and high school.

It sounds bad but exploring matters of the spirit is one of the things I hope to do in ER.* Something tells me if I'm not doing it now, I probably won't then, either.* Really, if one believes that spiritual stuff is the most important thing, one would be devoting one's time to it now instead of some far-off future.* So maybe I'm fooling myself that I am more spritual than* I am* * But then again, maybe I really CAN devote more time when retired to this. Hmmm...may be a topic for another thread...
Old 07-28-2006, 08:28 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Other than Greaney's & Raddr's boards, I'm not aware of any other ER forums.* (NFB is gone and IMO MF is no longer an ER forum.)* So the three boards appear to be pretty representative of the ERs with opinions to express.
I would add one caveat: "ERs with opinions to express on Internet discussion boards". I work in the IT world and even here there is a clear divide between those who use Internet forums/boards/newsgroups/etc and those who don't. To some extent it's generational with people under 40-45 considerably more likely to get involved.