Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What a handsome pup! One of my dogs is a rescued Lab. She's a great companion and I'm sure your new guy will be too. (And crate training is a great idea.)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I misspoke when I said 'her'. My previous dog was a girl. Hard to break old habits. This is a male and was named 'Micah' by the previous owners. They adopted him and his sister at 7 weeks of age from the same rescue group. But due to the economy, they had to turn them back him. Micah's sister is in a foster home but he was at the rescue group's kennel.

I plan to crate train him. He has had some exposure to it. Oh yes, hard to beat the price on a rescue dog too. I paid $80 for a certified healthy pup, up to date on all shots and neutered. They had me run by a vet on the way out to get an updated rabies shot. Also gave me a couple of small bags of food that he has been on. Hard to beat.
He's a fine looking guy.

I always had male dogs before our little girl weiner dog. Sometimes she is still called "he" and she is now 14 years old.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:11 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations Dawg....................................it's a boy!
Old 10-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

He's a gorgeous boy! Congrats on the new family member. I'm a believer in crate training and have used crate training for both my shelties.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #25

Dawg: You did the right thing getting the dog sooner rather than later. Being with him will be the best way to remember the good times you had with her. Beautiful, but too lively for an old and lazy codger like me.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #26

Congratulations, he's a beauty. He is a lucky dog.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:52 AM   #27

Please, what does "crate training" mean?
Show some courtesy to a faithful Spanish posterr- Im trying my best
Old 10-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Please, what does "crate training" mean?
Show some courtesy to a faithful Spanish posterr- Im trying my best
It just means you teach your dog to stay in a crate at times as in the below pic. Mine looks similar. When you have a young pup they are prone to get into stuff when your not around so it keeps them safe and out of trouble. And a dog likes his little den space.

The first night he cried a little but settled down and slept just fine. Last night, much much better. He slept all the way through. When he matures, I wouldn't mind him sleeping in my room on a dog pillow. But right now he wants to explore a little too much. But crates are great when going out at night and keeping your dog safe and out of trouble.

The previous owner certainly worked with this dog some. He knows the sit command, down and stay command(a little). Needs some work but got a head start on the game. The paper work from the rescue groups says he knows the come-come command with hand signals and water retrieval commands. But does state work needed on all. I can't wait to take him to our local hiking trail with lake.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I always used crates when my shelties were young because they are such chewers. My current boy chewed drywall until he was about 2 years old unless you were right there with him. No way to guess how many drywall patch jobs we did. Our girl who passed away a few years ago chewed lamp cords in two, and chewed the legs on furniture. The crate kept them out of trouble when I couldn't supervise. Also helps with the housebreaking. We had the more open, all wire type crate, and I covered it with a blanket on one end for a cozy feel. My girl dog was a biter, so I would put her in her crate when people came to the house; this was for everyone's safety!
Old 10-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie View Post
DAWG Heaven! Now if she can run along side of the golf cart and find a ball in the rough you will be 100% set!
Quote:
... and water retrieval commands.
... and bring them 350 yards right back to the tee box...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Crates...keeping your dog safe and out of trouble.

...with hand signals and water retrieval commands. But does state work needed on all. I can't wait to take him to our local hiking trail with lake.
Have fun training your new kid!

Crates are the best for dogs with separation anxiety and those who insist on chewing things that can hurt them. I still have to crate my bigger dog (of "Better run, Squirrel!" fame) when I'm out. He got sideswiped by a car right after I adopted him and got his noodle rattled a bit, so I cut him some slack. He's a good boy otherwise.
Hand signals...I was able to teach Rocket Dog from puppyhood, using verbal and hand at the same time, eventually migrating to no verbal and only hand signals. She is great with those.
The Squirrel Patrol dog learned most of the hand signals also, even though I got him when he was a year and a few months.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #32

A very noble looking fellow. Congratulations.