Join Early Retirement Today

Best street grub you've ever had
Old 02-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Best street grub you've ever had

This thread was suggested by Maurice on the Hot Dog thread.

What's the best street food you've ever had? To define, "street food" must have been obtained from a vendor without a fixed address. So, carts of all varieties, trailers, taco trucks, festival booths, etc. all count.

To begin:

I had a goat gyro in York, England that still makes me salivate.

The Carpinteria High School cheerleader's booth at the California Avocado Festival make the best booth guacamole I've eaten.

And I'm a sucker for the Elephant Ears at the Lane County Fair in Lane County, Oregon.

Then, of course, there are NYCs hot dog vendors.

And, to top it all off, Rita's Burritos at the Saturday Market in Eugene, Oregon are fantastic.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fish tacos in Ensenada from street venders. Don't want to knowhow they're made. Taste wonderful.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #3

Corn in a newspaper cone in Mexico. Take corn (canned or frozen will do), put mayo on it, put salt on, squeeze lots of lime (or lemon) on it and mix. Delicious.
The city of Amsterdam started me eating my french fries with mayo 40 years ago, and that was from a street vendor. Yum.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Deviled Crab from street vendors in Ybor City (Tampa). The last time I had a dozen or so of these beauties it was around 1966 and they cost 10 cents each~no extra charge for a splash of hot sauce!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Teri Chicken from a kau kau wagon parked across the street from the Hawaii State Capitol in Honolulu. Eaten on the lawn of the Iolani Palace.

I only was able to find it once, every time we went back either that truck wasn't there or there was no Teri Chicken. Plate lunch there is two scoop rice, macaroni salad, and (in this case) the chicken. Washed down with a Paso-guava.

Will also second the street tacos in Ensenada, but never looked too closely at the contents.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Oversized warm soft pretzels with lots of coarse salt on Saturday trips to NYC when I was a kid...um...I mean chronologically younger in years. I'm still a little kid at heart.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Only a non New Yorker eat from street food vendors in NYC.
It is just that the food isn't stored properly or is old - the carts are stored in garages crawling with rats and roaches. Ya think they sanitize the carts every day before starting a 14hr day?

Food Vendors Caught Picking Noses, Touching Toes - Gothamist: New York City News, Food, Arts & Events
  • One food vendor touching his bare feet with his fingers between his toes before going right back to serving customers.
  • Another vendor near Times Square, who while wearing gloves picked his nose, handled money, scratched himself and touched raw chicken right before preparing food and serving customers.
  • A vendor outside the Museum of Natural History who licked his gloved hand and counted money. Then he left his cart to use a bathroom in the museum and returned to serve customers without washing his hands.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
It is just that the food isn't stored properly or is old - the carts are stored in garages crawling with rats and roaches. Ya think they sanitize the carts every day before starting a 14hr day?

Food Vendors Caught Picking Noses, Touching Toes - Gothamist: New York City News, Food, Arts & Events
  • One food vendor touching his bare feet with his fingers between his toes before going right back to serving customers.
  • Another vendor near Times Square, who while wearing gloves picked his nose, handled money, scratched himself and touched raw chicken right before preparing food and serving customers.
  • A vendor outside the Museum of Natural History who licked his gloved hand and counted money. Then he left his cart to use a bathroom in the museum and returned to serve customers without washing his hands.

You can stick a fork in this thread.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

'THE FLAVOR' answer to those philistines and their Pace Picante Sauce ads.

heh heh heh - New Orleans Lucky Dogs in the French Quarter - after 3am weren't THAT bad. Of course I was younger then and used lots of local aneseptic. Mouth wash that is.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
'THE FLAVOR' answer to those philistines and their Pace Picante Sauce ads.

heh heh heh - New Orleans Lucky Dogs in the French Quarter - after 3am weren't THAT bad. Of course I was younger then and used lots of local aneseptic. Mouth wash that is.
NOW we know why NYC bagels and the hot pastrami have that extra special flavor.
Proud to be a card-carrying Philistine!
Old 02-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #11

Stall to stall stroll thru the Pikes Place Market in Seattle. You can nosh on many nationalities food there. And then some huge farmers market in Rome that private tour buses took us to. It was a riot watching my co-workers buying all these fresh food stuffs and then realizing our rooms had no fridges! After the evenings festivities there were tons of meats and cheeses and breads in the hotel lounge bar for everyone to enjoy again!
Old 02-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Corner of 2nd and C Street. Yum.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #13

I had a bag of fish and chips in FIJI a few years back. Cost 75 cents I still think about how good they were...

Jim
Old 02-03-2009, 05:14 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Not true in the slightest.

And its not at all clear to me that the carts are an less dirty than the restaurants... Either way, its best not to think too much about it.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:38 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Chicago style hot dog from a street vendor in Chi-Town!

Mike
Old 02-03-2009, 06:33 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Is that 2nd and C Street Alice Springs? Tastes like chicken ya know.

Pilot Guides.com: Taste of the Outback: Witchetty Grub
Old 02-03-2009, 09:13 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
Not true in the slightest.

And its not at all clear to me that the carts are an less dirty than the restaurants... Either way, its best not to think too much about it.
You must originally from the midwest; a real New Yorker would have understood New York speak.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #18
Administrator

I'm not from New York, and I wouldn't eat from a street vendor anywhere! Too concerned about food poisoning. Besides, I knew someone back in my college days who made sausages to sell as a street vendor and was appalled at unhygienic food preparation.

I also don't eat from buffets at Chinese restaurants if they are dirt-cheap, for the same reason. Well, I did do that once when it was one of those work party things, and about half of my co-workers and I all got sick from it. I will never go back to that place!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Their motto was "You'll larva our grub!"
Old 02-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Chiles rellenos somewhere from a street cart in mexico city.
Tacos de castana (basket tacos) which were technically from a fixed establishment that consisted of approximately 20 sq ft of floor area with a window opening onto the street. The tacos were brought into the place in a basket and sold for 2 pesos each ($0.20).