Best [marketing] in America

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
Remember a month or two ago when we discussed the "Best in America" mailings for doctors, lawyers, etc.? I had commented on how it was a scam, how I had been on it virtually every year for 15 years, and how it was basically a marketing game? Well, sure enough, my annual "honor" was renewed shortly thereafter. Today, I got this email (sanitized out of pure humility):

Pin # 00000

Dear Dr. Rich_in_Tampa,

Best Doctors, Inc. recently sent you a congratulatory letter for being elected by your peers as one of the country's top 5% of physicians. Our exclusive Best Doctors in America(r) 2007-2008 database is the result of a full nomination and electoral process by your peers in your specialty area and medical community. They value your abilities to the degree that they would choose you as the medical expert for their own family and loved ones. For additional information, please see our website www.bestdoctors.com.

Since this is not the first time you have been included in our 15-year-old list, we send this special congratulations for continued inclusion.

Best Doctors offers customized plaques to recognize your elite position. For pictures of the plaques and ordering information, please go to www.bestdoctors.com/plaque and use your pin number at the top of this email. Questions or phone orders may be directed to 800-675-0000 ext. 302.

Enclosed with your recent congratulatory letter was a survey for you to complete or revise, and return it to us at your earliest convenience (return by fax is preferred - fax 866-904-0000). The data you provide on this form will allow us to

* guide patients efficiently, matching your strengths, interests and expertise to their needs
* provide correct information if the Best Doctors list is excerpted in a local publication
* authorize your hospitals and institutions to recognize publicly your status as a Best Doctor

If you have already returned this survey, thank you very much for your interest and your help.

Again, please accept our congratulations for the honor of your Best Doctors in America inclusion. Any questions or comments you have may be directed to 800-675-0000 ext. 315.

Sincerely,
Best Doctors, Inc.
Director of Polling and Research
5230 Woodside Executive Court
Aiken, SC 29803

I am ferklempt (SNL anyone?).

How many docs get these? What do they really want you to buy (probably target stuff to you based on your survey responses).

BTW, we know you are the best, but that is besides the point!

How many docs get these? What do they really want you to buy (probably target stuff to you based on your survey responses).

If memory serves, the honorary plaque is $189. A special laminated certificate, suitable for framing, is $49. Special reprints from the magazine article, $5 a piece, if I recall.

Getting me to complete their [-]marketing[/-] important national resource of great doctors questionnaire using 30 minutes of my time? Priceless.

Ha - Rumph! I still got the best of the best - a downloadable artistically done: Curmudgeon Certificate, in color, with my name on it - from this very forum.

Free - aka the price was right.

Then you banned the guy later.

heh heh heh - for other reasons I hope. :cool: Although I'm not even a Doctor - I'm mildly envious - congrats!

Flattery will get you everywhere. :D
Well, yeah. There's an opthalmologist office I pass on my way home every day. They have an old fashioned movie theater sign with the removable letters and it always says, "Dr. Eyeball voted Best Doctor in America for 2005."

And he has the plaque to prove it, I bet ;).

Back in '68, I was listed in "Who’s Who Among American High School Students"; my parents didn't spring for all the paraphenalia.

So I did a search and find this:
Educational Communications, Inc. has ceased all operations, including discontinuation of its publications for Who’s Who Among American High School Students, Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers, and The National Dean’s List, as well as the Educational Communications Scholarship Foundation.
Welcome to Honoring.com

sic transit gloria mundi

Well, Rich, just based on how you participate and help people with general medical questions on this board, I think you're a top 5% doctor!

But don't ask me for a plaque
azn.gif

Funny thing ,
I saw one of those plaques at my Allergists office just when I was thinking of changing doctors .

Reminds me of the (IIRC) Golden Key National Honor Society... I got an invite to them a couple of times way back when.. they said I was in the book and it would only be $X to get one etc... and I could buy this and that...

SO, one of our assistants asked me the other day if she should pay to get into the.... yes, you guessed it... Golden Key National Honor Society... I just started laughing...

Now, one of the problems with a list like this is who is filling it out. My sister was a delivery nurse for many years... heard many stories that would make your head turn... but one was this 'great doctor' that all the Jewish women went to because he was so 'great'... and many said they wanted to have a natural child birth... he lied to them... my sister said he had not delivered a child naturally for two years!!! But, kept telling the patients he would..

Really good doctors are hard to find. They have so much time pressure now they just don't listen to you. And like me, I only see one once or twice a year and am lucky to see the same one the next time....

So Rich, you actually probably are in the top 5%....

Well, Rich, just based on how you participate and help people with general medical questions on this board, I think you're a top 5% doctor!

But don't ask me for a plaque
azn.gif

I'll second that and since I have free time I'll even make you a plaque at a greatly reduced price of $89.99 .This is a one time offer so act fast .Our operators are ready at 1-800-bestdoc.

They do the same thing for high school students, parents get a letter saying your kid is the top whatever in the nation, a book, plaque, certificate are $200 whatever bucks each etc...imagine how great a parent feels when their kid is "nominated." my parents fell for it, but by the third kid they stopped buying...

Back
Top Bottom