Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am certainly impressed. What that house couldn't do for me wouldn't need to be done!

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A cottage in Sonoma, CA with a little yard. Although I haven't followed the RE market that closely in recent years, it seems that this sort of cottage MAY be a bargain. I don't know. They have been selling quickly in the $175-225K range. What do you all think?
18032 Mulberry Ave, Sonoma, CA, 95476 - MLS ID#20906777 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

Old 05-23-2009, 04:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post

This one in western Pennsylvania is $99,000, 4 bedrooms, 1.5 bathrooms:

223 Park Street, Ebensburg, PA, 15931 - MLS ID#0024171 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®
Ah Ebensburg,

The land that time forgot. Nice community. Away from most everything. For ER, this could be a good thing.

Rural western PA is an unrecognized bargin IMHO. PA has no state tax on retirees.

We bought in at $160k. 11 acres, 2300 sqft, 2 miles from Cook Forest. If you like the outdoors, this is paradise (in the summer). I have lived all over. This is the best place for summer and pretty darn good for fall.

Want2retire- if you are looking up this way, I can offer you my input for potential "bargins". There are some things to watch out for such as mine subsidence.

Free to canoe
Old 05-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Ah Ebensburg,

The land that time forgot. Nice community. Away from most everything. For ER, this could be a good thing.

Rural western PA is an unrecognized bargin IMHO. PA has no state tax on retirees.

We bought in at $160k. 11 acres, 2300 sqft, 2 miles from Cook Forest. If you like the outdoors, this is paradise (in the summer). I have lived all over. This is the best place for summer and pretty darn good for fall.

Want2retire- if you are looking up this way, I can offer you my input for potential "bargins". There are some things to watch out for such as mine subsidence.

Free to canoe
Free to canoe, thank you! We are still planning to retire in southwestern Missouri. However, if we decide we don't like Missouri after we move there, and have to start our search again, that part of Pennsylvania is at the very top of our list and we will travel there to explore and investigate.

I have never been there, but Frank used to live nearby and likes it. He says the winters are rough but the summers make up for it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:45 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Back in 2005, I was looking for homes in the St Charles, MO area. Although it was at the peak of the RE boom, houses were not moving at all in that area and there were good deals on huge homes - 7000 sqF+, albeit a lot of the area were finished basement, so the price per sqF was very attractive at the time. Not sure how prices have behaved since then.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #26

Real estate bargains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Free to canoe, thank you! We are still planning to retire in southwestern Missouri. However, if we decide we don't like Missouri after we move there, and have to start our search again, that part of Pennsylvania is at the very top of our list and we will travel there to explore and investigate.

I have never been there, but Frank used to live nearby and likes it. He says the winters are rough but the summers make up for it.

The Ebensburg area is very nice. Quiet but with lots of outdoor activities. Close to Johnstown and Altoona and also State College(main campus of Penn State). Ebensburg is Cambria Co. I think. You might also want to check out the following counties: Bedford, Somerset, Indiana, Westmoreland, and Fayette. I think property taxes are high in PA even though the cost of a home can be very reasonable. I know my home likely went down in value since I purchased it(new) in 2004 while my taxes have increased. I pay taxes on a similar value home in South FL and they are much less in comparison. I think winters are worse in the upper half of PA as opposed to the southern part of the state.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
The Ebensburg area is very nice. Quiet but with lots of outdoor activities. Close to Johnstown and Altoona and also State College(main campus of Penn State). Ebensburg is Cambria Co. I think. You might also want to check out the following counties: Bedford, Somerset, Indiana, Westmoreland, and Fayette. I think property taxes are high in PA even though the cost of a home can be very reasonable. I know my home likely went down in value since I purchased it(new) in 2004 while my taxes have increased. I pay taxes on a similar value home in South FL and they are much less in comparison. I think winters are worse in the upper half of PA as opposed to the southern part of the state.
Thanks, WhoDaresWins. I think and hope that we will be happy in Missouri, but if we have second thoughts after moving there, then I will keep this information in mind.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:17 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
A cottage in Sonoma, CA with a little yard. Although I haven't followed the RE market that closely in recent years, it seems that this sort of cottage MAY be a bargain. I don't know. They have been selling quickly in the $175-225K range. What do you all think?
18032 Mulberry Ave, Sonoma, CA, 95476 - MLS ID#20906777 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.comŽ
Ehh. That address is up in Boyes Hot Springs. The neighborhood is a sort of mixed bag of nice homes, combined with 'fixer-uppers' and a few poorly maintained rentals.

Then again, that's probably what my neighborhood will look like in 10-20 years. (15 homes for sale within 1/2 mile. 14 are delinquent, in forclosure, or REOs. )
Old 05-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Ehh. That address is up in Boyes Hot Springs. The neighborhood is a sort of mixed bag of nice homes, combined with 'fixer-uppers' and a few poorly maintained rentals.

Then again, that's probably what my neighborhood will look like in 10-20 years. (15 homes for sale within 1/2 mile. 14 are delinquent, in forclosure, or REOs. )
So, is Boyes Hot Springs not a desireable area? Who lives there? Families? Latinos? Young folks?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

It's an odd area. Older homes, with mostly younger folks just starting out, and a lot of folks scraping by. The Hispanic population there is higher than overall in California, around 40%. Most folks are 'blue collar' workers.

The biggest employer there is Sonoma Mission Inn.

The area real estate types pitch as 'Sonoma' includes Sonoma, as well as the area above it heading toward Glen Ellen. That includes Boyes Hot Springs, Fetters Hot Springs, and Agua Caliente, which were all spots to 'take the waters' up until maybe 60 years ago, and have since run down a bit.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:39 PM   #31

Thanks, M Paquette. Very helpful information!

It has never failed me to ask for information or advise on this forum. I also received helpful replies.