Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-27-2016, 08:52 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
+1

I've been driving Mercedes for most of my life. From "S", "E", "CLS" and so on.

Just got a 2015 "C". Wow! Likely the best car I've ever had. (except for maybe the 2003 E5)

Last week I was in a parking lot and a guy came up to me and said: "Mister, that is one bad-ass car you've got!".
This, there are so many "unfriendly" people in the world we have no desire to draw attention to ourselves. We drove Fords for 40 years until we purchased a new Nissan Altima with all the bells and whistles, three years ago. It's probably the favorite of any car we have ever had and the mileage is fantastic. It would be a fantastic car for a longish commute.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

An S65, massaged by RENNtech is the best I've found to-date.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0509.jpg (685.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2769-1.jpg (896.6 KB, 18 views)

Old 02-27-2016, 10:59 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The current April issue of Consumer Reports is out and it is their auto issue. Lots of good data there.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:15 AM   #64

People really don't mention Infiniti very much, but I am a huge fan of my G37. It's entry level luxury (think BMW 3 series) with Japanese quality. We've had it since new and now at 85K I can say it rides just as nice as when we bought it. Also, if you compare it's reliability against the same year Accord on True Delta (actual updated information on current owners and ancillary repair information) and Edmunds, it fairs better. And...it is a LOT OF FUN to drive!

Truth be told, if my current one was crushed by a tree today, I would have a 2014 model with 30,000 or less miles on it in the garage tomorrow.

My wife has a 2012 Highlander. Not luxurious at all IMHO, actually...I give it a resounding: Meh.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:45 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
People really don't mention Infiniti very much, but I am a huge fan of my G37. It's entry level luxury (think BMW 3 series) with Japanese quality. We've had it since new and now at 85K I can say it rides just as nice as when we bought it. Also, if you compare it's reliability against the same year Accord on True Delta (actual updated information on current owners and ancillary repair information) and Edmunds, it fairs better. And...it is a LOT OF FUN to drive!

Truth be told, if my current one was crushed by a tree today, I would have a 2014 model with 30,000 or less miles on it in the garage tomorrow.

I drive an 07 G35S six speed MT. 97,000 miles, one issue with the AC compressor that seems to be common with the model. That was in 2015, so 8 years of no issues at all. DIY oil and brakes and it is pretty cheap to own, but very nice. Came down to that and the Acura TL but ability to find the manual won out.

I also shopped 3-series BMWs, but they were smaller yet more expensive and I didn't think markedly nicer.

IMO, Acura and Infiniti represent a nice balance between luxury, performance, and financial responsibility.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:43 PM   #66

Here are my entries: 96 SLS Cadillac, 98 Signature Town Car

Cadillac 80K miles bought 2004 $5K
Lincoln 110K miles bought 2000 $18K

Figured total cost per year, including depreciation and repairs... avg. $1306 per car. Combined age of cars 38 years.

Both cars still look and drive like new.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I think the OP is looking for something from this century.

That said, both fine cars and they both are looking good.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:59 PM   #68

Going on 2 years now, 27,000 miles, I love my Audi Q5. Everyone's taste in cars, and what defines luxury is different. But at least this car is a chick magnet (yes, I'm 63 and married). A little background is needed:
Back in 1996 I got a really snazzy looking Mustang, and joked I finally had my chick magnet car. Alas, it only drew the attention of....other guys. I ultimately replace it with another snazzy looking set of wheels, Infiniti G35 coupe. That, too, only attracted other guys.
I had the Audi all of 2 weeks, when in a nearby parking lot a chick was absolutely swooning over the car. If my wife wasn't with me, I know I could have gotten lucky with that 80 year old.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:11 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
I drive an 07 G35S six speed MT. 97,000 miles, one issue with the AC compressor that seems to be common with the model. That was in 2015, so 8 years of no issues at all. DIY oil and brakes and it is pretty cheap to own, but very nice. Came down to that and the Acura TL but ability to find the manual won out.

I also shopped 3-series BMWs, but they were smaller yet more expensive and I didn't think markedly nicer.

IMO, Acura and Infiniti represent a nice balance between luxury, performance, and financial responsibility.
The 'cheap to own' surprised me initially. I thought that was a lie, but in fact is true. Even more amazing was that tires were cheaper to replace than they would have been on the V6 Accord. It's been a very cheap car to own and I'm quite happy with it, like you.

Having the convertible version would be nice, but I can't justify the big premium on cost...even for one a few years old.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:23 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotoole View Post
I suggest certified pre owned. As someone else posted, luxury cars depreciate fast and lots of people lease them. You can get a 1-3 year old car with very low miles (<15k if you look) for 25-50% less than new. Great warranties too.
We did that with our last two Cadillacs. Felt good about the deals and the vehicles.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:08 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by serie1926 View Post
An S65, massaged by RENNtech is the best I've found to-date.
Now thats a name I haven't heard mentioned in a while, but I'd call it more of a mid-life crisis car (eg rocket sled).
Old 02-28-2016, 06:55 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Now thats a name I haven't heard mentioned in a while, but I'd call it more of a mid-life crisis car (eg rocket sled).
Haha! No that's the other one in the stable
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (389.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-28-2016, 07:06 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Like driving your living room.
No, that would be a large SUV or a full size pickup. Real road hogs.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:54 AM   #74

I was looking for something "luxury"-ish...but then I remembered I have boats I have to pull around. So I bought a '15 Highlander. It feels luxurious to me! Maybe that's because it's replacing a 15 year old pick-up truck.
I like the ride, and the seat is comfy for me, something that has become a major issue as I age, along with the ease of getting in and out.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:44 AM   #75

No experience with new luxury cars. Owned several Mercedes 220D 62, 450SEL 74, had the 74 for 22 years.
On my second Jaguar first was 88 XJ6, current is 95 XJ6.

The only car to ever put a grin on my face avery time I get in it is the current 95XJ6.

My other luxury car is a 99 GMC Suburban SLT, loaded, with 7.4 liter engine and a highly modified ECU. It is like like driving the living room armchair on steroids. Massive, fast, and given its 50/50 front to rear weight ratio handles great, with some very expensive tires on it. I'll keep it until it or I can't be repaired anymore.

A man has got to have his toys.

Have not settled on a replecement for the Jag when it dies, but it will likely be another Jaguar. Either a 97 XJR, or a later model but not new XKR.

BTW DW loves her 2014 Caddy CTS, she is 5'2" fits her perfect. I don't like it at all. Ergonomics of it sucks, and I am not tall, 5' 8". To me it is like driving a video game with all the chrome plated plastic geegaws.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:53 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I was looking for something "luxury"-ish...but then I remembered I have boats I have to pull around. So I bought a '15 Highlander. It feels luxurious to me! Maybe that's because it's replacing a 15 year old pick-up truck.
I like the ride, and the seat is comfy for me, something that has become a major issue as I age, along with the ease of getting in and out.
Now that's a valid SUV reason & a High isn't that massive.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:04 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by capjak View Post
I also drive BMW and BMW has advanced technology and love have color heads up display as well as all the other features you do not find on a lot of other sports sedans ( I have the 328 xi with M sport package) consumer reports recommends it and it has good reliability per consumer reports.....
Agree the 3 series are great cars.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:18 AM   #78

I keep thinking I will get over driving sporty cars. But so far I just can't bring myself to drive American or Japanese "mush". Not saying they aren't good value or meet most people's needs, I just like a more engaging ride. I drive mostly for fun and I just don't find main stream cars much fun.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #79

My luxury car is my 88 Firebird Trans Am GTA 350 with leather seats, which I keep in the garage and drive once in a while. Bought it used in 96. Reliability has been very good with the exception of having a pinched ignition wire which took me forever to track down, and also had to get a new ECU once. My ideal luxury car would be a 70's or 80's V8 whale (if only they still made them new!).
Old 02-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

There are so many BMWs around here it's incredible!!!