Best lawn mower and power washer for cheap

bank5

Recycles dryer sheets
I need to buy a new lawn mower and power washer. I'd like to spend under $300 for both. Anyone have any recommendations?

Try a mower repair shop and rent the power washer.

Last edited:
Ditto Connie, cheap powerwasher is a waste and one with some power can cost money.
We just bought a new (used) mower from a mower repair shop one year old for less than half of retail.

Look for estate sales or multi-family garage sales.
People will let these things go for nothing if they are cluttering up the garage, i.e. were bought on impulse or for one specific project years ago and not being used.

If you buy one used that's been sitting for years and was not properly stored (i.e., fuel drained at the least) be prepared to spend an additional $40-80 for a new carburetor or to have the old one rebuilt.

Not against buying used stuff but nothing wrong with buying new, good quality and taking care of it. I have a little Honda self propelled mower bought for I think around $225 and I have a little portable power washer I bought new and on sale for around $100. Have had both for three years and both have gotten plenty of use. Change mower plugs, oil, sharpen blades, annually and store for the winter using some gas stabilzer, power washer has had no maintenance yet.

I just picked up a scotts manual push mower for ten bucks at a yard sale. Looks like previous owner used it once. My advice, look at yard/moving sales or go to your local small engine/lawn mower repair shop.

Jim

I second a Scott's manual push reel mower :D, although I paid retail at the time.
Ours has been working quite fine for last 10 years with no other maintenance than sharpening blades every two years (easy 20 minutes job + $3 for valve grinding compound)

Ditto Connie, cheap powerwasher is a waste and one with some power can cost money.
We just bought a new (used) mower from a mower repair shop one year old for less than half of retail.

I agree; our cheap power washer is useless for anything of significance.

Honda makes good small engines, but for under $300 you dont get their top quality product...so take that honda name with a grain of salt. I've had bad luck with consumer grade newer Briggs motors....especially those on Crapsman mowers.

Just find one in your range, with more HP than you think you need, and take care of it. used 1x/week it should last more than 10 years. I heard the Honda Harmony is a great mower, but the only guy i know that has one had issues. Luck of the draw!

I've had decent luck with a Troy Bilt power washer for about $300 from Depot or Lowes (cant remember). It has a consumer grade honda rated for 300 hrs of use. That's right...they are designed to last for about 300 hours of use. Sure, they might go longer, but that aint much. however, to use it around the house only, you should again make it longer than 10 yrs.You must get a gas-powered unit to make it worth your while. Most will come with a tube to suck up detergent automatically, which is cool.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom