Join Early Retirement Today
Best carpet cleaning machine?
Old 05-31-2016, 02:34 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
Best carpet cleaning machine?

DW wants a carpet cleaner that will do a good job on carpet and rugs.. any suggestions appreciated as to brand, model, etc...

Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2016, 04:19 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
I would use an extraction machine but not sure the best brand. I have used one rented from Home Depot that worked well.

I think it is very important to not use too much cleaner or water. I would not put cleaner through the machine. I would spray a carpet cleaning product on the carpet, Light mist, let it work for a little while, then extract.

If you have spots, spray the spot and scrub toward the center of the spot, in a circular motion toward the center. Pick up the spot with a rag by pressing straight down (no scrubbing) so you do not spread the spot. The spot remover will depend on the type of stain, water or petroleum based. It is likely that the carpet product will work on the spot. So, before purchasing a special spot cleaner, try the carpet cleaning product.

Hope this helps.

davef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:40 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've used the carpet cleaner rental at Lowes, Bissell Big Green, and very happy with the results. I think it sells for around $400 but I just rent it for $25/day, can easily do my house in half a day. Always shocked at how dirty the water in the extraction tank gets even when my carpets don't outwardly look dirty.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:21 PM   #4
We have two machines that we use regularly. We do all the carpets once/yr and the heavy traffic areas twice per year using a Kenmore shampooer like this one:

Ours is 16 yrs old and it still works well but it leaks a bit. There have been several times I though this carpet is shot!, but this unit revived it. We were a household of 5 before 2 of the kids left. Out carpet was new when we moved into the house 16 years ago and we have not replaced any of's off white! We bought the unit after borrowing one from a family member. The shampoo does build up in the carpet so every other year or so we go over the carpet with a Bissel Big Green <extraction> Machine. Sometimes we use cleaner in it but usually just hot water.
...with no reasonable expectation for ER, I'm just here auditing the AP class.Retired 8/1/15.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:24 PM   #5
I use a Rug Doctor. Purchased at Sam's for $399.00. I use it in all my apartments, including the turn I did this evening.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:05 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I would hire one of those guys with a unit powered by their truck engine. It's about the only way the rug is going to get even a bit dry. And best of all, you don't have to store equipment for what usually an infrequent job.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
haha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:13 PM   #7
Rug Doctor.

......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote