Patsy Cline
John Denver
Grace Slick
Mamas & Papas (arrangements)
Paul Simon (arrangements)
Lovin Spoonfuls (arrangements)
Johnny Matheson
The Platters

Yikes, nobody in THIS century? Just about all of these stopped performing long ago (ie back in the 1900's), and most have been dead for decades!

:ROFLMAO: I hope to sound better when I'm dead, too.

Aaahhhh, yes - that `good old days' mystique. Sort of like people who long for things like the great cars we used to have. But the reality is that today's cars are just better in SO many ways. Maybe not singers, but there still are some good ones today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forget one that I think is great:

Anne Lennox from Eurthymics.....nuff said!! :)

Y'all that are fans of Grace Slick need to check out Grace Potter--she closed down Floydfest with a cover of White Rabbit that they must have heard four states away. She is unbelievable! Here's a video of her performing it in her home state of Vermont.

Pfft. To us old fuddy-duddies, that was just a poor imitation of Grace Slick. :D

I actually did see Grace Slick perform with Jefferson Airplane for free in SF's Golden Gate Park, back in the day - - at least they tell me I saw her... :-X

Last edited:
A few I've had the pleasure of seeing live...

Greatest sound coming out of someone with no movement other than lips, check him for a pulse: Gregg Allman.

Greatest sound coming out of someone seemingly in the constant throes of a grand mal seizure: Joe Cocker

Superb vocals and great physical movement too: Ted Neeley (saw him in Hair in '69, then as the lead Tommy and Jesus Christ Superstar in the early '70s).

Pfft. To us old fuddy-duddies, that was just a poor imitation of Grace Slick. :D

As one who saw Slick live a couple of times back in the day, I was thinking the same thing (sans the fuddy-duddy reference), W2. That's why I admire Maynard James Keenan so. He's not trying to copy any of the old rockers. His style and stage presence are totally unique.

I will admit, however, that with the sound systems and electronics available today, you do wonder how the old guys would have sounded with today's technologies.

I actually did see Grace Slick perform with Jefferson Airplane for free in SF's Golden Gate Park, back in the day - - at least they tell me I saw her... :-X

Ah, the "Human Be-In!" I was there, wandering around the speaker stack at stage left, shooting film as part of my 'young starving photographer' gig.

I also caught their last live show at Winterland. Good times!

Ah, the "Human Be-In!" I was there, wandering around the speaker stack at stage left, shooting film as part of my 'young starving photographer' gig.

We need a photo of the photographer circa 1967ish;)

OMG, that was it!! I was there too, with a couple of friends and we were pretty lit. Didn't go to the show at Winterland, which was just as well because because I didn't have the money. This is what I looked like (a few years later, but close enough)

Attachments

• me.jpg
    me.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
OMG, that was it!! I was there too, with a couple of friends and we were pretty lit. Didn't go to the show at Winterland, which was just as well because because I didn't have the money. This is what I looked like (a few years later, but close enough)

Knew it. W2R was a hippie :)

Yikes, nobody in THIS century? Just about all of these stopped performing long ago (ie back in the 1900's), and most have been dead for decades!

Josh Groban is very popular today. Barbara Streisand is alive and still singing. John Denver would be alive, had he not crashed his plane. Celion Dion is also very good and alive. And the dead ones were still very good.:D

There aren't many current singers that I think are really special and have great voices (though I know there must be a few)

Michael Buble is still alive and kicking, and young. Problem is these days there's not as much emphasis on talent... its marketability which counts.

I like Tom Jones & Elton John myself. I think they stand out as great voices and singers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom