Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-29-2009, 04:52 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Top Dog is the one. I remember one in downtown Berkeley years ago when I was there.

Best in Seattle is Schultzy's on University Avenue in the University District. Actually a nice place, with booths and a full bar. Also a chain called the Frankfurter in a lot of locations around town. They are pretty good, and you can get brats, bockwurst, etc.

For the most part I don't like a hot dog, but upgrade to a decent German or Czech sausage and we are really eating.

And let's not forget Coney(s) at Skyline Chili in Cincy. Or if you like it low down, get a Coney at Covington Chili across the river in KY.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2009, 05:32 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I've gotta go with ERD and Maurice about the Chicago dog. I never even realized my avoidance of ketchup on dogs was a Chicago thing, it just seemed natural to me. I was able to replicate the "Chicago" dog experience to a degree when I moved to DC but I really missed the "beefers" ERD mentioned - they just don't seem to exist anywhere else.

I will say that Ben's half smoke chili dogs are a close second to my home town favorites but you can only get them at one place:

Old 01-29-2009, 06:22 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality_of_Apathy View Post
Are there seriously hot dog restaurants around? ...
I'm not certain that hot dogs are really food, but I like the way they taste. Here's some information about some hot dog joints that are locally famous.

Yocco's was founded in 1922 by Nicola Iacocca, father of Lee Iacocca
YOCCO'S - The Hot Dog King

Hot Dog Johnny's
Lots of Motorcycles here on the warm weekends. Hot dogs and buttermilk (buddameiok?) are featured.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:24 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Best Hot Dog Joint for me is Zack's in Burlington, NC before it moved. Still good, just lost some of the "feel" (maybe grease and filth) when they tore down the place and moved a block down the road to a new building.
F-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:34 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Top Dog is the one. I remember one in downtown Berkeley years ago when I was there.
I used to go to the one on Northside, at Euclid and Hearst (right across the street from campus), though it has been many years since I lived in Berkeley and ate there. Great hotdogs.

Hot dogs - - even Lucky Dogs - - are not worth the calories when living in New Orleans, IMO. The (other) food here is too good.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:40 AM   #26

I go to the Southside one on Durant whenever I'm in Berkeley.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

One more vote for The Varsity in Atlanta. I'm not a big hog dog lover, but I can't resist theirs. We travel through Atlanta on most trips South, and we almost always stop and eat there going and coming. Once, when we hadn't been there for a while, we drove to Atlanta and ate at The Varsity for my birthday!
Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I used to go to the one on Northside, at Euclid and Hearst (right across the street from campus), though it has been many years since I lived in Berkeley and ate there. Great hotdogs.

Hot dogs - - even Lucky Dogs - - are not worth the calories when living in New Orleans, IMO. The (other) food here is too good.
Well Berkeley has other great food like Chez Panise one of the top restaurants in the world but for $3 bucks Top Dog is right up there for value. Of course, I often order the Louisiana Hot Links, and Cajun everything so maybe I should be living in New Orleans,
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:56 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

My fav as a kid was at the arcade at the beach, along with the smell of wet sand on cold concrete.

This one is next on my list, cuz I kinda like the logo. Big plus, they also sell mini donuts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2183.jpg (466.5 KB, 0 views)
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:52 AM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

Ted's Charcoal Broiled Hot Dogs - Buffalo, NY. Hot Dogs - Ted's Restaurant World Famous Charcoal Broiled Hot Dogs

Simply the best!
pie2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #31

My all-time faves are dogs from the street-cart vendors in NYC. I just shut my eyes and order a half-smoke with the works. Yum.

These days, it's Costco dogs for me and the kids, since they're pretty much the only dog joint in town. (There's a guy who sells from a stand on the beach at the county line, but I'm not driving 35 minutes for a dog).

But... the last page of Sunset magazine this month had a "Sonoran" hot dog feature. Yowzah, it looks good! Maybe I'll try one of those if I can find one.

And as for the duck-fat fries, have to say I've tried them and they're not as good as they sound. My favorite fries are still Belgian frites fried in rendered beef kidney fat, served with a big dollop of mayo on top. OMG.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I have NO hot dog restaurants in these here parts except those little tiny sidewalk vendors or lunchwagon trucks. They boil their dogs and the toppings are limited to mustard, relish, and ketchup in plastic packets. Yawn.
I've been thinking about hot dogs all week, thanks to the pics in this thread. You're killing me!
I've been trying to lose weight, so they have been off my shopping list for months and months and months and months...
HOWEVER...*@!^ the diet for 1 day.
Tonight has been declared Hot Dog Night at the Freebird Home for the Severely Cabin Fevered. Sans wind chill, I just may have to fire up the grill. Chopped onions, shredded cheddar and chili are all set to go.
dh2b has been given the honey-do to pick up dogs and buns on the way home. tough assignment!
Old 01-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #33
Gone but not forgotten

On Friday's it is .50 day at the local dogtrack . .50 admission..50 hotdogs & .50 beer . An amusing way to spend the afternoon plus the hot dogs are good .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
My all-time faves are dogs from the street-cart vendors in NYC. I just shut my eyes and order a half-smoke with the works. Yum.

We need a thread 'Best street meat you've ever had'.

My vote would be for the lamb gyros off the carts in the city.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:44 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Ted's Hots in Buffalo

Hot Dogs - Ted's Restaurant World Famous Charcoal Broiled Hot Dogs

With fries & a large loganberry