Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2018, 09:40 PM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, high fructose corn syrup. Yummy stuff! I'm tending to avoid all "food" that contains it.
I don't know why people fear HFCS. As far as ketchup and calories, 1 TBS of ketchup only has 19 calories, that's not gonna break anyone's calorie bank.

HFCS has the same ratio of fructose/glucose as honey. I don't see anyone fearing honey (other than the total calories).

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...ose-corn-syrup

Quote:
HFCS has the same number of calories per teaspoon as table sugar (4 calories per gram) and is equal in sweetness to table sugar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
Sorry to ruin your day, but most of the stuff that you're eating, probably has worse stuff than HFCS. A lot of it, you cannot pronounce. ...
I wasn't aware that the pronounce-ability of an ingredient was correlated to its health benefits. Got a link for that?

Lead = good; oxygen = bad?

mold = good; Quinoa = bad?

What about water? You need it, but too much and you drown?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2018, 09:50 PM   #202
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
... Still, last Friday I had a delicious burger at home - - thoroughly grilled to my idea of perfection, with no fries, no bun, no cheese, no additions or condiments other than mustard. I don't miss all those extras any more. ...
There is something to be said for the 'minimalist' approach. A bunch of condiments sometimes just blend together and hides the basic, good flavors of a well prepared meat patty.

I don't go that minimalist, but I have trended towards basics - burger, (on a bun) cheese(*), mustard, maybe ketchup, lettuce, and maybe tomato, pickle, onion. But not all of them at the same time.

(*) I know "American cheese' turns people off, but I think it's just right sometimes on a basic burger (or egg sandwich). It's one of those 'basic' flavors that blend well.

I was a bit afraid to admit that, until I saw some high end chefs acknowledge it - the melt, everything is just right for a basic burger.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/07/...an-cheese.html

-ERD50
Old 09-27-2018, 09:57 PM   #203
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I don't know why people fear HFCS. As far as ketchup and calories, 1 TBS of ketchup only has 19 calories, that's not gonna break anyone's calorie bank.

HFCS has the same ratio of fructose/glucose as honey. I don't see anyone fearing honey (other than the total calories).

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...ose-corn-syrup

I wasn't aware that the pronounce-ability of an ingredient was correlated to its health benefits. Got a link for that?

Lead = good; oxygen = bad?

mold = good; Quinoa = bad?

What about water? You need it, but too much and you drown?

-ERD50
I fear no food, other than the mayo from The Phoenix in KCMO.

Try something new, food without ketchup. You might be surprised about how your food tastes without being covered up in a sugary sauce.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:57 PM   #204
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean56 View Post

For those living in Texas, In-N-Out has a bunch of locations between Dallas/Fort Worth area and San Antonio.

In the mail I received a promotion for the new In and Out in Dallas... a free burger and fires. Hamburger was very dry. The FFs were mostly little hard stale pieces. Awful! Yet, there was a long line waiting to be served? Maybe they all had the free promotion coupon.

I used to go to Wendy's until I saw the employee lick her fingers while she made my frosty. YUK!

Now I only go to Whataburger... they make your burger to order [I order extra mustard and tomatoes] and are constantly good at a reasonable price.

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:02 PM   #205
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Whataburger is #1 on my list.

Me too! Whataburger will make your hamburger to order. I like mine with extra mustard and extra tomatoes. So yummy and less expensive than other hamburgers not near as big and delicious.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:09 PM   #206
gone traveling

I know we are not supposed to talk about chicken... but...

I found the best "fast food" fried chicken to be at a local supermarket deli. It's especially handy for a single person because I can buy one piece [large breast = $2] take it home and create my own yummy chicken sandwich.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:06 AM   #207
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Try something new, food without ketchup. You might be surprised about how your food tastes without being covered up in a sugary sauce.

I only put ketchup on a few specific foods - french fries, sometimes a burger, sometimes an "Italian Beef" (that's another Chicago thing). That's all I can even thing of. A bottle of ketchup here probably lasts years. And never on a "Chicago Style" hot dog (if people like ketchup on a hot dog, that's OK - but then it is not a "Chicago Style" dog)!

And I don't "cover them" in sauce. In fact, we tend to avoid sauces on most of our food. Rarely any 'dressing' on salad - herbs and and maybe some olive oil on most meats.

Geez, what's with some people on this forum taking a comment to extremes, and making claims that they can't possibly know (like since I don't wash my car as regularly as they do, my house and car must be disgusting?).

This is getting weird. Are people peeking in my windows, and checking the food I eat?

-ERD50
Old 09-28-2018, 09:22 AM   #208
Give me a forum ...

After my parents moved to Corpus Christi in the 80s, my mom raved about the Whataburger jalapeño cheeseburger. We weren’t familiar with the chain before then.

Apparently Whataburger moved their headquarters from Corpus Christi to San Antonio in 2008 due to hurricane exposure concerns.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:25 AM   #209
Give me a forum ...

Most ketchup to us tastes way, way, way too sweet these days. Have they been increasing the sweetness all this time?
Old 09-28-2018, 09:38 AM   #210
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I only put ketchup on a few specific foods - sometimes an "Italian Beef" (that's another Chicago thing).
That's a sin!

Then again, I go all the way with a Chicago style hotdog and add a little ketchup. Forgive my sin!

BTW, to all those outside of Chicago who try to create a Chicago style hot dog and you neglect to steam a poppy seed bun, please, don't even try. OK? Gotta get that right. And the celery salt. And... Well, ya gotta get it right! Keep the ketchup off and leave it to the sinners to do it themselves.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:40 AM   #211
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ketchup is still one of my vices, especially when I have fries. But one of my kids threw our small bottle away when she’s home. It was outdated, so that means we didn’t eat it enough.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:41 AM   #212
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Ketchup is still one of my vices, especially when I have fries.
+1 just with fries.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:16 AM   #213
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
That's a sin!

Then again, I go all the way with a Chicago style hotdog and add a little ketchup. Forgive my sin!

BTW, to all those outside of Chicago who try to create a Chicago style hot dog and you neglect to steam a poppy seed bun, please, don't even try. OK? Gotta get that right. And the celery salt. And... Well, ya gotta get it right! Keep the ketchup off and leave it to the sinners to do it themselves.
I admit it is weird of me to put ketchup on an Italian Beef, but I like it.

Celery salt is key to the Chicago dog, and some imitators miss that.

-ERD50
Old 09-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #214
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Celery salt is key to the Chicago dog, and some imitators miss that.
YES! This is a very easy way to smoke out the imitators.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:08 AM   #215

Red Robin came to my area about a year ago. A short time later I gave it a try and thought it was better than most fast food burgers. Then a few months later it showed up on the weekly restaurant report for many many health infractions.

I haven't been back. I have to say I haven't been back to any other hamburger joints either.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #216
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
From what I understand, and that is subject to me being smarter tomorrow than I was yesterday, HFCS is much cheaper than other forms of sugar. Because of that food manufacturers are able to use more of it and still meet their financial goals. Thus, more sugar in foods than ever before.

FWIW, the other day I bought a can of 'Organic' tomato sauce to use in a recipe. To my surprise it contained quite a bit of organic sugar. Ugh! My mother used to add a teaspoon or two of sugar to a big pot tomato sauce to counter the acidity. This 14 oz can had 20 g of the stuff, about 4 tsp.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:15 PM   #217

We are so far afield from the actual thread topic now, but I'll just point out that common table sugar (sucrose) is 50% glucose and 50% fructose (one molecule of each).

The dreaded High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) has been in use since the 1960s. It comes in several varieties, and is 24% water. The remainder is glucose and:
  • 42% fructose for most processed foods
  • 55% fructose for most soft drinks
Old 09-28-2018, 02:39 PM   #218
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
We are so far afield from the actual thread topic now, but I'll just point out that common table sugar (sucrose) is 50% glucose and 50% fructose (one molecule of each).

The dreaded High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) has been in use since the 1960s. It comes in several varieties, and is 24% water. The remainder is glucose and:
  • 42% fructose for most processed foods
  • 55% fructose for most soft drinks

You failed to disclose the percentage of arsenic and cyanide.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:16 PM   #219

I forgot to mention Carl's Jr too. It's not my favorite, however I like it much more than BK, McD's. What I like about Carl's Jr. is that it is the shortest driving distance from my house and I like their burger and fries. When the closest fast food is nine miles one way with the exception of one only 5 miles one way, then sometimes I give the one closer to me preference.

Some day I hope to be able to try Whataburger , Shake Shack, and Five Guys.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:57 PM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
Some day I hope to be able to try Whataburger , Shake Shack, and Five Guys.

I've tried all of them Mentioned here that are Chains..... For myself no Chain Burger beats a Smashburger -- They don't use frozen meat..... Try a "Classic Smash'
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote