Join Early Retirement Today

best Place to buy 2007 Microsoft Office?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

best Place to buy 2007 Microsoft Office?

Any help would be mucho appreciated............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have Office 2007, one copy of which Microsoft gave to everyone at my former workplace for home use.

However, I'm not working there any more, so (anticipating the day when I no longer have Office 2007) I have started using Open Office. I use it instead, even though I also have Office 2007 on this computer. It's really quite good and almost identical to MS Office, though its user interface is more like Office 2003 than Office 2007. Amazingly, it's free.

Sorry that I don't know a great source for Office 2007 and I hope someone has one for you. But, just wanted to mention that Open Office might be a good alternative.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Any help would be mucho appreciated............
MS Office Home and Student Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 - PC - CD-ROM - English

Edit - doesn't include the database product.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I use it instead, even though I also have Office 2007 on this computer. It's really quite good and almost identical to MS Office, though its user interface is more like Office 2003 than Office 2007. Amazingly, it's free.
Among OpenOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, and all the other open-source products... there's just no goin' back to Office.

I should have updated my Outlook "Tasks" list and found a better task-tracker program before trashing my old Office2002 programs. But I'll probably switch to Mozilla's "Sunbird".

I'll eventually get around to fixing Quicken's database files or replacing it, too.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Student edition, if you have someone who qualifies.
Or, military edition, if you have someone who qualifies. $70 at my local NEX, everything but Access.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

For those who can use the military exchange catalog service, MS Office Standard edition 2007 is available for $79.95. This is the military appreciation version and seems like a great deal.

2soon2tell
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I am still partial to Microsoft products. I have been happy with this reseller:

Buy Discount Software Online | VioSoftware.com
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Don't use Microsoft Office either as I like the freebies (that is, Open Office).

However, I've had some good deals on software over at ProductQuest.

Microsoft Office 2007 Products
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

If you have access through an educational institution you can get it for $60 which includes the Word, OneNote, Powerpoint, Excel, Outlook, etc, but also the Communicator and Presentation.
inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought mine at Costco - versions available for $80... I paid more for Access (which I haven't used ).

You can get a great deal on Craigslist - probably involve meeting someone in at a local coffee shop for unpackeged, unlabeled CDs.
SVHoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here:

OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
Where, exactly, does it, at this link, explain where to find the "best place to buy 2007 Microsoft Office"? I can't find it.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I don't like Office 2007. The interface makes it hard (or impossible) to do things I could do easily in 2004 (?the previous edition). I have yet to learn of any new feature of any value whatsoever.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
I don't like Office 2007. The interface makes it hard (or impossible) to do things I could do easily in 2004 (?the previous edition). I have yet to learn of any new feature of any value whatsoever.
Excel 2007 was a pain at first, but I used it extensively every day for three years (in conjunction with all my financial, investment, and retirement spreadsheets which I worked on pretty hard during those years). After the first few months I began to like it although there were still times when I had to consult the "help" files. Once you learn where things are, I think it's a little faster and simpler to get things done. I actually miss the interface a little.

Even if someone is familiar with Excel, in my opinion Excel 2007 has a much longer learning curve than previous versions. And, I can't imagine the experience for someone who wasn't quite familiar with Excel to begin with. Sounds like a nightmare for such a person.

I didn't use the rest of MS Office 2007 enough to comment on them.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #15

You do have to retrain yourself when moving from 2003 to 2007. I have 2007 at home, and can't find a thing. Work will soon upgrade to 2007, and I expect to hear a lot of complaints.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I have two "main" computers -- at "bricks & stiks" (Vista) I have 2007 and the "on the road" laptop (Windows 7) has 2003. Now that I am "fully trained" on 2007 I can't find anything on the 2003 machine. I like 2007 much better, although, I do agree, the learning curve was a little bit greater than my comfort level.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #17

Well, one could buy the software or just wait until June . . .

n case you missed it, this story ran in Sunday's Seattle Times on Office 2010. When Microsoft launches its latest business and personal software suite Office 2010 on Wednesday in New York, it will introduce a free version, Office Web Apps, to compete with Google.

Microsoft Pri0 | Office 2010: Microsoft makes a free version of its cash cow | Seattle Times Newspaper

-- Rita
Old 05-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #18

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like PC's are five to seven times faster and memories are five to seven times larger than, say ten or twelve years ago (programs are much larger, also), but basic computer tasks (email, web surfing, composing a Word document, doing the ball scores spreadsheet) are largely unchanged over the same time frame. Network bandwidth has improved and that has taken the pain out of high-bandwidth consuming applications like VoIP and video, but for most of the rest of the stuff we are using many times more resources to do the same things we did a dozen years ago. Good marketing, I guess.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

So I just found out another way to get Microsoft Office 2007. If you have ever had a past version of it and didn't use your 3 installs (or whatever came with the program), you can install it and use one of those. If you HAVE used the 3 installs, you are allowed to uninstall it on one of those computers and then reinstall it on your new computer so that you can have 3 copies at any given time.

So if you have ever had it before or know a friend who hasn't used all the installs, you can get it for free!
inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:16 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive View Post
So I just found out another way to get Microsoft Office 2007. If you have ever had a past version of it and didn't use your 3 installs (or whatever came with the program), you can install it and use one of those. If you HAVE used the 3 installs, you are allowed to uninstall it on one of those computers and then reinstall it on your new computer so that you can have 3 copies at any given time.

So if you have ever had it before or know a friend who hasn't used all the installs, you can get it for free!
Are you saying that you can have a single copy (license) of MS Office 2007 installed (and running) on three different computers at the same time? That would be very nice personally. Where did you find this information?