Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets

The cheapest phone is Metro Pcs. I spend 70.00 for unlimited text and talk for my son and I both
earthlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I must not understand some aspect of this, otherwise these complex strategies seem a bit over the top. You can buy a T-Mobile unlimited cell plan for $50+ state sales tax for 30 days. Long distance in US is free. The phones from Wal-Mart cost less than $50, and no contract is involved. I used to have an ATT phone that dropped calls very often. With T-Mobile I drop maybe one per month. It is completely hassle free, and unless fiddling wth techology is a pleasure center this seems to be an easy way to handle communication needs.

It seems to me that a cell phone has every utility or more as a wireline phone, and you can put it in your pocket and take it along when you go out.

Ha
Old 03-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
If Sprint coverage is decent where you want to use the phone Ting ( www.ting.com) is an excellent option.
Ting.com is awesome! We have 3 smartphones and one regular phone; I have never paid over $95/month. That includes some heavy text users. Ting recently started selling used phones through glyde.com; you can also bring many Sprint unlocked phones over to their service. No contracts, just plain good customer service.

Also started trying out Talkatone; this app lets you make free calls over 3G or wifi from your smartphone using Google voice.
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've used Consumer Cellular for years. Two phones, modest data usage at $30-$35 per month. Ask if they have any returned/refurbished phones, they cut the price for the phone. Consumer Cellular - No Contract Cell Phones with Affordable Cell Phone Plans
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
I've used Consumer Cellular for years. Two phones, modest data usage at $30-$35 per month. Ask if they have any returned/refurbished phones, they cut the price for the phone. Consumer Cellular - No Contract Cell Phones with Affordable Cell Phone Plans
Thanks, we have considered consumer cellular. Also, they provide a small AARP discount. Out of curiosity, what model phone do you have?

Thanks,

Golfnut
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
If the usage is broken down approximately even per the two phones, PagePlus has $12 a month plans with 250 min/250 texts. I use their prepaid refills - 2000 minutes that last a year for $80 (as low as $76 from CallingMart).

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/
I have used this too for the last 2 months. Page Plus had a special when I signed up and got the 2000 minutes for $77. One thing I like about their deal is you get a reminder of how many $$$ you have remaining every time you place a call.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #27

I was a late arrival getting a cellphone, in Oct 2008, when I got a Verizon flip-phone (i.e., it didn't text or surf). I was not interested in sending texts or using the phone to connect to the Net. I just wanted a mobile phone to make and receive phone calls, nothing more. That remains true to this day. And, after I ERd and did not need to be on call or make j*b-related calls, my # of calls diminished considerably. Today, I suppose I use well under 100 minutes per month. That's just me, YMMV.

About a year ago I decided that my low minute usage did not justify the $55/month I was paying Verizon. So, since then, I researched alternatives. I decided on a Tracfone phone, the LG840 from Amazon, plus bought 600 minutes, with triple minutes for life, 6 months service, along with charging accessories, for some $75.00. No contract involved; just buy more minutes/months. I even got to keep my old Verizon phone number. When my time is about to expire this July, I will consider buying Tracfone's $100/one year/400 minutes (1,200 minutes with my "triple minutes for life" option). That should cost me under $10 per month. Suits my purposes.

This LG840 mobile from Tracfone is a hybrid between my old Verizon flip-phone and a true smartphone. It's what I think they label a "feature phone." (BTW: I got a Samsung tablet to surf the net when I am on the road. So, again, I am not interested in having a phone that can do what the tablet can do.)

So far I am happy with my decision to switch from my old Verizon flip-phone to my new Tracfone feature phone. It is costing me a lot less $ per month. The Tracfone always shows on the front window of the phone itself (and my online Tracfone account too) how many minutes and days I have left remaining--to alert me when I should buy more minutes/months.

The only disadvantage I have uncovered so far is that my new phone does not allow callers to leave me a voice mail if I do not pick up--unlike my former Verizon phone. Instead, I have to go thru my phone options to see if there were any calls that I did not answer, then call back if I choose. I have since learned this is because I did not get a particular Tracfone that provides this feature.
Birdie Num Nums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
The only disadvantage I have uncovered so far is that my new phone does not allow callers to leave me a voice mail if I do not pick up--unlike my former Verizon phone. Instead, I have to go thru my phone options to see if there were any calls that I did not answer, then call back if I choose. I have since learned this is because I did not get a particular Tracfone that provides this feature.
Well, the manual wasn't too helpful so I found online how to set up voice mail for this phone. So all is good after all!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #29

I hardly ever use my cellphone, but I want one handy in case of emergencies. I use a Tracfone with double and carryover minutes. I end up accumulating a lot of unused minutes. I get a year's service (actually a year and three months) for $70 by buying a $20 card then taking the $49 option of adding 365 service days. Suits me pretty well. Works out to about $4.70 a month.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Thanks, we have considered consumer cellular. Also, they provide a small AARP discount. Out of curiosity, what model phone do you have?

Thanks,

Golfnut
Sorry for the delayed response, just noted your question. We're up to four phones now, $55 per month for 300 shared minutes, 500 shared text (before extra taxes).
one is a very basic Nokia 1600 candybar shaped phone
Two are Motorola basic flip phones (with camera, limited internet functionality)
One is a Nokia C3 with full keyboard.

None would be considered a smartphone.

Paid $15 each for the Motorola as we had a phone die (after 5years) and added one for youngest boy.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #31
Gone but not forgotten

New Concept...Just starting out
Buy Phone, join plan $4.99 add as many phones as you like... Pay only for usage... As of now, just a few phone available starting at $199.

ZACT
Go to Zact Site for calculator Roll your own plan ie. 500 min $9.43... 1Gig Data $24.63, 500 Texts $4.43... Rollover ok.
Sprint Network 4G/LTE network.

Zact: Build Your Own Wireless Plan, Down to the Last Detail | TIME.com

In the news today. Google for more details.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #32

Resurrecting this thread to thank those who introduced me to PagePlus. My Verizon contract ran out this month and I switched 4 low use phones to the $80 / 2000 minute (good for one year) plan. For $320 for the YEAR, I have Verizon quality cell phone service for 4 phones ! Amazing.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Yes. It's amazing.

About a year and a half ago I bought an slightly obsolete unlocked smart phone.

I signed on with not the cheapest vendor but one that provided good service at a price about $40 a month under the big providers. As of today, I could literally through my smart phone in the trash can and I would still be well ahead of where I would be under a 2 year contract.

Of course, I am keeping my smart phone and pocketing the $40+ dollars a month.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
New Concept...Just starting out
Buy Phone, join plan $4.99 add as many phones as you like... Pay only for usage... As of now, just a few phone available starting at $199.

ZACT
Go to Zact Site for calculator Roll your own plan ie. 500 min $9.43... 1Gig Data $24.63, 500 Texts $4.43... Rollover ok.
Sprint Network 4G/LTE network.

Zact: Build Your Own Wireless Plan, Down to the Last Detail | TIME.com

In the news today. Google for more details.
With the recent demise of Zact, I am reminded why I really dislike putting out several hundred dollars up front for a carrier's proprietary phone.

If they won't activate a generic unlocked phone, I tend to pass.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Thanks to everybody for the responses. If there are add'l responses, I'm all ears.

I called T-Mobile iro their pay as go plans. They have a 1000 minute/text (each text is consider 1 minute) for one year. Cost is $100. Got a feeling the 1000 minutes would last me at least 1 year. My wife maybe 3 months.
This is what I use after a tip from one of the ER threads. I don't use cell phone a lot and will likely leave many minutes on the floor when my 1 year expires in 4 months. This amounts to less than $9/month for the "privilege" of having a cell phone around. I was glad to get rid of Verizon although I had to pay a contract cancellation fee.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

AT&T comes in good at our house, Verizon not. We use airvoice wireless' $10/month plan and it has been sufficient for our needs. I have it set up on autopay and they charge $10 a month to my credit card and it adds $10 to the balance on my phone. Voice is 4 cents a minute, texts are 2 cents each and data is 6 cents per mb. Unless we are traveling, we never come close to using our $10 and any remaining balance carries over. I probably could find a slightly better deal but am quite happy to have good cell phone service for $120/year per phone.

You have to bring you own phone but good AT*T phones can be found for $20 on up. DW has a nice little Android smartphone we got at Walmart for $50. I wanted something nicer and found a Samsung Galaxy S2 on amazon for $200.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
This is what I use after a tip from one of the ER threads. I don't use cell phone a lot and will likely leave many minutes on the floor when my 1 year expires in 4 months. This amounts to less than $9/month for the "privilege" of having a cell phone around. I was glad to get rid of Verizon although I had to pay a contract cancellation fee.
+1.

Not many years ago we were paying $400/mo for my family's cell phones. Now the kids are on their own, I have a Lycamobile 2 cents per minute pay-as-you go plan. I use our voip phone at home (we're in the country, so cell phone reception is poor here), so I only use my cellphone when I'm away from home. For the past year it's cost me less than $1/mo. My wife uses PagePlus for $30/mo. I'm much happier now.
tfudtuckerpucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #38

I'm still happy with my $100/year TracFone plan, renewed in July, with triple minutes--so some 1,800 minutes plus (with other incentives). With last year's balance carry-over, I still have some 2,500 minutes. I, too, don't use my cell phone much. Definitely not for web browsing. (But it also serves me as a watch, calculator, insignificant e-calendar and what-not.)
Old 09-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #39

Using ptel on their prepaid pay go plan. It's 5c/min for voice, 2c/text, and 10c/MB for data. You need to spend at least $5/month to keep your plan alive but unused money rolls over.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:41 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a TracFone person too. I bought a smart phone and always get triple minutes, text and data. I spend about 250.00 per year for two phones. Can't beat it.
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote