Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2016, 11:23 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Audi - nice balance between luxurious ride and driving fun, has quattro, and new Audis have stellar technology. It is also more reliable than the BMWs. I've had 4 Audis. The A6/S6 for a luxurious ride, and S5 for a sporty ride. If you can afford $110K, get the RS7.

BMW - a driver's car. you stick to the road and can feel the road. It's comfy, as long as it's not the sports suspension. Bimmers usually have electrical problems - that's what mine had. I've test driven the 4 series and love it. The 4 Series Grand Coupe has more luggage space due to its Liftback design. The M3 and M4 are pretty fast and can cause you whiplash

Mercedes - it's ok, but the controls are kinda old fashion. I rented one last summer to drive around Scotland and it performed well. The new Mercedes looks good outside, but I still prefer the interior of the Audis. For fast Benz, get the AMG version.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2016, 12:04 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
This was my dream car, but they stopped making them to soon.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

With a custom sound system...

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1456764197.758791.jpg

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:38 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Audi - nice balance between luxurious ride and driving fun, has quattro, and new Audis have stellar technology. It is also more reliable than the BMWs. I've had 4 Audis. The A6/S6 for a luxurious ride, and S5 for a sporty ride. If you can afford $110K, get the RS7.

BMW - a driver's car. you stick to the road and can feel the road. It's comfy, as long as it's not the sports suspension. Bimmers usually have electrical problems - that's what mine had. I've test driven the 4 series and love it. The 4 Series Grand Coupe has more luggage space due to its Liftback design. The M3 and M4 are pretty fast and can cause you whiplash

Mercedes - it's ok, but the controls are kinda old fashion. I rented one last summer to drive around Scotland and it performed well. The new Mercedes looks good outside, but I still prefer the interior of the Audis. For fast Benz, get the AMG version.
This from the one whose signature says "no to consumerism etc"
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:53 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
This, there are so many "unfriendly" people in the world we have no desire to draw attention to ourselves.
Well, the comment the guy made was in admiration. When you're told your car is "bad ass" it's generally an extreme compliment.

But your comment does remind me of my great-uncle who wouldn't smoke cigars in public because he didn't want anyone to think he was wealthy. Of course, he was fairly famous for being wealthy--and lived in the biggest house in town-- so I'm not sure what exactly he was aiming at.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:51 PM   #86

I stand by that motto. Just because I know about these cars does not mean I will buy all of them. I've had these brands in the past when I was younger. Right now, I have one car - the one I need. When I said I had a couple of these brands, that was over a span of 20 years (I didn't buy all of them at the same time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
This from the one whose signature says "no to consumerism etc"
Old 02-29-2016, 08:44 PM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you to everyone who replied. Based on several great suggestions, I think it's time to do some test driving.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
G8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:33 PM   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
There are so many BMWs around here it's incredible!!!
Same in our town!

The BMW dealer expanded to the point where they built an entire new dealership for the Mini right next to the new Mercedes dealer. I see more BMW SUV's here than Honda's. It seems like the "white BMW SUV" is becoming the choice of the female daytime tennis and county club crowd in town and the high school daughter gets blessed with a 3 series convertible for her 16th birthday!
Old 03-01-2016, 06:14 AM   #89
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Same in our town!

It seems like the "white BMW SUV" is becoming the choice of the female daytime tennis and county club crowd in town and the high school daughter gets blessed with a 3 series convertible for her 16th birthday!
This reminded me of when my kids were in high school, and there were a few kids who brought their Vipers and Hummers to school. We had way too many with affluenza in my previous community, before we downsized.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:28 PM   #90

Both Hyundai and its sister brand Kia now make decent luxury cars that are good values. The Hyundai Genesis and Kia Cadenza are both highly ranked by the latest Consumer Reports. The warranty for both is unmatched: 5yr/60,000 mi basic and 10 yr/100,000 mile powertrain. I've also had great service on my Hyundai from two different dealers.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:26 PM   #91

Quote:
I stand by that motto. Just because I know about these cars does not mean I will buy all of them. I've had these brands in the past when I was younger. Right now, I have one car - the one I need. When I said I had a couple of these brands, that was over a span of 20 years (I didn't buy all of them at the same time).
I'm just jealous...they are sweet.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:35 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Audi - nice balance between luxurious ride and driving fun, has quattro, and new Audis have stellar technology. It is also more reliable than the BMWs.
BMW - a driver's car. you stick to the road and can feel the road. It's comfy, as long as it's not the sports suspension. Bimmers usually have electrical problems - that's what mine had.
Mercedes - it's ok, but the controls are kinda old fashion. I rented one last summer to drive around Scotland and it performed well. The new Mercedes looks good outside, but I still prefer the interior of the Audis.
My family owns a major luxury car dealership. My observations are:

Audi's are essentially luxury VW's, and all VW's are strange machines mechanically. Few independent service shops have the tools, knowledge or mechanics to work on them. Dealerships are few and far between--just in larger cities. I don't want to have to drive 2 hrs. to get service or parts.

BMW's are fine drivers' cars, but they're a nightmare of electrical problems. They've had to add full maintenance and long warranties to the sale--or customers would be in a heap of trouble. I wouldn't want to keep one past the full maintenance and warranty period. (I keep cars much longer than that presently.)

Mercedes--Many problems are experienced on Mercs., including brakes and a/c evaporator problems. Many dealers are hesitant to trade for Mercedes because there seems to be something wrong with the majority of trades taken in. Many car dealers have a wholesaler that buys all of their Mercedes--and they don't carry them on their used car lot.

All of the above vehicles are extremely expensive to fix even minor problems on. My Jaguar has over 17 modules on it, many of which communicate with each other thru CAN/BUS wires that are like computer wires. Each module costs about $1K, and they do go bad. My new Explorer is even more complicated with over 100 fuses and many, many relays. I would love to have a simple automobile without all the bells and whistles--like in the Good Ole Days..
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Best value depends on where one lives. In my area, a Lexus is a beater car. If one comes to an intersection with 4-way stop signs, there will often be 5 Lexus vehicles at the intersection.

This means that if one wants the best value in my area, a used Lexus is going to be the best value. Lots of folks seem to use a 3-year lease, so there are hundreds of Lexus SUVs and cars coming off lease that are 3 years old. Generally, they are thousands of dollars less than a Mercedes, Acura, or Audi of the same age. And the sellers will negotiate because you have so many to choose from. That's the sweet spot.

So what's the sweet spot in your area?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:44 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
This reminded me of when my kids were in high school, and there were a few kids who brought their Vipers and Hummers to school. We had way too many with affluenza in my previous community, before we downsized.
I remember hearing a comedian(forget who) on the radio relating a story about how he was asked, after achieving a modicum of success, to address the current student body at his old high school.
He said he told a story about how in 1983 when he was in that very high school, sitting in that very auditorium he had a dream. It was to own an '83 Trans Am...so he set about to earn it. Worked every day on his craft. Had his "ups" and had his "downs" but after 15 years of working his plan, he achieved it. He went on to explain that only the day before he took out a loan on an '83 Trans Am.
"See...dreams DO come true"...
Old 03-01-2016, 06:02 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
............So what's the sweet spot in your area?
Living in Metro Detroit, everyone buys at an employee and family discount, so used American cars are deeply discounted, as opposed to imports.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:38 PM   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I'm in your area and if you haven't noticed, BMW's are multiplying like jackrabbits.

But, I have to agree, a used Lexus around here is the new Toyota Camry in numbers.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:08 AM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Best value depends on where one lives. In my area, a Lexus is a beater car. If one comes to an intersection with 4-way stop signs, there will often be 5 Lexus vehicles at the intersection.

This means that if one wants the best value in my area, a used Lexus is going to be the best value. Lots of folks seem to use a 3-year lease, so there are hundreds of Lexus SUVs and cars coming off lease that are 3 years old. Generally, they are thousands of dollars less than a Mercedes, Acura, or Audi of the same age. And the sellers will negotiate because you have so many to choose from. That's the sweet spot.

Pretty wide range of luxury cars in my area, though BMWs and Lexuses (Lexi?) seem dominant. As I noted in my original post, I've been a Honda guy for years. At this point in my life, I'm inclined strongly to buy what I want, not just what I need. Luxury nameplates don't really impress anyone around here, but not driving a luxury car will draw negative attention in certain circles. If I had the garage space (i.e. 3-car garage), I would buy a classic luxury car for fun/appearances and another Honda for a daily driver. Unfortunately, I don't, so combining the two is my only practical option.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:20 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8tr View Post
Pretty wide range of luxury cars in my area, though BMWs and Lexuses (Lexi?) seem dominant. As I noted in my original post, I've been a Honda guy for years. At this point in my life, I'm inclined strongly to buy what I want, not just what I need. Luxury nameplates don't really impress anyone around here, but not driving a luxury car will draw negative attention in certain circles. If I had the garage space (i.e. 3-car garage), I would buy a classic luxury car for fun/appearances and another Honda for a daily driver. Unfortunately, I don't, so combining the two is my only practical option.

Just my opinion, but a top of the line Honda or Toyota is more luxurious than a bottom Acura or Lexus.... (I am talking similar cars, not big vs small)....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:25 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Just my opinion, but a top of the line Honda or Toyota is more luxurious than a bottom Acura or Lexus.... (I am talking similar cars, not big vs small)....

I don't disagree with this, but it depends on how you characterize top of the line. Much of the in-car (interior) technology for which people are paying top dollar to have in cars will be (or already is) in your phone. I'd rather buy a luxury car that offers safety and/or performance features that aren't on Hondas. Then again, those will also become standard on lower tier, non luxury cars 3-5 years later (hence the trickle down of Acura tech into Hondas).

Old 03-03-2016, 06:14 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Same in our town!

The BMW dealer expanded to the point where they built an entire new dealership for the Mini right next to the new Mercedes dealer. I see more BMW SUV's here than Honda's. It seems like the "white BMW SUV" is becoming the choice of the female daytime tennis and county club crowd in town and the high school daughter gets blessed with a 3 series convertible for her 16th birthday!
We're not an affluent area like the Woodlands. Nevertheless, there seem to be plenty of affluent drivers, and BMWs dominate. That's one brand you don't have to worry about being noticed here.