Join Early Retirement Today

Best "value" in a luxury car
Old 02-24-2016, 06:57 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Before anyone shoots me, I know there isn't much "value" in buying a luxury car. However, I've worked for almost 20 years and earned excellent money most of that time. I'm pretty much FIRE at this point (and if you add in DW's savings, we definitely are). So, having never owned a nice car (mostly used Hondas and Toyotas), I'd like to buy a "me" car - not a midlife crisis car. My commute is long and annoying, so a little luxury would be appreciated for the time I spend in the car and working.

Suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
G8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For me, it's about a very comfortable driving position, minimal road and vehicle noise, strong acceleration and safe handling when needed, a good sound system including satellite radio, and a durable and comfortable leather interior. All those things improve a nasty commute or any time spent in traffic. You can get luxury in the higher-end models of Honda and Toyota or you can try Acura and Lexus. I think Lexus and Acura are overpriced, but after a dismal experience with a Highlander's reliability, I bought a Lexus RX. Extremely comfortable to drive long distances or to be sitting in when stuck in traffic.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:13 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Check out the Mercedes C Class lineup. Prices are reasonable, reasonably fuel efficient and fun to drive. We have a 2012 model and have not regretted it. Maintenance costs have not been bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:17 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

What price range? Do you want a lot of gadgets/features/electronics, real leather, high quality interior (or just looks good), does size matter , sound systems, what about power/performance, car, suv, etc, etc. All of the above? US, European, other, or it doesn't matter?
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:20 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Tesla Model S.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:36 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

It all depends on how much you want to spend. And it helps to have numerous brands of dealers where you live.

I'm driving my 3rd Lexus, and they're far less troublesome than comparable BMW's or Mercedes. But my nearest dealers are 75, 100 and 135 miles away. Same with BMW and Mercedes. I'm at 106k miles, and my car's only repair's been brakes--and I changed'em.

Last year, we needed a people hauler, and got an Explorer XLT with leather and navigation. It's $13K less than a RX350, and just as nice. We love it.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:36 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Tesla Model S.

That's what my friends would say. They've had a Tesla for more than a year, and have had Cadillacs, Lincolns, Jags, an Audi, and a Lexus. They like the Tesla the most.

I don't know what qualifies as a luxury car for you. Do a lot of research, test drives, etc to find exactly what fits your needs/wants. We've had 2 Acuras, which to me are bottom tier luxury cars. Both cars have been great to us. But to me, the best luxury car would be an Escalade, Navigator, Excursion, or maybe a Range Rover.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:42 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

When we looked a while back, Audi seemed to have the best value in luxury SUVs.

Then they got busted on their emissions fraud! Whew - glad we hadn't made a choice.

Acura and Lexus were on the list of less expensive luxury SUVs compared to BMW, Mercedes, etc.

We were only looking at SUVs.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:51 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

For a combination of performance, comfort, luxury, and load-carrying, my dream car would be a 2011 Cadillac CTS-V wagon. That choice is a bit stupid, I admit.

The BMW M2 is getting good reviews.

My other suggestion is not to take out a loan. If you have to write a big check, you'll be sure you really want it.
Slow But Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:15 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I've put a lot of miles on two Toyota Avalons and currently am in a 2015 Highlander. I am looking at the Lexus ES350 and Hyundai Genesis as my next sedan. I think the 2013 or 2014 models with low mileage may be the best bet on newness, features and cost vs new. I'd like to try a used Mercedes, but the thought of maintenance and repairs scares me away.
rdy2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:24 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
But to me, the best luxury car would be an Escalade, Navigator, Excursion, or maybe a Range Rover.
+1
As a large guy my idea of luxury is something in a full-size SUV with bells and whistles. Everyone's personal tastes of luxury are different.
Retiring next year and heading back from overseas, getting brand new GMC Yukon Denali or Cadillac Escalade (currently have a 2002 GMC Yukon which I bought brand new).
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:29 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
. But to me, the best luxury car would be an Escalade, Navigator, Excursion, or maybe a Range Rover.

Some of the worst long term repair records around... Range Rover used to be at the bottom, but I think the Chrysler is the worst now...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:34 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Audi, Lexus, Acura.... hard to go wrong with any of those IMO.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:34 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

A luxury car that is a 'value' is the Hyundai Genesis Sedan... one of my sisters bought one of the previous models and loves it... She bought it with all bells and whistles....

Now she is thinking of buying the newer one since the technology has gotten better...
Old 02-24-2016, 08:36 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a Lexus and BMW. I prefer BMW technology and fun to drive, have had no repair or maintenance bills on the BMW (bought new with 4 year maintenance included only 28,000 miles). We have had a few Lexus over the years and they are very reliable but BMW is more fun on the road IMO.
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:42 PM   #16

I bought a 2004 Audi TT in 2010 with less than 35,000 miles. It is a luxury sports car. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. With the bad publicity with Audi at the moment, you may be able to find a good deal on one. I paid $15,000 for mine which I think was less than I would have paid for the same year Toyota. Luxury cars tend to loose value quite rapidly. Maintenance and insurance is more expensive although I haven't had any major maintenance with the Audi. I pay more for insurance on the Audi which I don't drive than I do on my 2013 Jeep Wrangler which I drive daily.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:26 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I've been in the BMW camp for some years now. Cheap though, so our latest and newest is a 2008 328it bought with 94k miles. It has some nifty features, but I prefer the 2000 528it I retired at 326k with so many issues it was prohibitive to fix them all - but it still drove like a champ! BMWs really are for people who want to drive - vhat is der cup holder for? Are you driving or haffing kaffee klatch?!
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:24 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Just as an FYI, they had on the news that Audi, Lexus and BMW are in the top 6 most reliable brands from Consumers Reports...

That is new to me as the German cars were good for a few years and then went down hill before... so maybe they have improved their long term reliability...
Old 02-25-2016, 02:16 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Audi A3
- they market this model as the next (coming to the U.S.) trend - small but luxurious.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:54 AM   #20

If you like driving: BMW
If you like comfort but still feel the road: Audi
If you like the feeling of sofa sitting: Mercedes
Environmentally friendly: Tesla Model S

All these have solid engineering and good comfort, and keep their value typically well resulting in reasonably decent cost per mile. Buy them recently new for best value.

Failing those brands, look at brands which are used for the executives alot by Bigco's who lease their cars.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote