Join Early Retirement Today

Best non-electric products
Old 12-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Best non-electric products

From an old thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoferp View Post
I'm generally really frugal, but the other day when shopping with someone else I saw a Luminara flameless candle with a remote control. It is made of wax and looks so real. We are really enjoying it. The store owner said they sell out as fast as they get them in and I see Amazon and other internet sights are out of stock. Coolest new thing I have seen in a while.
There is presently a version of these at Costco (six LED candles in three sizes to the set). In addition to remote or manual on and off, they can be set to cycle on for 4 hours or 10 hours in a 24-hour period.

I plan to try the the 10-hour "on" cycle in areas that have no electric outlets for nightlights.

Kindest regards.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
From an old thread...

There is presently a version of these at Costco (six LED candles in three sizes to the set). In addition to remote or manual on and off, they can be set to cycle on for 4 hours or 10 hours in a 24-hour period.

I plan to try the the 10-hour "on" cycle in areas that have no electric outlets for nightlights.

Kindest regards.
Hmmmm..... Title says non-electric - description says LED and remote control. LEDs are powered by .... electricity. I do recall some old TV remote controls which used a squeeze paddle to force air through a small orifice which produced ultrasound for up/down channel chaging. Though doubt this setup uses that non-electric method.

Now that I blathered on, here is my favorite non electric device which I use in the summertime: a Scythe. An hour or two of cutting tall weeds with it, gets rid of tall weeds and gives a thorough workout.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

'S' hooks. Don't go camping without them.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Guess I could be a smart a** and say a book. Always wanted a scythe though. When I lived in a small town in Germany for almost 10 years my neighbor was an old German guy who mowed his lawn this way. He owned about 200 hectares around the house.....but he didn't own a mower.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
Always wanted a scythe though.
DW has an old scythe that was used on her family farm. Not in great condition, but I was thinking about trying to restore it.

When I began looking into scythes, I was astounded to learn that they are sharpened with a hammer, not a sharpening stone. Some interesting YouTube videos of the process.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
DW has an old scythe that was used on her family farm. Not in great condition, but I was thinking about trying to restore it.

When I began looking into scythes, I was astounded to learn that they are sharpened with a hammer, not a sharpening stone. Some interesting YouTube videos of the process.
The initial rough sharpening was on a mini anvil, which had a pointy bottom, to poke into a piece of wood, or the ground. The edge was hammered. Then an oblong sharpening stone used to smooth the edge.

Also the stone was used along the way to freshen the edge, while "mowing" wheat or other tall leggy stuff. As kid on my grandparents farm I was taught the practical application of this fine implement. It does build lean bodies. Good torqued workout for the upper body

By the way, my grandparents always confiscated my shoes upon arrival, walking barefoot on the cut stems of cut wheat was pure joy NOT. Took some serious time to get the soles of feet toughened.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Hmmmm..... Title says non-electric - description says LED and remote control. LEDs are powered by .... electricity.
Yeah, I wondered about that too. Sometimes people come into a thread with the wrong idea, but this is from the OP. Oh well.

I like a good tree saw over a chain saw. One of those large head rakes over a leaf blower. Turn key can openers over the electric kind.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Oh, and I tried a scythe like tool and a weed whip for my section of AT trail maintenance, but 7 hours on my 1.7 mile section convinced me that a gas weed trimmer is the way to go here.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Oh, and I tried a scythe like tool and a weed whip for my section of AT trail maintenance, but 7 hours on my 1.7 mile section convinced me that a gas weed trimmer is the way to go here.
Used a scythe as a 15 y.o. DF wanted to teach me a lesson, better to work with your mind than your back. Good lesson, but being his son it took 11 years going to the 'school of hard knocks!' for me to accept true meaning.

My favorite non electronic thing, 1911.
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
From an old thread...

Kindest regards.
I have the LED candles. I buy ones that use rechargeable batteries that can be charged with a solar charger. I get that you mean products not plugged in to the grid.

One of my other favorites is solar lights. Amazon sells some really cute decorative ones. One of my nephews said they made our backyard look magical at night.

We also have solar camping and Christmas lights. Inside and out we have a variety of Mr. Beams lights that turn on and off as you walk around the yard or house - powered by rechargeable batteries that can be recharged in a solar charger. Even if we are out and don't get home before dark, the dog can turn on the lights on and off when he walks around the house.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Used a scythe as a 15 y.o. DF wanted to teach me a lesson, better to work with your mind than your back. Good lesson, but being his son it took 11 years going to the 'school of hard knocks!' for me to accept true meaning.

My favorite non electronic thing, 1911.
MRG
I'm kinda old school in that departmant, like Mr Walther, PP
Old 12-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Three nominees:
- Twist-ties
- Swing-a-Way handheld can opener
- Leatherman-type tool (I'm a fan of the Gerber models)
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #13
Administrator

Some favorites of mine:

Coleman white gas lantern
Stanley vacuum bottle
Case pocket knife
Zippo lighter
Dovo straight razor
Old 12-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #14

Vintage Le Creuset frying pan with wooden handle.... Had one I'd inherited from a roommate that moved out - but that roommate is my best friend - and a few decades later said she wanted it back. So I bought myself a similar one off of ebay.

Similar to this one
Vintage Le Creuset 26 Skillet Cobalt Blue Wooden Handle Feu Doux Low Heat France | eBay

I love the heft of the cast iron, and the ease of cleaning of the enamel. This pan is used daily and makes cooking more fun.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote