Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

So, I keep hearing about all these great apps for smartphones - that let you compare prices and do other useful things. What apps do you use a lot? Do you have any to recommend for sheer usefulness?

Thanks,

Amethyst
-Most of the useful apps have already been mentioned multiple times so I'll concentrate on the ones that were not mentioned.
-Along with the Harmony Keyboard, I use Harmony app to control all my devices either from the keyboard or the app. I control everything including ps3, tv, soundbar, roku, cctv, etc. With the app, I have the same access/control anywhere I have internet.
-I use YNAB to maintain my budget. This is the most valuable app I have. It keeps me from over-spending.
-WIFI Analyser helps monitor and troubleshoot the signal strength of your wifi. Found out that 2.4 GHz is stronger in a couple of rooms than 5 GHz.
-911 widget button. Dials emergency in one click. Have shortcut button for DW phone, etc.
-Hangouts and Facetime (iphone) for face-to-face communication with the family.
kneehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2015, 05:34 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks Target! I have a gmail account on my tracfone. I must be missing some setting. I will review the link you provided.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:28 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Who is we?
My spouse and I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I don't use desktop notifications or attempt to integrate apps with my pc.
The main advantage of Outlook for us is the ease by which we can archive, search and retrieve old mail and old appointments, within our control on our own storage devices, even with the Internet is down or inaccessible. We won't switch until we have a very high assurance that we can do the same with Google, just as easily, and again, stored on our own storage devices.

We each have our own priorities - right now, Google doesn't measure up to our criteria.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:55 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, your need to find old appointments and email is not something I prioritize. The Internet has not been down long enough to cause a problem, that I can recall. Use of email has evolved over time, so I have access to Gmail, thunderbird, yahoo and others. If really necessary, email can be archived locally. I don't have that as an absolute requirement, but do have a lot of email offline. Important pdf files for finances are stored and encrypted locally.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:40 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Chrome is installed on phone and tablet- both are android. I was using the supplied browser on tracfone yesterday, opened by accident. What drek that is.

On the phone, an Ultimate something irvother, I set Google news as home page, and investigate the news from there.

Phone is on WiFi, so the cost of reading is very small.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, apps, smartphone