Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
And people probably don't think their music "qualifies" either but they sure lived the lifestyle...
- and Shane has the teeth to prove it

Quote:
(and put out the BEST Christmas song of all time)
- and even better, they did it with Kirsty MacColl

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #22

Major Tom - I respect your perspective. Having grown up in SoCal and not had the same experiences as you - I have to disagree with your take.

X was punk. Black Flag was punk. I was also a fan of the Zeros (who came from San Diego/Chula Vista area).

I agree a lot of bands got labeled "punk" that weren't. For example I've seen the early Go-Gos referred to as punk in articles... in no world were they ever edgy enough to be punk.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post

Ahh... the late, great Kirsty. Every time I hear that song I think about her tragic murder/death.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #24

Quote:
After writing that rant last night (which was partially fueled by a couple of hot chocolates spiked with whisky), I realized that I consider The Ramones to be an exception, though I don't consider them punk rock - more like garage rock.

In my defense, consider that I grew up during the original UK punk movement and then moved to California, where some people even had the audacity to call bands like Blink-182 punk.

I woke up this morning seriously thinking about deleting that rather opinionated post of mine, or at the very least, editing it to include a partial apology. It's not that it didn't represent my opinion, it's just that it was probably inappropriate to express it in the company of Green Day

OK guys - you can carry on talking about Green Day now

I enjoyed reading your whiskey-laced hot chocolate rant. I kinda like Green Day, what I've heard, but I hadn't realized they were considered punk.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Major Tom - I respect your perspective. Having grown up in SoCal and not had the same experiences as you - I have to disagree with your take.

X was punk. Black Flag was punk. I was also a fan of the Zeros (who came from San Diego/Chula Vista area).

I agree a lot of bands got labeled "punk" that weren't. For example I've seen the early Go-Gos referred to as punk in articles... in no world were they ever edgy enough to be punk.
My ex-wife grew up in SoCal (in the LA area) and she also disagreed with me.

X and Black Flag - you've got me there. No-one can claim that X or (particularly) Black Flag were not punk and retain any of their credibility. Which reminds me of an X 7" I have here that is signed by John Doe. It's not one of the classic singles I'm afraid - it was something they came out with in the 90's (a single from the album Hey Zeus! IIRC, though I'd have to go into boxes and dig it out in order to find out).

Most of the bands I was into in the late 70's weren't as sonically dense as bands like Black Flag. I'm thinking of bands like The Buzzcocks and X-Ray Spex for example, two favorites of mine. Although not particularly a fan of Black Flag, I'm a big fan of Henry Rollins' spoken word. I didn't see his TV show, but albums like Think Tank, and his live show, were great. I loved his story about continuously trying to outdo Iggy Pop's frenetic energy, every time they were billed together. In Henry's estimation, every time he thought he had given his all, in an attempt to be more animalistic and energetic than Iggy, the Stooges frontman would effortlessly outshine him, and it would drive him crazy! I also love his story about visiting a young fan who was in hospital dying of cancer. Henry has a lot of heart. I met him twice. He was polite and gracious and yet, I couldn't help wondering if inside, he was quietly seething, and I would later find out what he really thought of me when reading one of his stories He was a gent to deal with.

Sorry to take this thread off the main topic of Green Day. I realized this morning that I have Dookie and American Idiot in the collection here. I think that one of these days, I will have to listen to at least one of them (American Idiot probably) from beginning to end and see if I can't challenge my own pre-conceived notions about them.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:47 PM   #26

Regarding Green Day, my favorite is 'Whatsername'
Old 12-18-2014, 11:19 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Really like Longview, captures the "feels like I'm winning when I'm feeling no pain" mix of self-medicated whimsy and melancholy that I used to know.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:44 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

WTF or WTF is "Green day"

Who or what
Old 12-19-2014, 02:48 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post

Who or what
It's not "Green day", it's "Green Day". There is a difference.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #30

I love this forum. I don't know where else I can read about retirement investing and punk rock and all by the same posters.

I remember as I teenager being tortured by music in grocery stores and elsewhere. I pondered whether there would ever come a day when I would hear Rock 'n Roll played in public places.

Life just keeps getting better.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #31

Quote:

Who or what
Look at posts 2 and 6 of this thread for an answer to your question.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Who or what
Let me google that for you

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #33

Quote:

Sorry to drag it back off topic again but by coincidence, this was a headline in one of the national newspapers today.

Why the Fairy Tale of New York is the only Christmas song that matters
Why Fairy Tale of New York is the only Christmas song that matters | National Post

Slainte
Old 12-19-2014, 10:41 PM   #34

And here I was thinking that listening to the Cure was the height of teenage rebellion!
I do like Green Day, though. Thanks for giving me a reminder to put them on my spotify list.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:24 PM   #35

Quote:
Sorry to drag it back off topic again but by coincidence, this was a headline in one of the national newspapers today.

Why the Fairy Tale of New York is the only Christmas song that matters
Why Fairy Tale of New York is the only Christmas song that matters | National Post
Heh! I do wish that these websites would stop dealing in hyperbole. I'm talking about the "this is the only one that matters", or "this is the only one you need to see" kind of verbage.

However - having said that, it is indeed a fantastic Christmas song. I was in my local discount grocery store this afternoon picking up some milk. They were playing constant Christmas tunes, all the same old repeat offenders. It was awful. Christmas music in stores makes me feel as if I'm being conditioned to buy stuff, and I hate that feeling. Having said that, if Fairytale of New York were playing, it would have warmed the cockles of my heart! I hit play on the video in your post Koogie, just to hear it again. I just had a hot chocolate spiked with a generous shot of whisky, and the sound of Kirsty's voice.......it killed me. I really miss her. Such a tragic way for her to die, but what a great mother. She saved her son, and died doing so.

I wouldn't recommend viewing the video if you've never heard this song before. Best to listen to it and allow the theater of the mind to take over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
And here I was thinking that listening to the Cure was the height of teenage rebellion!
Now you're talking about my era! One of the prized records in my collection -