Join Early Retirement Today

Best Introduction to a New Field
Old 04-09-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Best Introduction to a New Field

XCPost from fool.com

This is about "What single book is the best introduction to your
field/specialization". A lot of good books have been mentioned in the link below:

What single book is the best introduction to your field (or specialization within your field) for laypeople? | Ask Metafilter

Looking at the recent posts about folks changing fields and also based on the fact that a lot of folks here work in fields other than investing, I thought a similar discussion here would be great.

My contribution:
1. Art of electronics
The Art of Electronics
2. Computer Architecture : A Quantitative Approach
Amazon.com: Computer Architecture, Fourth Edition: A Quantitative Approach: John L. Hennessy,David A. Patterson: Books

Whenever possible please provide the Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more or other link to the books. Hope to see some good posts, on a lot of interesting fields (which includes accounting, taxes etc btw :-)) If your highly specialized, please do talk about the book you use the most for reference

-h
p.s: Charlie Munger talks about how learning concepts from different fields is the best way to think through real life.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Marketing Management: Analysis, Planning, Implementation, and Control BUS HF5415.13.K64 1998, by Phillip Kotler.

It's a graduate-level textbook, but very readable, and it and covers everything in the world you ever wanted to know about marketing management.

What's more, because strategic marketing management touches so many other business disciplines (budgeting, accounting, strategic planning, sales, product development, project management, competitive and consumer analysis, etc. etc., it's not a bad start if you want to learn about business in general. Does a good job of setting the stage for further study.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote