Best Horror Movies

I am not a fan of horror movies!

One problem is that there are now two kinds of horror movies. The scary movies and the slasher/gory movies. I like the first but don't care for the second.

Two of the first type that I liked were:

Sixth Sense
The Others

The other night we watched The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Afterwards, I set the upstairs clock to 3:00 and pulled out the battery (you have to have seen the movie to get this). DW did not appreciate the joke.

True. Some people are afraid of clowns, which I personally can't relate to. I think in some cases it might be related to early childhood experiences that I never had.

I think clowns are creepy. Here's an interesting Wiki article on the subject:

Evil clown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pennywise from Steven King's It was one of the worst...

My scariest movie wasn't even scary--it was a western. Back in the mid-fifties (I was 5 or 6), and older sis & I went to the movie a couple blocks from our house. Sis got bored with the flick and left. Must have been a slow day cause I was about the only one there, and back then they started around 11am and ran the movie over & over all day. At the end of the flick, bad guy hides out all night on the tundra wrapped in a buffalo skin waiting to kill the good guy when he comes along, except the bad guy freezes to death. That scared me so much I couldn't move, just sat there with my legs tucked under me, and ended up watching it a couple more times. Each time was even more scary. Dinner finally rolls around and Mom asks where I am, and sister says "I don't know, I left him at the theatre." Anyway, she had to come back and yank me out of there with a big scolding. Had dreams about that movie for a few years.

Scary is relative - when I was a kid and saw the wizard of oz with my sis, she hid under her seat when the wizard appeared. The section with the flying monkeys drove her out in to the lobby till the end of the movie.

Things are so different when we are kids. I saw Snow White at age four, and screamed and cried unconsolably when the witch went over the cliff. Nobody loved her or cared about her and she was killed violently and without remorse - - how sad can you get? :dead: :LOL:

carrie
omen
christine (cadillac black)

there is a movie where a man driving on the interstate was being followed by a 18 wheeler. I forgot the title of that creepy movie.

rocky horror show.

Things are so different when we are kids. I saw Snow White at age four, and screamed and cried unconsolably when the witch went over the cliff. Nobody loved her or cared about her and she was killed violently and without remorse - - how sad can you get? :dead: :LOL:

Totally agree--a tv presentation of Rumpelstiltskin broke my heart at age 6 when poor old Rumpelstiltskin was outcast at the end. I couldn't see him as a monster but as a lonely ugly person that no one loved.

Couple more I thought of for my list:

Rosemary's Baby - This really creeped me out. Being sold to the devil by your DH has to be one of the worst things ever!

The Evil Dead - Very gory, but somehow Sam Raimi can get away with it because it's so odd and campy. I first saw this in a nightclub in DC while waiting for the act to show up. It was projected on the big screens and piped through the sound system. This was a wierd little place called the 9:30 club that featured very edgy music so it just fit the atmosphere and the crowd loved it! I've long since forgotten the band we went to see, but did remember this movie. Raimi went on to direct more mainstream movies like the Spiderman series, but you can still see his unique perspective in everything he does.

Totally agree--a tv presentation of Rumpelstiltskin broke my heart at age 6 when poor old Rumpelstiltskin was outcast at the end. I couldn't see him as a monster but as a lonely ugly person that no one loved.
I think that's what Mary Shelly did with Frankenstein, I could only feel pity for him.

It's almost October and time for some good, scary movies. I'm looking forward to Let Me In, a remake of the excellent 2008 Swedish film Let the Right One In.

If you haven't seen the orginial, you can watch it on you tube here:

Not for the squeamish, but excellent. It won all kinds of awards. So far, the reviews of the remake are very good.

Freddy Krueger's movies (e.g "A Nightmare on Elm Street") are pretty scary. The Exorcist is one of the top ten for me.

I love a good scary movie. The best ones make me forget about all my troubles and worries for a while. Here are a few of my favs. What scary movies do you like the best?

Chong: "What are you watching?"

Cheech: "Oh, some kind of horror movie."

Chong: "Wow, is that Jane Fonda?"

Cheech: "No, not that kind of horror movie..."

I thought "The Devil's Advocate" with Al Pacino and Keanu Reeves was scarey. A good watch.

Side note........I think I've worked with a couple of health care administrators who have sold their souls to the devil.

Stephen King's movies were always a disappointment to me - never as good as the movie in my mind when I read the book.

I think "The Thing" (original 1951 version) was one of the scariest movies I saw as a kid. As an adult, the original "Alien" was pretty good.

I liked the new revision of "The thing" also, a good combination of
suspense and horror..

I thought "The Devil's Advocate" with Al Pacino and Keanu Reeves was scarey. A good watch.

Side note........I think I've worked with a couple of health care administrators who have sold their souls to the devil.

Welcome to the forum Silver! I see you are an RN. Moemg will be along in a moment to double check your credentials.....:LOL:

Scariest nurse ever....

Attachments

• nurse_ratched.gif
    nurse_ratched.gif
    53.4 KB · Views: 55
I don't like slasher movies much either.

Jaws is probably the scariest movie I've ever seen. Psycho and The Birds were really scary too.

For a really good time vampire movie that is scary and campy at the same time I recommend Fright Night. For the werewolf crowd there's An American Werewolf in London in the same genre.

I am an aficionado of vampire movies. I liked John Carpenter's Vampires a lot. Obviously all the old Draculas, sons, brides, and other family members. Martin was good, Near Dark was very good, The Last Man on Earth was great. Nosferatu was probably the best.
Sadly, the Buffy movie wasn't in the least bit scary, although it was highly entertaining.

"The Stepford Wives" was pretty scary.

The most scary I still think is an episode of Alfred Hitchcock that "Psycho" was based on. (They used the same house as Norman Bate's motel). That episode was about this nurse named Stella...of course in those Hitchcock episodes, a surprise ending.

Back
Top Bottom