Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I do like scary suspense movies where your mind imagines the monster from fleeting glimpses but the horrendous bloody gore is left out.
I've always preferred it when the explicit imagery (whether sex or violence) is only implied in the work and the rest is left to the imagination. Sometimes what you can conjure up in your own mind is more violent or sensual than what you'd see on the screen.

There's something to be said for leaving out the details and encouraging imagination and creativity.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Spielberg! “Jaws!” an amazing combo of genres, starting as a slasher movie, ending (arguably) with the characteristics of a musical, the start of a beautiful friendship, & Spielberg actually threw in a kitchen sink.

“The House of Wax.” Saw it in 3D when I was too young.

Vincent Price, “The House on Haunted Hill,” classic short B movie with all the elements of horror and betrayal, and that voice. Wished I’d seen it in one of these theaters, according to Wiki:

Quote:
The film is best known for a famous promotional gimmick used in the film's original theatrical release called "Emergo": William Castle placed an elaborate pulley system in some theaters showing the film; allowing a plastic skeleton to be flown over the audience at the appropriate time.
Hitchcock “Psycho” I screamed in the theater, years and years after it was made.

“Bambi,” “The Tingler”

Roger Corman’s greatest hits

Others mentioned on this thread that I loved: “Silence of the Lambs” “The Thing,” and the perennial “first bell at market opening,” I often wake up to that one.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have not watched much gory stuff since early adulthood. Silence of The Lamb is an exception from others, however.

I don't want to be cute, but the true horror movies to me are the like of Sophie's Choice, Schindler's List, and The Killing Field. I "have" to watch this type occasionally, but not for entertainment.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Vincent Price, “The House on Haunted Hill,” classic short B movie with all the elements of horror and betrayal, and that voice.
HOW could I have forgotten this one? A true classic. I caught it on AMC a few years back. I still jumped!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:34 AM   #25
Administrator

Scary is relative - when I was a kid and saw the wizard of oz with my sis, she hid under her seat when the wizard appeared. The section with the flying monkeys drove her out in to the lobby till the end of the movie.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Scary is relative
True. Some people are afraid of clowns, which I personally can't relate to. I think in some cases it might be related to early childhood experiences that I never had.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 07-10-2009, 09:42 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Scary is relative ....
So true, you outta meet my cousin _________.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am not a fan of horror movies!
One problem is that there are now two kinds of horror movies. The scary movies and the slasher/gory movies. I like the first but don't care for the second.

Two of the first type that I liked were:

Sixth Sense
The Others

The other night we watched The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Afterwards, I set the upstairs clock to 3:00 and pulled out the battery (you have to have seen the movie to get this). DW did not appreciate the joke.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
True. Some people are afraid of clowns, which I personally can't relate to. I think in some cases it might be related to early childhood experiences that I never had.
I think clowns are creepy. Here's an interesting Wiki article on the subject:

Evil clown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pennywise from Steven King's It was one of the worst...
Old 07-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Jaws
Old 07-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

My scariest movie wasn't even scary--it was a western. Back in the mid-fifties (I was 5 or 6), and older sis & I went to the movie a couple blocks from our house. Sis got bored with the flick and left. Must have been a slow day cause I was about the only one there, and back then they started around 11am and ran the movie over & over all day. At the end of the flick, bad guy hides out all night on the tundra wrapped in a buffalo skin waiting to kill the good guy when he comes along, except the bad guy freezes to death. That scared me so much I couldn't move, just sat there with my legs tucked under me, and ended up watching it a couple more times. Each time was even more scary. Dinner finally rolls around and Mom asks where I am, and sister says "I don't know, I left him at the theatre." Anyway, she had to come back and yank me out of there with a big scolding. Had dreams about that movie for a few years.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Scary is relative - when I was a kid and saw the wizard of oz with my sis, she hid under her seat when the wizard appeared. The section with the flying monkeys drove her out in to the lobby till the end of the movie.
Things are so different when we are kids. I saw Snow White at age four, and screamed and cried unconsolably when the witch went over the cliff. Nobody loved her or cared about her and she was killed violently and without remorse - - how sad can you get?

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

carrie
omen
christine (cadillac black)

there is a movie where a man driving on the interstate was being followed by a 18 wheeler. I forgot the title of that creepy movie.

rocky horror show.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
there is a movie where a man driving on the interstate was being followed by a 18 wheeler. I forgot the title of that creepy movie.
I think you're talking about "Duel," and the man being chased by the big rig was played by Dennis Weaver.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Things are so different when we are kids. I saw Snow White at age four, and screamed and cried unconsolably when the witch went over the cliff. Nobody loved her or cared about her and she was killed violently and without remorse - - how sad can you get?
Totally agree--a tv presentation of Rumpelstiltskin broke my heart at age 6 when poor old Rumpelstiltskin was outcast at the end. I couldn't see him as a monster but as a lonely ugly person that no one loved.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Couple more I thought of for my list:

Rosemary's Baby - This really creeped me out. Being sold to the devil by your DH has to be one of the worst things ever!

The Evil Dead - Very gory, but somehow Sam Raimi can get away with it because it's so odd and campy. I first saw this in a nightclub in DC while waiting for the act to show up. It was projected on the big screens and piped through the sound system. This was a wierd little place called the 9:30 club that featured very edgy music so it just fit the atmosphere and the crowd loved it! I've long since forgotten the band we went to see, but did remember this movie. Raimi went on to direct more mainstream movies like the Spiderman series, but you can still see his unique perspective in everything he does.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

The exorcist
Old 07-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
The exorcist
This one is the worst for me. I think the devils face is in that movie. I am embarassed to say that I can't watch this movie by myslef.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Totally agree--a tv presentation of Rumpelstiltskin broke my heart at age 6 when poor old Rumpelstiltskin was outcast at the end. I couldn't see him as a monster but as a lonely ugly person that no one loved.
I think that's what Mary Shelly did with Frankenstein, I could only feel pity for him.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Solyent Green. Or was that Sci-fi?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is online now   Reply With Quote