Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-24-2018, 01:49 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Wow, really cheap burgers. I thought you only do Wagyu burgers.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2018, 02:01 PM   #122
Give me a forum ...

I am surprised no one has mentioned Cook Out fast food restaurants located in the southeast. They have all kinds of burgers and other sandwiches. My favorite Cook Out burger is the Carolina Burger--chili, slaw, mustard and onions. Yummy good, makes me hungry just thinking about it. Cook Out also has great milkshakes--40 flavors. My favorite milkshakes are the M&M milkshake and the Oreo milkshake. Except for the fact that the closest one to me is about 15 miles away I would go there right now.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:21 PM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When visiting New Jersey circa 1970 we'd sometimes stop at a grill place with great burgers. The interior decor was meant to resemble a campsite with stone walls, bench seating. Fireside? Fire something I think. They had several restaurants in that area I believe.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:54 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Locally for us it is Five Guys or Red Robin. Red Robin might be a "step" above a fast food joint, but I love their burgers.

When I had to travel to Beijing I loved the Fatburger near the diplomat area, it was a great when one wanted a break from the local food. I have also eaten at Fatburger in Las Vegas and enjoyed their burgers there. They are not on the East Coast.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:23 PM   #125
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I lived at 5 Mile & Middlebelt (Livonia) a ways back and remember this place! Glad to see they are still there.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:43 PM   #126

Whataburger! I have had most of the others, and there is no comparison. I tried In and OUt and can't figure out why it is so popular.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:16 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Whataburger! I have had most of the others, and there is no comparison. I tried In and OUt and can't figure out why it is so popular.
I like In-N-Out's hamburgers. I like their fries as well. It's just a matter of taste . But the closest In- N-Out to me now is 150 miles north or south. There is no right or wrong . Some like McDonalds or Burger King. I never have. The closest place to me that I prefer is Wendy's.

I think the price is reasonable for what In-N-Out offers. The menu is very simple.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:30 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

I’m going to Five Guys tomorrow, it’s been a while...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:46 PM   #129
Full time employment: Posting here.

I like Smashburger for the hamburger and Five Guys for the cajun fries. I need to combine them, maybe a five smash guys burger and fries.

Need to try Steak N Shake, Shake Shak, Rally's, mooyah and whataburger. Sounds like I am missing out.

When In and Out came to my area the hub bub was crazy, when I finally went and gave it a try, I found their burgers similar to a McDonalds hamburger?? And their fries under cooked.....not worth all the hub bub.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:17 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

It depends on the people cooking your food. We have 2 Red Robin’s. One is great and one is horrible.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:05 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
It depends on the people cooking your food. We have 2 Red Robin’s. One is great and one is horrible.

Even at the same restaurant. I've had both great burgers and super bland burgers there. Never know quite what you are going to get.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:28 PM   #132
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
If any of you burger aficionados ever see a Wahlburgers I highly recommend them.

https://wahlburgersrestaurant.com
Hmm, I've been wanting to try them just because of curiosity from the show. Looks like they've opened up in Vegas so may have to give it a try next month.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:51 AM   #133

I've had great hamburgers at restaurants in the past, as in decades ago, (Shoney's was one of the good ones) but since then I have given up. Everywhere I get a hamburger and fries nowadays (non fast food chain) , they want at least $10 (ripoff) and the burger is always well done, but luke warm, no matter how rare you order it. Maybe I'm just going to the wrong places. On the other hand, there are some awesome sub sandwich places near me !!
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:55 AM   #134

Has anyone mentioned White Castle? They were in northeast NJ at one time. People were obsessed with their small burgers, bought by the bagful. I had a few of them, never noticed what was so terrific about them, though.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:03 AM   #135

White Castle, the original sliders.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:08 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

White Castle burgers are a different creature than all the rest. Steam table minis that are an acquired taste. I think you pick it up in high school or you never get there. If, like me, you do like them for some reason then the frozen version are excellent. Especially the cheese burgers. Throw them in the microwave, close your eyes, and they could have come right off the commercial steam table.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:22 AM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
In-N-Out by far.

I agree with Robbie.

For those living in Texas, In-N-Out has a bunch of locations between Dallas/Fort Worth area and San Antonio.
Dean56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:46 AM   #138
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean56 View Post
For those living in Texas, In-N-Out has a bunch of locations between Dallas/Fort Worth area and San Antonio.
It was interesting to watch the activity surrounding the opening of the first In-N-Out in San Antonio a couple of years ago. It is on our route into town and traffic around the place was a nightmare for the first two or three weeks. Then all the excitement abated and there are now fewer cars in their lot and drive through than I see at the Whataburger a few blocks away.

I think In-N-Out makes good burgers-n-fries but Whataburger's are better. And I'm not alone in my opinion...

Quote:
...summer before last, Texas Monthly administered a carefully controlled blind taste test in which Whataburger faced off against four worthy competitors, including recent California transplant In-N-Out Burger. Spoiler alert: Whataburger won. And it wasn’t even close. From the eleven impartial judges, Whataburger earned 46 out of a possible 55 points and five first-place votes. In-N-Out came in next to last with nineteen out fifty-five points and five last place votes.
https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/fa...s-whataburger/
Old 09-25-2018, 08:04 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

BTW, I know most people mention fries as their option, but DW and I like onion rings better than fries...

Whataburger has some good onion rings... most of the time... as other have mentioned about other places, sometimes they are soggy and I have also had them overcooked a few times...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:34 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Has anyone mentioned White Castle? They were in northeast NJ at one time. People were obsessed with their small burgers, bought by the bagful. I had a few of them, never noticed what was so terrific about them, though.
From post #1 on...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote