Join Early Retirement Today

Best lip balm
Old 08-23-2009, 02:16 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Best lip balm

It seems I get chapped lips almost year round. But they are the worst in the winter.

I'm outside a lot...right now it's everyday and in the sun a lot.

And in the winter forget it it went down to -10* here last winter so I need it for sure.

Also I drink a LOT of water....between 1/2 and 1 gallon per day....so it's not that.

Anyway I have used a bunch of different brands like Burt's Bees and Blistex and Chapstick.

Burt's was the worst for not lasting very long...I had to just keep putting it on again and again. Blistex was a little better at staying on.

Chapstick original is what I'm using right now and it seems to stay on the longest out of the 3 so that is why I'm using it.

I just wanted to see what others favorites are....I know I'm going to be using a lot here in a few months!

Jim
summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2009, 05:20 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

My lips get chapped easily when I am living in a dry climate, such as southern California. Chapstick is a necessity and I have to use it all the time when in a dry climate, but really I don't know of any product that works very well for chapped lips. I used to have a humidifier when living in southern California, but although it helped a little my lips were still chapped and bleeding most of the time.

Not having chapped, bleeding lips is one of the big advantages to living in a notoriously hot, humid climate. I haven't ever had chapped lips since I moved to New Orleans, except when traveling to western states. I don't even own Chapstick any more.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:11 AM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

I have good luck with Carmex. It's cheap and lasts long. Was recommended by my oldest Son, who says that it is the favorite amongst the brass players in a lot of marching bands.
whr19606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:02 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

vaseline
Old 08-23-2009, 08:43 AM   #5

I use Chapstick 100% Naturals. It is less waxy and applies easier than the original stuff. ChapStick®

I buy the 6 pack at Sam's club and Walmart carries it also. Probably most drugstores have it too, though I haven't looked.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
Administrator

I find that the more waxy a lip balm is, the better it stays on. For some reason the softer lip balms seem to build an 'addiction', perpetuating their continued use. I like ChapStick Ultra 30 which has a decent sun screen in it and comes in an orange tube.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Bubba says he uses cow manure for lip balm. It doesn't keep them from getting chapped but it sure cuts down on how many times you lick them...
Old 08-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Avon has one called Care Deeply - it's very similar to Blistex in the greenish tube (my favorite)
virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #9
Administrator

The young wife cannot get through life without copious applications of Bonnie Belle. She has them stashed all over the house -- in the nightstand, each bathroom, the kitchen, table next to the couch, etc. -- and in each of the cars, as well as her purse. It is a major tragedy to run out of lip balm in the Gumby household.

Me? Don't use a thing. Never have a problem.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

My lips dry and crack a lot in the winter. I use a shea butter lip balm by L'Occitane.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #11

Carmex always seems to work best for me...
Old 08-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #12

Chapstick, any kind as long as it has UV when I'm outdoors. I get the costco assorted pack of 10 or so sticks and I'm good for a year or so.

I've found that anything that has menthol or any other heavy smell will tend to dry my lips over time, so I avoid it. Carmex is the worst. I don't like Burt's Bees either. The heavier, waxier, the longer it will stay on and continue holding in moisture; Chapstick seems to provide the quality level I need at the least price, but I will say I really like a cocoa butter stick from some fancy whole foods brand that I got as a gift; it seems to stay on slightly longer than the chapstick without as much waxiness. I think the brand is Earth Naturals or something like that, and I'm sure it costs $5 or $10 a stick which I'd never pay on my own.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now View Post
Chapstick, any kind as long as it has UV when I'm outdoors. I get the costco assorted pack of 10 or so sticks and I'm good for a year or so.
I agree that the ten pack is a good value, but I end up ditching the cherry ones so that makes it less than optimal. Does anyone actually like cherry flavored lip balm??
Old 08-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I agree that the ten pack is a good value, but I end up ditching the cherry ones so that makes it less than optimal. Does anyone actually like cherry flavored lip balm??
Send them to me!
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I do I do
I keep a cherry flavored one in my pocketbook and one in the cars in the colder weather.
A side benefit of cherry - it serves as a red lipstick substitute.
Not many guys want to kiss a lipstick covered mouth and get it on themselves.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #16

Yeah, cherry is not a favorite of mine either. I keep the cherry sticks near my computer and use them when I'm doing things around the house.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #17

Quote:

I do!
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #18
Administrator

Who knew there was such adoration for cherry... Every time I use a cherry flavored one I have a powerful hankering for some fruit cocktail
Old 08-23-2009, 10:59 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

The cherry reminds me of cough syrup. Yuck.

I like the 3 pack of lip balm at Trader Joe's. It's called Trader Johan's lip balm, comes in mint flavor and has spf 15 on it. Works great. Cheap, too.

Can't stand Chapstick, it makes me feel like I have library paste smeared over my lips.

At night, I put 100% shea butter on my lips, or coconut oil. Those both work nicely for nighttime.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:08 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Wow...19 replies to lip balm thus far...

I don't use it, I wear lipstick every once in a while; but I guess that's not an option for the OP.