Join Early Retirement Today

Best OTC cold medicine?
Old 01-15-2017, 03:39 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Best OTC cold medicine?

Sorry for the possible gross factor

Initial stages of congestion and lack of energy..
Hasn't moved on to the 'here comes the mucus' stage
Then the change from congestion to constant runny
Hopefully won't get the dreaded drip and 'tickle throat'
And praying it doesn't make it to the chest for the full blown experience..

Right now, just using the neti pot (has always helped greatly), along with an occasional sniff of Afrin when congestion becomes unbearable.

Any OTC stuff that works for you? Not a fan of acetaminophen.. might be allergic (hives last time).
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2017, 03:41 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Research has shown that cough and cold medications don't work. I recommend chicken soup. And I'm a doctor, and not even Jewish!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:48 PM   #3

To dry up the drip could use something with pseudoephedrine in it. Hard to get it by itself anymore as it is a good starting point to make crystal meth but in Canada at least you can get it without a prescription by asking the pharmacist who has it behind the counter. Can get it combined with acetaminophen (not for you) or ibuprofen (likely ok for you if no previous reaction to it - Advil is brand name) as a 'cold and sinus' version. And yes the chicken soup and rest... the steam of a shower would likely help too.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I am in about the same beginning stage of a cold as you are, Tailgate. I don't really know of a good OTC cold medicine.

So, I'm going to take Meadbh's advice, chicken soup. I love chicken soup and even if it does nothing else, it makes me feel like I'm taking care of myself. Plus, I am going to sleep and rest a lot and stay warm. Hope you feel better soon.

P.S. - - I'm not even Jewish either! I'm an agnostic former Presbyterian. Despite that, I just go for the chicken soup when I'm sick.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:25 PM   #5

alka seltzer plus cold medicine!
Old 01-15-2017, 04:32 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Initial stages--cold eze or zicam always work for me to decrease symptoms or even head it off if I pay attention and catch it in time.
While in the midst: Chicken broth or soup, antihistamine and decongestant combo (any brand), along with neti pot and afrin if necessary to help sleep at night.
But I really swear by the cold eze lozenges. YMMV
Old 01-15-2017, 04:32 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I buy the generic Claritin D at Costco, which contains pseudoephedrine and loratine, a decongestant and an antihistamine. The pseudoephedrine really dries up the sinuses, but for an old duffer like me, exacerbate prostate problems to the point where I can hardly pee.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:41 PM   #8

And don't be taking pseudoepedrine if you're prone to irregular or fast heart beat. Anyway, read the product info and warnings.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #9

I use a strategy I call 'artificial fever'. I soak in the bathtub in water as hot as I can stand for about 20-30 minutes. Feels great, and clears the sinuses. Recommended before nap time or bedtime but not after a large meal. Don't fall asleep in the tub!
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:47 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Chicken soup. At least it keeps you warm while the body fixes itself. Seven days if you medicate it or one week if you don't.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:52 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I try to stick with the generic meds that only have one main active ingredient, rather than dose myself with extra stuff I don't need.

Head congestion: Pseudophedrine. These are available behind the counter, you'll have to sign for them.. 12 hour extended release are worth the money for the convenience.
Headache: Ibuprofin
Cough: This is a tough one. What works best for me is Dextromethorophan (sp?), but it is seems to only be available in combo with other stuff (n NyQuil and generic analogues). The dex really leaves my thinking pretty foggy for most of the next day, so I take just one capsule instead of the recommended 2 at bedtime, and it still does the trick. During the day I pretty much live with a cough if possible, saving the dex for nightitme use. Sometimes a cough can be useful if it is "productive" and helping to get gunk out of the lungs.
Acetominaphen: In place of the Ibuprofen if I have a fever along with the headache.
Zinc tablets: I think they work to decrease the length of a cold, and to head them off if taken at the first sign of symptoms. Again, the generic store brands are what I get.

I've had cough and head congestion for a couple of weeks--was getting better but now I am on the downhill again. I'll get more sleep and drink more fluids, that will help. DW went to the doc for the same thing, they took chest X-rays, gave her a steroid shot, provided some prespription cough stuff: she's in exactly the same condition I'm in, but I've invested about $12 in meds.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:31 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I drink orange juice until I turn orange. I use the storebrand of Nyquil capsules so that I can sleep through the night (I started using the capsules of this and the Dayquil stuff when I had to be on an airplane and my big bottles of the liquid versions got sent to TSA heaven). I use Arm and Hammer saline spray, a ton of it, so it drips down the back of my throat.

These tips will help that cold go away in just seven days instead of a full week without them. But at least I think I feel better during that time.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:33 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I always start with Mucinex D. Or, Dollar General's version of the same drug. It works wonders.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Best OTC cold medicine?
Old 01-15-2017, 05:46 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Best OTC cold medicine?

Run of the mill cold medicine like pseudoephedrine and alike makes me sick (I get really grumpy (almost hostile) with skipped heartbeats, or get super dry mouth, or glazed eyes, or get so sleepy) so I don't take them.

The ones below are OK by me.

Nasal congestion - Mucinex (I get no side effects from this. Seems quite benign. It doesn't dry you up like other drugs. Sorry to be graphic but it is God sent for the kind of gagging, violent cough you get when the mucus is trickling down or sticking to the back of your throat.)

Flu or cold with fever - Virgin coconut oil (Be warned that VCO has a thermogenic effect and it will speed up your heart rate a bit especially in high quantities. ) This will definitely help with low energy as well as fever.

Regular cold - Echinacea (Echinacea makes me feel better pretty much right away, but the cold seems to linger longer and I have to keep taking it for a while after the cold symptoms are gone. Makes me forget I have a cold at all though, as long as I take it at least twice a day.)

Scratchy throat - Drink a small amount of hot/warm (cold green tea doesn't work) green tea throughout the day.

Severe cough - codeine with guaifenesin (Wait, codeine is not OTC...)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:57 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Throat...en+cough+drops

Don't pay this amount. Oriental market should have it for $3.50 a pack. Unlike normal cough drops this isn't going to make you feel like you are sucking on Grandma's 5 year old hard candy. Tastes ok, but isn't there to be candy. It came to do a job - makes a rough throat feel goood, helps clear sticky throat phlegm.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Initial stages--cold eze or zicam always work for me to decrease symptoms or even head it off if I pay attention and catch it in time.
While in the midst: Chicken broth or soup, antihistamine and decongestant combo (any brand), along with neti pot and afrin if necessary to help sleep at night.
But I really swear by the cold eze lozenges. YMMV
+1 for cold eze. And the sooner the better. Keep a box in medicine chest for use at first signs...sore throat, etc. Usually knocks it out in 2 days or so, for me.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
+1 for cold eze. And the sooner the better. Keep a box in medicine chest for use at first signs...sore throat, etc. Usually knocks it out in 2 days or so, for me.
Anything with Zinc. It doesn't reduce the effects for me. It does reduce the length. I also use Chicken soup. That also seems to help too.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:46 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Manuka Honey
user5027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
alka seltzer plus cold medicine!
+1
Orange ones for the day.
Green ones for the night.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:12 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Chicken soup. At least it keeps you warm while the body fixes itself. Seven days if you medicate it or one week if you don't.
+1. Plenty of chicken soup and fluids and stay in bed to let the immune system do it's thing.

My belief is that if you take no medication, takes about a week. If you take medication, takes about seven days .