Best family story from the Holidays...

Westernskies

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We had most of my siblings and their kids with us over the holidays, and upon reflecting on our experiences I thought it might be fun for everyone to post their favorite (or worse) family holiday moments...

We didn't have any specific drama this year, but I did notice that ALL of my nieces and nephews (under the age of ~25 ) had to be entertained electronically and constantly.. Cell phone, PDA, laptops, movies, video games, IM, Wii, etc.from the minute they woke up until going to bed, and then texting into the wee hours.

Most of the adult siblings (40+) were content to sit and talk, reliving past memories, catching up on the time we have spent apart, telling stories, joking, laughing, crying, and just enjoying each other's company. We played a little Rummikub, dominos, scrabble, but mostly just wrapped up in blankets and sat around the firepit talking until late in the evening. Everyone had a few drinks, no one got plastered, but we all had a lot of fun.

The younger crowd sprawled out like drones all over the house , texting, playing video games, fantasy football, etc... No one actually talked face to face.... just sat there addicted to electrons. Temperatures were in the high 60's, so we heated the pool for a week, but none of the kids really wanted to swim- because they would have to give up their precious devices for a few minutes... Suggested a group hike (rejected because cell coverage was in question) sightseeing (too boring) board games (do you have the electronic version?) Join us outside by the fire ( all you do is talk!) Eventually I just gave up and let them vegetate with their favorite devices.

Enjoyed having family over the holidays, but glad to be back to just the two of us. I feel like a curmudgeon today, and am strangely satisfied by it.:)

The only good holiday story I have is that I tried a new recipe for scalloped potatoes and messed up the proportions so they took forever to cook and I had to keep on adding more cheese by the time they were finished they probably had a day's worth of calories in each piece but everybody loved them .

My sister-in-law tried to host Thanksgiving one year - first time cooking the turkey.

She opened the oven when it was supposed to be done and realized that she never turned the oven on! :ROFLMAO:

Went to my daughter's for Christmas because she had a new 10-day old baby girl. Took my Santa Suit so we could get pics of the newborn with Santa. Other daughter was there with her 3-yr. old granddaughter and 2-year old grandson. Put on my Santa suit and jumped into the room the older grandkids were playing in. Their eyes got big as saucers. Asked them if they'd been good, etc. 3-yr old squinted at me a little bit, then announced to everybody, "Hey, that's not Santa--it's just Granddaddy!" Will probably remember that moment as long as I live.

Back
Top Bottom