Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Belief-O-Matic -- A personality quiz about your religious and spiritual beli
Old 07-28-2006, 10:53 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Re: Belief-O-Matic -- A personality quiz about your religious and spiritual beli

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstress
Then I settled on a Catholic church and joined the choir but stopped when I realized I was more excited about the singing than actually following the rules.
As a young teenager, I used to go to Temple. Although I didn't realize it then, I went to hang out with my cousin and go over to my Aunt's house for a typical Saturday Jewish traditional meal. I really miss the great cholent my Aunt made. I don't miss going to Temple.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Belief-O-Matic -- A personality quiz about your religious and spiritual beliefs
Old 08-01-2006, 09:10 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Re: Belief-O-Matic -- A personality quiz about your religious and spiritual beliefs

vagabond,
A lot of my good childhood memories about going to church, too, are wrapped up with the other things that happened after church, like Sunday lunch out or department-store shopping.*

Most times, we would just buy popcorn to eat and goldfish for pets (yes!) in the church courtyard afterwards, before heading home.

I did like the rituals, too, like the kneeling and standing, the sound of the bells, the prayers and hymns, the sight of the cup and Host...

Old 08-03-2006, 10:00 PM   #63
Administrator

Old 12-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #64

This was interesting...shall we resurrect this thread for the newcomers? Stumbled across it as a referral at the bottom of the page (many older posts are interesting!)

So much for being raised Roman Catholic!

1. Orthodox Judaism (100%) 2. Sikhism (92%)
Go figure!
Old 12-03-2007, 01:08 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Good revival fireup,

Looks like they're pretty much right on for me...

1. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (100%) 2. Orthodox Quaker (88%) 3. Liberal Quakers (83%) 4. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (72%)
Old 12-03-2007, 01:26 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

As you can see, dangerous territory.

Me, I think Einstein articulated my beliefs well:

My views are near to those of Spinoza: admiration for the beauty of and belief in the logical simplicity of the order and harmony which we can grasp humbly and only imperfectly. I believe that we have to content ourselves with our imperfect knowledge and understanding and treat values and moral obligations as a purely human problem — the most important of all human problems.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #67

I'm with you on that Martha.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum;413079 (7/26/06)
oh my god, i'm a liberal quaker too. i don't even know what the hell a quaker is. i actually did have instant oatmeal last night for dinner. and i love the wild quaker parrots we have flying around. so maybe i am a quaker after all. wouldn't you like to be a quaker too?

um, i think this thing is a qurock.
ok, well, just maybe i stand corrected. not such a qurock afterall.

just retook the test thinking that my answers would depend on my mood at the time. yet i'm still a liberal quaker. but just as interesting to see what we are is to see what we are not. how about listing your top & bottom 5 or 10.

the top 10:
1. Liberal Quakers (100%) 2. Unitarian Universalism (99%) 3. Neo-Pagan (93%) 4. Secular Humanism (91%) 5. New Age (88%) 6. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (84%) 7. Mahayana Buddhism (80%) 8. Taoism (80%) 9. Theravada Buddhism (76%) 10. Reform Judaism (67%)

the bottom 10:
17. Sikhism (55%) 18. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (50%) 19. Hinduism (36%) 20. Orthodox Judaism (33%) 21. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (28%) 22. Islam (28%) 23. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (26%) 24. Seventh Day Adventist (24%) 25. Eastern Orthodox (15%) 26. Roman Catholic (15%) 27. Jehovah's Witness (13%)

ps, martha, love that einstein quote. what an eloquent man.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #69

It looks like they don't even admit to the possibility that an atheist exists.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:51 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
It looks like they don't even admit to the possibility that an atheist exists.
Secular humanist or nontheist.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

The religion I was born into is Catholicism. That being said, according to the quiz and my beliefs, Roman Catholic ranked #26 out of 27 possible religions. I find it amusing that I was born and raised Catholic and my belief system turned out to be SO different from what Catholics believe.

I've never heard of Unitarian Universalism but they were my number one match.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:25 PM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyerishgold View Post
...............I've never heard of Unitarian Universalism but they were my number one match.
I was born into the UU church, but most members are "converts" who frequently say, "I've been a UU for a long time, I just didn't know it".
Old 12-04-2007, 05:28 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Secular humanist or nontheist.

I understood that, but since this is all about labels I'm amused that they are afraid of mentioning the term that is most commonly used to describe that orientation.

I'm just sayin'.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:01 AM   #74

Unitarian, Liberal quaker, Neo Pagan.. humm
Old 12-05-2007, 01:09 PM   #75

About what I'd expect.

Top 3
1. Nontheist (100%) 2. Secular Humanism (97%) 3. Theravada Buddhism

Bottom 3
25. Jehovah's Witness (5%) 26. New Thought (5%) 27. Scientology (5%)
Old 12-05-2007, 07:52 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Secular Humanism (100%)
Theravada Buddhism (94%)
Unitarian Universalism (94%)
Nontheist (82%)
Liberal Quakers (80%)
Neo-Pagan (70%)
Mahayana Buddhism (65%)

Not bad for a Catholic girl, eh?
Roman Catholicism was #26 of 27.
Go figure.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:19 PM   #77
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge View Post
It's hard to tell how representative these forums' contributors are of the "early retirees" set. Once a certain critical mass of like minded active community members is reached, potential otherwise eligible contributors who do not feel that they fit in may be increasingly likely to move on in search of greener pastures. Or at least avoid topics where they would expect to be in the minority.

There have been quite a few studies of conformist behavior in humans, but I don't know if any have been internet-specific. In my experience, it doesn't take much -- roughly a 60-40 ratio -- for the "minority" participants of an Internet board/forum to become reluctant to speak up when they expect to be outnumbered. I guess they just don't like to admit that they are in the minority, no matter how inconsequential it may be. Weak, pathetic creatures!

Having said that, I am sure that the quiz was in error when it identified me as a closet Mormon. It must have used a wrong session id or something! *
OK, I read the whole thread and as far as I know, nobody else had these results:

1. New Age (100%) 2. Mahayana Buddhism (95%) 3. Neo-Pagan (95%) 4. Taoism (93%)

NEW AGE? Aren't they those crazy crystal people and Shirley Maclaine and such? Sheesh. And Neo-Pagan? No way. I am dying of embarrassment here.

I always thought Taoism was most consistent my spirituality. At least that came through. Mahayana Buddhism is close.

My bottom three are: 25. Islam (18%) 26. Roman Catholic (18%) 27. Jehovah's Witness (11%)

Yup.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:59 PM   #78

Want2Retire, I'm jealous of your results. You sound much more interesting than me.
I just happened on this thread and took the test. I was hoping for Neo-Pagan because I pictured nifty long robes, loose living, and flowers in my hair.
But instead I got:
1. Secular Humanism (100%) 2. Unitarian Universalism (91%) 3. Liberal Quakers (80%) 4. Theravada Buddhism (78%) 5. Nontheist (74%) 6. Neo-Pagan (64%)
Sounds way too logical to be fun. I guess my idolization of Mr. Spock on Star Trek overcame my status as Recovering Catholic (#26 of 27).
Old 12-05-2007, 09:05 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
Want2Retire, I'm jealous of your results. You sound much more interesting than me.
I just happened on this thread and took the test. I was hoping for Neo-Pagan because I pictured nifty long robes, loose living, and flowers in my hair.
But instead I got:
1. Secular Humanism (100%) 2. Unitarian Universalism (91%) 3. Liberal Quakers (80%) 4. Theravada Buddhism (78%) 5. Nontheist (74%) 6. Neo-Pagan (64%)
Sounds way too logical to be fun. I guess my idolization of Mr. Spock on Star Trek overcame my status as Recovering Catholic (#26 of 27).
TooFrugal....we must be long lost twins!
Old 12-05-2007, 11:48 PM   #80

I just heard that Rupert Murdock just bought this site.