Best Horror Movies

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I love a good scary movie. The best ones make me forget about all my troubles and worries for a while. Here are a few of my favs. What scary movies do you like the best?

The Silence of the Lambs
Psyco
Alien
Night of the Living Dead
The Birds
28 Days Later
The Shining
The Exorcist
Jeepers Creepers

The one that comes to mind now is Pet Sematary.

Oh yea, I liked that one too. And it had that cool theme song by the Ramones!

I like your list. Also, John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness" is a classic (FYI, it's not a vampire movie) and it has a great cameo by Alice Cooper. More recently, I really liked "The Descent".

I will never get Hostel out of my head. Not that it was a good movie, just that it was unbelievably gross and gory.

I am not a fan of horror movies!

I will never get Hostel out of my head. Not that it was a good movie, just that it was unbelievably gross and gory.

I am not a fan of horror movies!

I saw the trailer for Hostel and skipped it. While I love scary movies, this just didn't seem like something I'd want to sit through. Based on your comments, I'm glad I didn't see it.

I really prefer scary movies that are not real - like Alien. Slience of the Lambs was the closest thing to a realistic horror movie I thought was good. While it was disturbing, it was well made and featured great performances. Again, I didn't see Hostel, but my impression from the trailer was it was really a shock/snuff kind of movie.

I thought of a few more....

Flatliners
The Lost Boys
Ghost Story
Jacob's Ladder
The Stand

The old scary movies with Frankenstein , Dracula and the creature from the black lagoon. I can remember being so scared I would not even look .

I thought of a few more....

Flatliners
The Lost Boys
Ghost Story
Jacob's Ladder
The Stand

Good ones bbbami. Particularly The Lost Boys. I've always loved vampire movies. Starting with the classic Dracula, Bram Stoker's Dracula, and The Hunger featuring David Bowie, Susan Sarandon and Catherine Deneuve. There's just something sexy about vampire movies!

I also loved The Stand. Steven King gave us some of the best scary stories ever.

Alien
Last House On The Left
Saw
Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein

Friday The 13th
Saturday The 14th
Sunday The 15th

Good ones bbbami. Particularly The Lost Boys. I've always loved vampire movies. Starting with the classic Dracula, Bram Stoker's Dracula, and The Hunger featuring David Bowie, Susan Sarandon and Catherine Deneuve. There's just something sexy about vampire movies!

I also loved The Stand. Steven King gave us some of the best scary stories ever.
Stephen King is the best ever IMO. However some of the Vincent Price movies scared the crapola out of me when I was a kid...especially on the big screen....

The Birds, The Exorcist, and Pinocchio (those donkey boys! that whale!) all scared the crap out of me. And Agent Starling in the dark subbasement at the end of Silence of the Lambs with Precious barking from the pit....

Stephen King's movies were always a disappointment to me - never as good as the movie in my mind when I read the book.

I think "The Thing" (original 1951 version) was one of the scariest movies I saw as a kid. As an adult, the original "Alien" was pretty good.

Stephen King's movies were always a disappointment to me - never as good as the movie in my mind when I read the book.

I think "The Thing" (original 1951 version) was one of the scariest movies I saw as a kid. As an adult, the original "Alien" was pretty good.
Yeah, unfortunately they usually are. It's almost impossible to put all the detail in a movie from his books. However, to me, The Stand and the Green Mile were pretty darn close to the book.

Ahhh yes, The Thing...now that was one scary movie!

Generally I don't like horror movies. Real life is horrifying enough already! :LOL:

Some older ones, that are more artistic and less scary, are enjoyable. Dracula, Phantom of the Opera, and various Wolfman movies come to mind. "Listen to them! the Children of the Night. What music they make." is spoken in one of the best scenes ever filmed IMO.

After thinking about it, the most frightening flick I've ever seen was a low budget 1983 movie called "Testament". I found it to be "keep you up at night" quality because it was so low key, realistic and believable.

From viewer reviews:

I was so deeply effected by this film's portrayal or one family in one small California town getting cut off from the rest of civilization (which we can only assume is in the midst of WWIII) and slowly falling apart while one by one loved ones succumb to nuclear radiation that I couldn't watch it all.
It's been TWENTY YEARS (!) since I've seen this movie in a theatre, and I've never yet forgotten it. If any movie can be said to be life-changing, this is it. TESTAMENT was first shown in theatres, and the film's power became front page headlines for quite some time. People were crying in theatres, and article after article told of how this extremely powerful film affected people. This was not hype; the emotional strength of this movie is genuinely powerful.

I don't like horror movies, especially the chop-em-up type. I saw the original "Last House on the Left" as a teenager and that turned me off to gory horror movies forever. Too graphic! :nonono:
I do like scary suspense movies where your mind imagines the monster from fleeting glimpses but the horrendous bloody gore is left out.
A favorite is Hitchcock's "The Birds".
I liked the old classic Dracula and Frankenstein movies, and anything with Vincent Price. His voice still gives me the chills. :D

The Birds, The Exorcist, and Pinocchio (those donkey boys! that whale!) all scared the crap out of me. And Agent Starling in the dark subbasement at the end of Silence of the Lambs with Precious barking from the pit....

Pinocchio also scared the crap out of me when I was a child .

I do like scary suspense movies where your mind imagines the monster from fleeting glimpses but the horrendous bloody gore is left out.
I've always preferred it when the explicit imagery (whether sex or violence) is only implied in the work and the rest is left to the imagination. Sometimes what you can conjure up in your own mind is more violent or sensual than what you'd see on the screen.

There's something to be said for leaving out the details and encouraging imagination and creativity.

Spielberg! “Jaws!” an amazing combo of genres, starting as a slasher movie, ending (arguably) with the characteristics of a musical, the start of a beautiful friendship, & Spielberg actually threw in a kitchen sink.

“The House of Wax.” Saw it in 3D when I was too young.

Vincent Price, “The House on Haunted Hill,” classic short B movie with all the elements of horror and betrayal, and that voice. Wished I’d seen it in one of these theaters, according to Wiki:

The film is best known for a famous promotional gimmick used in the film's original theatrical release called "Emergo": William Castle placed an elaborate pulley system in some theaters showing the film; allowing a plastic skeleton to be flown over the audience at the appropriate time.

Hitchcock “Psycho” I screamed in the theater, years and years after it was made.

“Bambi,” “The Tingler”

Roger Corman’s greatest hits

Others mentioned on this thread that I loved: “Silence of the Lambs” “The Thing,” and the perennial “first bell at market opening,” I often wake up to that one.

YouTube - Vincent Price - House On Haunted Hill - Trailer

I have not watched much gory stuff since early adulthood. Silence of The Lamb is an exception from others, however.

I don't want to be cute, but the true horror movies to me are the like of Sophie's Choice, Schindler's List, and The Killing Field. I "have" to watch this type occasionally, but not for entertainment.

Scary is relative - when I was a kid and saw the wizard of oz with my sis, she hid under her seat when the wizard appeared. The section with the flying monkeys drove her out in to the lobby till the end of the movie.

Back
Top Bottom