Join Early Retirement Today

Best tablet for seniors
Old 09-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Best tablet for seniors

DM needs to ditch her PC and go to a better solution for her...most likely a tablet. She

..is fairly computer literate (she's not afraid of it)
..plays games, mostly crosswords and solitaire
.. browses the web frequently
.. emails

she does not use spreadsheets or word processing software..

Any recommendation on the best tablet for her to consider?

thanks..
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had a Nook HD+ that worked fine at first but bogged down over time and I eventually did a reset and sold it. DW gave me her old IPad2 and it is truly a superior device. If it dies, I'd buy another (used) one .
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:07 PM   #3

DW and I both have the iPad Air 2 and we think it's just about perfect. Lightweight and very capable.

If I were buying one today, it would be the 9.7" iPad Pro, which was just released last March. There is also 12.9" iPad Pro, but the extra half pound of weight is pretty significant in my view.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #4

The Asus transformer series (tablet/notebook with detachable keyboard) are worth a look in the Windows based/value space. I have a T200 ~ $200 - fine for general surfing/email.

P.S. A few features I like with the T200 - when docked, it can be wired or wireless, has 1)USB3 and 1)USB2 port, can take a 2nd hard drive. Tablet is wireless only, has mini HDMI. and USB ports
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:36 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

DW has an Asus Zenpad S8 that she really likes. Not too big, not too small and under $200.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:41 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Bought iPad mini for FIL. It is used for Google chat. He also has 27" iMac for surfing and writing.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #7

Does she have a smart phone? If she does, then it'll be easier if she sticks with the same ecosystem for her tablet. I.e. if she has an iPhone, get an iPad. If she has an Android phone, look at an Android tablet or one of the newer Chromebooks that can run apps from the Play store.

If she does not have a smart phone, then it's more of a toss-up. Personally, I'd look at the Asus Flip with its keyboard and touch screen. If she likes Windows and doesn't want to learn a new OS, then consider the Surface.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:09 PM   #8

IMHO, unless you're committed to the Apple ecosystem, you'd probably be better off with an android tablet. For example, anyone coming from a PC will be frustrated by the lack of memory expansion via SD cards. Also, the apps available for both Android and Apple are now pretty much the same. But pricing on the Apple products will be much higher.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:43 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Got tired of PC/Microsoft hell and love my Apple products. No need to be a techie.. they just work (at least for me). I would go with the iPad and get a keyboard case for it. Love mine!
CountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:47 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

What is keyboard situation on a tablet? touch screen is almost impossible for me to use, I would give up in frustration before I got a whole sentence out. would not use it for email.
Angle of view might be different. Does she sit at a desk or in a chair to play games.
Tablets can be limiting.Livestream does not allow dvr function for tablets-you watch live or not at all.
I think a good laptop might be better then a tablet-what is it about tablet that you like.?
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #11

Look into a Chrome Book - a small browser only laptop that folds into a tablet. Best of both, still have a keyboard when needed.

Cheaper than an ipad by far as well.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
What is keyboard situation on a tablet?
There are lots of keyboard accessories for iPads. I have one of these for mine. It has taken the place of my laptop when I'm traveling for only a week or two.
Brydge 9.7
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:09 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I have an iPad Air 2, which is fine for me. I am not that much of a "tablet person", though, and to me it is just a pretty toy for games, e-mail, and web surfing. The closer it gets to bedtime, the more I appreciate the light weight.

For serious use, I much prefer my laptop to any tablet.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #14

DW uses an Ipad Air, I use a Mini. We both have Iphones and I like it that they have the same operating system. Our desktops are Microsoft. I have a FIRE, but it is slow and I don't really like it. I use a Kindle paperwhite for books. I have had an Android phone but switched to Apple. I would recommend you use the same tablet as phone.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I would recommend you use the same tablet as phone.
Sound advice IMHO.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:25 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Does she have a smart phone? If she does, then it'll be easier if she sticks with the same ecosystem for her tablet. I.e. if she has an iPhone, get an iPad. If she has an Android phone, look at an Android tablet or one of the newer Chromebooks that can run apps from the Play store. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
IMHO, unless you're committed to the Apple ecosystem, you'd probably be better off with an android tablet. ...
Agree with this. Also need to know a bit more about her usage (screen size prefs, etc). iPads are great devices in many ways, but relatively expensive compared to android devices, and limiting in many ways (memory expansion was mentioned).

DW is really enjoying the $30 Chromecast I bought for her. She uses her iPad or MacBook-Pro to select a Netflix movie, and casts it to the TV. This can be done with either iOS or Android. Probably more options with Android, since it is a google thing.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:33 AM   #17

My 83 yo Mom uses her great grandkids Fire 6" tablets to play games, and her Samsung phone for emails. She doesn't do any setup or add apps herself, but that's large enough for her to use and cheap enough that she doesn't worry about breaking it.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:43 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Both my iPhone 6 and my iPad air 2 have 128g. Hard to imagine needing more memory...

They are pricey, though, comparably speaking.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:17 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

+1 on the Kindle Fire tablet. We got 3 of the 6" 2014 versions and they worked well for our kids. Our incredibly destructive 4 year old managed to destroy one, and we replaced it with the newer (but slightly lower spec'd) 6" version and it was under $30 refurbished from amazon.

You get a nice ecosystem of apps that are often free. Not always the same apps that come on android/apple but there seems to be a nice variety of puzzles/games. I used one of the kids tablets as an e-reader and it works well for that. Nice long-ish battery life too (maybe 2-3 hrs with graphics intense 3d games; 5-8 hours for simple web browsing or e-reading).

Easy to use, low entry cost, and durable.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought a Kindle Fire as a replacement for my Google Nexus 7. Cost me $29. For what I use my tablet for, its fine. Only downside is that Kindle/Amazon doesn't support every app, so I can't get things like Tapatalk for managing forums. I just look at the full site instead of the mobile version, not a big deal.
sturbridge is offline   Reply With Quote