Best LP Sides Ever!

No list is complete without including Side 1 of Debby Boone's You Light Up My Life. It is not to be missed! Talk about mind altering....

Side 1 of Peter Frampton's 1972 debut solo album Wind of Change--from "Fig Tree Bay'' to "Oh for Another Day." I played it over and over for years. They didn't issue a CD of that record until late in the CD game. The following link contains tracks, of varying fidelity, from that Side 1, but for the first song, "Fig Tree Bay." And "It's a Plain Shame" plus "Oh for Another Day" are live versions, not from the album. And Ringo played on this LP!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2RzmKz_440&list=PL8a8cutYP7fpf9ElQRf5WevGvf6Ye9VIH

Last edited:
XTC's Oranges & Lemons, released in 1989, Side 1.
XTC ~Oranges & Lemons + NONSVCH. [FULL ALBUMS]

Also Google XTC's one-time only alter ego, The Dukes of Stratosphear, and their fantastic "psychedelic" album 25 O'Clock. There were lots of great-listening tracks on that record.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCLvFqg7bTY
watch

Last edited:
Speaking of XTC, Google Martin Newell, then his The Greatest Living Englishman record of 1993, featuring Andy Partridge of XTC. That's another album where you'd be hard-pressed to select which side is better, if your musical tastes compare to mine.

(You lose a lot of sonic flavor/enjoyment when listening to music via the Internet on your computer these days, usually as an MP3 thru.. what speakers are you using? A warm-sounding vinyl record played on a quality 1970s stereo system in those old days was just too delicious to my ears.)

Martin Newell - Goodbye Dreaming Fields - YouTube

Last edited:
Dylan's 1975 Blood on the Tracks, Side 1. (I couldn't find the full LP on YouTube.)

And Crowded House's 1991 Woodface. Woodface is another of those "which side is better?" records/CDs. (As if CDs had any other side than just the one. I realize that by then vinyl LPs were quickly dying off.)

Here are snippets of that juicy-sounding album.

Crowded House - Chocolate Cake (Music Video) - YouTube
Crowded House - Fall At Your Feet (1991) HD - YouTube
Crowded House - Four Seasons in One Day HD - YouTube

Last edited:
Side 1 of Peter Frampton's 1972 debut solo album Wind of Change--from "Fig Tree Bay'' to "Oh for Another Day." I played it over and over for years. They didn't issue a CD of that record until late in the CD game. The following link contains tracks, of varying fidelity, from that Side 1, but for the first song, "Fig Tree Bay." And "It's a Plain Shame" plus "Oh for Another Day" are live versions, not from the album. And Ringo played on this LP!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2RzmKz_440&list=PL8a8cutYP7fpf9ElQRf5WevGvf6Ye9VIH

This and his second solo album were both very good albums. Saw him live a few times in the earlymid-seventies-right before he hit big time with his live album-Frampton Comes Alive.

Of course, his stuff in Humble Pie wasn't bad either.:cool:

If you haven't heard side 4 of Rashaan Roland Kirk's "Case of the Three Sided Dream in Audio Color" you haven't heard anything. :LOL:

Free to Canoe---Great Choice
'Old Times Good Times'---Lead guitar--Jimi Hendrix
Also on the same side--'Go Back Home'---"2nd" lead guitar---Eric Clapton

Elton John, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Side One:
Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
Candle in the Wind
Bennie and the Jets
Opened his set in Erie, PA with these songs. Unbelievable.

Chicago, II, Side Two:
Wake Up Sunshine
Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon:
Make Me Smile
So Much to Say, So Much to Give
Anxiety's Moment
West Virginia Fantasies
Colour My World
To Be Free
Now More Than Ever
Absolutely love Terry Kath.

Last edited:
Free to Canoe---Great Choice 'Old Times Good Times'---Lead guitar--Jimi Hendrix Also on the same side--'Go Back Home'---"2nd" lead guitar---Eric Clapton

Other than a couple of lesser tunes, both sides!

Bit o' trivia: Cherokee, side two, with Booker T on organ, in 7/4 time, later made famous by a Pink Floyd tune called "Money".

Other than a couple of lesser tunes, both sides!

Bit o' trivia: Cherokee, side two, with Booker T on organ, in 7/4 time, later made famous by a Pink Floyd tune called "Money".

You can't find that kind of trivia just anywhere!

Sorry, second choice might be side 1 of Dreamboat Annie by HEART

While I can't say this is the "best LP side" ever, Asleep At The Wheel's "10" is darn good. It's like going to a roadhouse and fun.

Right now I'm listening to Stevie Wonder's 1973 Innervisions album. Great album--both sides! Side A/1 especially.

I remember Paul Simon's acceptance speech at the Grammy Awards some time later for "Album of the Year"--for Still Crazy After All These Years. He thanked Stevie for not releasing an album that year! Stevie was creating so much great music at that time--winning many Grammys and other awards and selling tons of records, especially after he had just turned 21-years-old a bit earlier and started to dictate what sounds he wanted to release on his future records.

Takes me back to my college days some 40 years ago when I played this LP--and all the many records I mentioned in my posts above--all alone in my dorm room--especially during times when others weren't around to get annoyed when I cranked the volume.

I'm now playing this great recording on somewhat the same stereo I had in college, but now with that new very warm & beefy subwoofer I just purchased--as I mentioned in another ER thread here.

Sounds so good!

Stevie%20Wonder%20-%20Innervisions.jpg

Last edited:
Right now I'm listening to Stevie Wonder's 1973 Innervisions album[/URL]. Great album--both sides! Side A/1 especially.

Wow, thanks for posting. I don't own the album so wasn't familiar with just what songs were on it. I was surprised to find I knew (and love) every single one. Not a single one is less than fantastic. What an album! Very nice to listen all the way through in one sitting.

I could write a short paragraph on each song (but I won't). But I've always especially liked the contrast in how the intro to "Don't You Worry 'bout a Thing" goes from those sharp jabbing piano chords and rhythm and vocal interjections to that really smooth 'Everybody's got a thing...'. Just very cool, IMO.

Mr. Wonder is a monster talent!

-ERD50

I was lucky enough to see Mr. Wonder twice in Chicago. The opening act for one was Rufus, who had a terrible sound mix (too loud, we were close to the stage and one side of my face felt paralyzed).

But then they switched and he came on and opened with "Bird Of Beauty". He fixed everything!

Also love Side 1 (and 2) of the Taxi Driver soundtrack. After seeing that movie way back when I was a very young man, mesmerized by the music while watching this great film, I just had to get the soundtrack record.

I learned that the soundtrack was written by the great Bernard Herrman (this was his last film project before he died), whose best-known soundtrack is perhaps for Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho. (I also later learned that a unique feature of his Psycho film soundtrack is that he used only strings, no other instruments.)

By the way, some years earlier, when I was about 14-years-old (today I'm almost 60), my mother brought home the Mantovani in Hollywood record and I immediately fell in love with its majestic sound. I can't find that entire record on YouTube, but here's just a taste (please go find the complete LP):

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom