Join Early Retirement Today
Best home 'weather station'
Old 07-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
Best home 'weather station'

Can you recommend a good quality home weather station that will give me wind speed and rainfall along with the normal readings like I get from my current Acurite? I see a wide range of models and prices available but could use some experienced reviews.

Not a weather geek, so I'm not looking for sophisticated stuff...maybe some basic data history that can be saved would be good.

Thx in advance.....

Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a Davis weather station and highly recommend it, it's been running trouble free since I installed it 5 years ago. Certainly not the cheapest but much better than the cheaper LaCrosse it replaced.

zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:40 PM   #3
Not a "best" or even a "recommended", but timely for me... Bought this Sharper Image weather station, still in the box, at our local resale shop for $2 about two weeks ago. : Sharper Image Wireless Internet Weather Station, Model# EC-WS115 : Digital Weather Station : Home & Kitchen

It works great and wirelessly updates every 4 hours. We have two weather stations near us... One about 1/4 mile away, and the other at the airport, about 2 miles from our house. Not sure where the signal comes from... I think AccuWeather.

That Davis model looks pretty nice, but a little bit out of my budget.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
+1 for Davis. Mine has been working great for years. Only issue is debris in rain collector constantly.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:17 PM   #5
I have a Davis weather station as well, love it. I've only had it a couple of years but had a couple of different Acu rite weather stations before the Davis. The Acu rite kept losing some of their functions and after replacing them a couple of times, I switched to the Davis. No problems with it at all.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:19 AM   #6
That Davis station look very interesting, had never thought about getting one of these, but wouldn't mind that showing up under the Christmas tree.
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:31 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
Search for data logging software to go with your weather station. I had one that would track wind speed/direction/ temperature every minute and other sensors, like solar and rain, as they changed and checked every 15 minutes. After years, I could run charts and graphs to see my seasonal changes. A week of temp. changes and I could see cooling and heating trends, etc. It made the weather station a thousand times more useful.

Mine used a RS232 cable between the weather station's base and my desktop PC. I don't have it any more, lost in a house fire. Not even sure what brand it was. I'll try and see if I can recall.

Here is a link to data logging the referred-to weather station. Along with 3rd party software, you could upload to wunderground and have your own on-line weather station.

skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote