Benazir Bhutto assassinated

I think Pavo, above, is on to something. It would make sense that the government is trying to deny her as a martyr.

Is the government trying to deny her martyr status so that she doesn't get the virgins in the afterlife?

Is the government trying to deny her martyr status so that she doesn't get the virgins in the afterlife?

LOL, I don't think that's the case. Good, quick thinking...

I'm not too familiar with her background, but from what I do know is that the people of Pakiston loved her. She was a member of the People's Party in Pakistan - the people loved her, and would rally around her. From my understanding, she didn't seem like the absolute best leader once in power, but she had Obama-like/John Paul II-like charisma among her supporters.

The government did give approval on an exhumation of the body recently, and this has shifted the focus so much from what it was a couple of days ago - it went from an assassination, death of a former leader and prominant figure in the region which created looting and rioting to a, 'hold on a second. we have three stories here now.' Low, but great tactic by the Pakiston government, even if it is fabricated. They've averted attention to an investigation, which might calm some boiling blood.

I'm sure her enemies (she had plenty as much of her family was murdered) don't want her to go down in the books as a martyr.

Allah be praised! (I work in the oil patch and energy is about 10% of my portfolio. Sorry about that. >:D )

Ha! I don't work in the oil patch (or anywhere else), but energy in various forms is 1/3 of my net worth.

However, I do look for some near-term weakness in crude quotes.

Also, I agree with A85 above. Have you ever heard of anyone who died immediately upon bumping her head?

Ha

She was killed Thursday. On TV I saw a crowd "carrying" her casket through the streets Friday and she was buried Friday. When was an autopsy done? Surley there will be much controversy over this senseless death. Thursday she was killed by two gun shot wounds. Then she was killed by shrapnel from the blast. Friday she bumped her head. Conspiracy controversy brewing in Pakistan?

Quote:ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (AP) - Benazir Bhutto died from a skull fracture suffered when her head slammed against her car during a suicide attack—not from bullet wounds, the government said Friday.

[URL="http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8TQJ2GO0&show_article=1[/url]"]http://www.breitbart.com/artic....le=1
[/URL]

LOL, I don't think that's the case. Good, quick thinking...

I'm not too familiar with her background, but from what I do know is that the people of Pakiston loved her. She was a member of the People's Party in Pakistan - the people loved her, and would rally around her. From my understanding, she didn't seem like the absolute best leader once in power, but she had Obama-like/John Paul II-like charisma among her supporters.

The government did give approval on an exhumation of the body recently, and this has shifted the focus so much from what it was a couple of days ago - it went from an assassination, death of a former leader and prominant figure in the region which created looting and rioting to a, 'hold on a second. we have three stories here now.' Low, but great tactic by the Pakiston government, even if it is fabricated. They've averted attention to an investigation, which might calm some boiling blood.

I'm sure her enemies (she had plenty as much of her family was murdered) don't want her to go down in the books as a martyr.

I think it's debatable to state the "people loved her". certainly a segment
of the population did. Other segments did not, both crazy and moderate.

I think it's debatable to state the "people loved her". certainly a segment
of the population did. Other segments did not, both crazy and moderate.

I agree to a large segment she was a corrupt kleptocrat much like her husband and her father who was excecuted largely on corruption accusations. Obviously she is hero to many in Pakistan.

I have no idea where the truth is (probably some combination but who knows). What I am pretty confident is that she really believed in democracy (8 years at Harvard and Oxford studying government would do that I think!). I think her most important contribution was to show that Muslim woman could be elected and rule a Muslim country albeit for a short time.

This morning's news: her son and husband are planning to take her place and run in the elections on January 8.

For MickeyD- her husband denied consent for the autopsy. In the USA, the medical examiner or coroner would have the authority to order an autopsy, even though a family member objected, but in Pakistan, who knows?

She died of a gunshot wound(or two) to the head and for some reason the Pakistani authorities want it recorded otherwise. As someone else pointed out, if she died because of an accident, then she won't go down in their history as a martyr, whereas she would if she had been assassinated.

If I may veer slightly off tangent, but I'm just amazed how countries with supposedly male-dominated, feudal cultures like India, Pakistan, Israel, the Philippines, Argentina, and others have managed to elect women leaders for years now, while we here in the US have yet to do so. If there is one accomplishment that Benazir Bhutto has achieved in her life, it is the fact that she became Prime Minister at all in a Muslim nation. Whatever other faults she may have had, she deserves admiration for her bravery in returning to Pakistan and contesting the election.

If I may veer slightly off tangent, but I'm just amazed how countries with supposedly male-dominated, feudal cultures like India, Pakistan, Israel, the Philippines, Argentina, and others have managed to elect women leaders for years now, while we here in the US have yet to do so. If there is one accomplishment that Benazir Bhutto has achieved in her life, it is the fact that she became Prime Minister at all in a Muslim nation. Whatever other faults she may have had, she deserves admiration for her bravery in returning to Pakistan and contesting the election.

Could part of the reason be that some of the women were succeeding a father or husband? (Like Hillary?) Are there women elected who were not succeeding a father or husband? I can only think of Golda Miere in Israel.

Could someone explain to me why it matters whether she died from gunshot wounds, bomb blast, or hitting her head due to bomb blast or gunshots?

If she died because she was startled by a bomb blast, slipped, and hit her head, then it was an accident not an assassination. Terribly regrettable and all that, but nobody's fault, no need for an investigation, no reason to refer to her as a martyr, and no reason for her supporters to get upset and blame people.

Pity about the video evidence, but whatever.

If she died because she was startled by a bomb blast, slipped, and hit her head, then it was an accident not an assassination. Terribly regrettable and all that, but nobody's fault, no need for an investigation, no reason to refer to her as a martyr, and no reason for her supporters to get upset and blame people.

uh, yeah, an accident caused by a bomb...intended to kill her...

Well, yes, but it didn't kill her, so it doesn't count (like the bomb blast that didn't kill her on the day she returned to Pakistan). At least, I think that's how the "logic" goes - if she slipped, fell, and hit her head because she heard a bomb blast, then her death wouldn't count as murder but as accident, such a shame and all that but these things happen. Like I said - pity about the video evidence showing otherwise, but these little inconveniences can just be handwaved away, I suppose.

Could part of the reason be that some of the women were succeeding a father or husband? (Like Hillary?) Are there women elected who were not succeeding a father or husband? I can only think of Golda Miere in Israel.

Mary Robinson was elected President of Ireland in 1990 and served one term before becoming UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.

Áras an Uachtaráin - Mary Robinson

Mary McAleese is the current President of Ireland, having been first elected in 1997 and reelected in 2004.

Áras an Uachtaráin - Biographies

So......Ireland has had female elected heads of state continuously for over 17 years......the most successful period in the country's recent history.

I guess root cause analysis isn't popular in those circles....

your memory is not serving you well in this case.
off the top of my head there is:

margaret thatcher - england
kim campbell - canada
angela merkel - germany
michele bachalet - chile

there's also this wikipedia link that i found on the subject.

List of elected or appointed female heads of state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

your memory is not serving you well in this case.
off the top of my head there is:

margaret thatcher - england
kim campbell - canada
angela merkel - germany
michele bachalet - chile

there's also this wikipedia link that i found on the subject.

List of elected or appointed female heads of state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kim Campbell was not elected as PM; she was elected to the leadership of the Progressive Conservative Party, which was in power at the time (1993). Five months later the party lost the election in a landslide.

Back
Top Bottom