Join Early Retirement Today

Best Voice
Old 09-24-2017, 02:23 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Best Voice

Who are your favorite voices? The question regards singers, but I would like to hear about your top other voices (like the guys who do those screaming car commercials).
I would have to say one of my top would be Cat Stevens (Yusuf). All of his songs are so smooth. Very unique.
cbo
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2017, 02:46 PM   #2

The greatest singing voice I ever heard was Luciano Pavarotti. I could listen to him all day.

The greatest speaking voice I ever heard was Abba Eban (former Israeli ambassador to the UN). I remember being absolutely mesmerized by his speeches at the UN during the Six Day War.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Priscilla Herdman (singer)
Karen Carpenter (RIP)
Terry Gross (NPR)

I do like Cat Stevens.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I loved Mr. A's voice on the phone the very first time I talked to him. For some reason, I like baritones from western PA.

James Earl Jones's voice has always been a favorite.

I adored Diane Rheam's voice, from back before her unfortunate vocal deterioration.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:55 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Best singing voice (female) is Eva Cassidy, without a doubt. It's a real shame that she die so young.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:22 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

John Houseman:

calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:24 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Christina Aguilera (singer) Powerful voice!
James Earl Jones (speaker)
Morgan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:27 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Best singing voice (female) is Eva Cassidy, without a doubt. It's a real shame that she die so young.
Agree on both points.

Male voices...always liked Sam Elliott (and Waylon Jennings).

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #9

DEAN MARTIN he nailed every song, & Andrea Bocelli brings tears to my eyes.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:32 PM   #10

Bing Crosby, Morgan Freeman
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:40 PM   #11

It's probably not the kind of answer you were soliciting, but one of my favorite voices in the world is that of my eldest brother. His voice is soft, engaging, and mellifluous. His use of language is poetic, and to listen to him relate even the most mundane tale is a joy. Obviously, the family connection influences my preference for his voice greatly. I have always felt that as long as he is around, everything is going to be OK. He always looked out for us all. He suffered a small stroke a few years ago, and his mastery of language has suffered a little since then, unfortunately.

If given the choice of listening to any voice in the world, it would be that of my eldest brother, before his stroke. I wouldn't care if he was reciting Yates, a grocery list, or telling a story about one of his friends or neighbors - his story-telling abilities were so good, and there was a very caring and engaging person behind them.

PS - I still love listening to him, of course.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
It's probably not the kind of answer you were soliciting, but one of my favorite voices in the world is that of my eldest brother. His voice is soft, engaging, and mellifluous. His use of language is poetic, and to listen to him relate even the most mundane tale is a joy. Obviously, the family connection influences my preference for his voice greatly. I have always felt that as long as he is around, everything is going to be OK. He always looked out for us all. He suffered a small stroke a few years ago, and his mastery of language has suffered a little since then, unfortunately.

If given the choice of listening to any voice in the world, it would be that of my eldest brother, before his stroke. I wouldn't care if he was reciting Yates, a grocery list, or telling a story about one of his neighbors - his story-telling abilities were so good.

You have an old clip of his so we can hear it? I would be honored to be able to listen to him.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Elvis and Sinatra had great voices. Also, Willie Nelson's is quite unique.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post

If given the choice of listening to any voice in the world, it would be that of my eldest brother, before his stroke. I wouldn't care if he was reciting Yates, a grocery list, or telling a story about one of his friends or neighbors - his story-telling abilities were so good, and there was a very caring and engaging person behind them.

PS - I still love listening to him, of course.

Major Tom,
Those are some kind things to say about your brother in this age of meanness. Enjoyed reading that.

I like the familiar voices. Or ones that sound familiar for some reason. Vin Scully comes to mind. Nat King Cole. Mel Blanc as almost any of the great Looney Tunes characters.

Muir
Old 09-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #15

Two others that come to mind. Satchmo and Billie Holliday
Old 09-24-2017, 04:15 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

George Jones
Danny Kaye
Me
Old 09-24-2017, 04:34 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I know this is really old fashioned and un-cool, but I have always been totally awed by Grace Slick's seemingly limitless dynamics and control in "White Rabbit":

OK, you know I HAD to add Aretha Franklin:

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:38 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

And who can forget Marcel Marceau?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:04 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Totally agree on Grace Slick! Thanks for the link. I never ever get tired of listening to White Rabbit. And not yet mentioned, Neil Diamond. My 8 track collection consisted mostly of his recordings.
Germonico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
And who can forget Marcel Marceau?