Join Early Retirement Today

Best men's skin care and shaving products
Old 12-14-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Best men's skin care and shaving products

What do you think are the best razors, shaving oil, shaving cream, lotion that doesn't smell, face cleanser, aftershave, etc?
bank5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Old 12-14-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Why Gillette of course because that's what Tiger uses !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This thread brings to mind of a guy I know that wears Cassini by Oleg Cassini. I don't think it comes in an aftershave...I think it may be sold as a spray cologne.

Growl...woof...purr.....
Old 12-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Trac II and soap. My pheromones take care of the rest. So says DW.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:32 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Shave! Shave? I must admit I don't do that as much as when I was w&*king. Sometime I use a electric or shave in the shower. Don't use anything special, Edge and a shick razor.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Gillette turbo II razor. Aveeno shaving gel. Either Drakar Noir or Polo as a cologne...............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

FAQ - ShaveWiki

Quote:
Which razor should I use?

Much of this is personal preference. Many men choose to shave with a disposable or cartridge razor with some sort of canned foam or gel. While easy to use, this method has several negative issues: (1) cartridge razors are expensive, (2) aerosols used to dispense the cream or gel from the can are not good for the environment, and (3) a cartridge razor is made for the “average” male face, leaving little room for superior results. Furthermore, multi-blade razors can be quite irritating to many men due to repeated shaving of the same area by the multiple blades and the possibility of ingrown hairs due to the “lift and cut” operation.

The use of a double edge (DE) razor can alleviate most of these problems. The blades are quite inexpensive, extremely sharp, and when properly used can provide an extremely close shave with little or no irritation. The same can be said of straight razors, though they have a higher learning curve
More than you would ever want to know in their forums:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/

69,189 posts on shaving brushes alone!

But some good info there. I recently switched to a DE razor, seems like cartridges were going up in price.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:15 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I use the cheapo bic single blade razors. And shaving cream. Secret is to put a steaming hot towel or washcloth on your face for 30 seconds before applying shaving cream. No pain, clean shave, cheap. I shave 1-2x a week just so I'll have that "I care, but I don't REALLY care" look mixed with a "I'm too busy to shave every day" look.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:25 AM   #10

Mach 3 with Edge shaving cream.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Fusion electric multi-blade and aerosol at home, Gillette double edge throwaway when traveling. Dry the Fusion each time and force myself to change the blade once/month. The throwaway is very done after 2 weeks. Can't bring myself to use cologne - deodorant soap even gets a wrinkled nose from the gal. I like the smell of the Canadian soap called Pure, but only have a sliver of it left.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:11 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I usually go for speed over precision and leave the battle wounds on my neck to prove it.

I was just looking at some of the reviews on drugstore.com and I might go with Earth Science shaving creme and after shave, Kings of Shave pre-shave oil and Gold Bond Therapy lotion (I'm hoping this doesn't have a fragrance).
Old 12-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'll have to check this out. I doubt I'll create an account but there must be a lot of good information there.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #14

Through HS I used a Schick Stick razor and soap....then after HS I quit shaving for the next 23 years, and kept a face full of fur (I made Santy Claus look like he had a 5 o'clock shadow). Then one day someone made a bet that I would never shave my beard, (knowing full well she had sure thing going...or so she thought). So just to get her goat (and a free prime rib dinner as a prize) I went home that night and fired up an old facemower, and made her lose her bet! (had one of the best prime rib dinners ever...FREE!)

Next day I went out to the local farm store and bought a nice Braun 5614 cordless rechargable razor.....been using it now for over 10 years and love it! However, I think when this razor gives up the ghost, I may go back to being a fur-face!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #15

How do you dry the blades? I've read you can get 30+ days out of a cartridge if dried. Blow dryer? Does oxidation do more damage than cutting hair?

I use the Edge unscented gel. I don't wear any aftershave or cologne. I did use some unscented Nivia aftershave once, but it made my eyes run.

I buy the Naval Exchange version of the Mach III. About 1/2 the price, seems to do a good job. I gave up my electric razer last year. I may go back as I have sensative skin and usually cut my neck up.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
I'll have to check this out. I doubt I'll create an account but there must be a lot of good information there.
I coincidentally just started doing some research on that site. I'm not sure if I'm going to switch to using a DE razor, but I will be switching to using a brush with shave soap instead of shaving cream. I currently use a Mach3 with shave gel. The draw of a nicer, cheaper shave with less waste (no shave gel can to throw away) is appealing.
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
How do you dry the blades? I've read you can get 30+ days out of a cartridge if dried. Blow dryer? Does oxidation do more damage than cutting hair?
Saw Clarke Howard claims 6 months to the blade by drying - says oxidation is the killer, not use. Our resident doc in Tampa claims months of use via drying in some remembered post. I decided on a regular 1 month swap balancing my natural cheap vs. the thought that it was pennies/day to use a fresher blade. At the one month mark the little blue moisturizer stripe is gone... methinks its more a marketing tool than moisturizing, but... I dry with a couple shakes and touching it to the towel, putting it back in the holder blades up. I don't wipe it on the towel, though my touch is against the direction of cut (based on my gal getting really really cranky if her hair cutting scissors get used on paper or fabric or anything but hair). Sure there are better ways to dry...
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #18

Mach 3 and Edge. Aramis aftershave. I have an electric shaver but can only use it if I have not shaved with a blade for a couple days. Sometimes I go a whole week with the electric. Sometimes I will have a few important customer or HQ visitor meetings in the same week and just use the blade. I have more irritation witht he electric than with the blade, but it is faster on mornings that I am headed to the gym. For the electric, I use a Japanese brand of pre-shave that has a lot of alcohol and talcum in it. Better than any preshave I have been able to buy in the states (this is unusual for men's toiletries in Japan, usually the men don't care much about personal care, so the mfr's don't make much good stuff...blades are HORRIBLE, electrics are OK).

R
Old 12-14-2009, 10:13 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Old 12-15-2009, 12:02 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

DH has very sensitive skin and uses jojoba oil, straight, as aftershave. Unscented, natural, and a little lasts a very, very long time.