Best way to synchronize files between 3 home pc's?

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have 3 home pc's....wifes, mine, and desktop.

We change a lot of files daily for business, and would like them all synched and stored on each pc (not just rely on the desktop as a server, for example)

What's the best automatice program for this?

I have used Synctoy before, but dont recall it being automatic

I am now looking and Windows Live Sync....

Input?

SmartSync Pro

I use SmartSync Pro to sync files and also as a general "backup to disk" tool. In my experience it works flawlessly and I would recommend it, although it isn't free.

I use SmartSync Pro (www.smartsync.com) to keep two computers, desktop and laptop, synchronized. Although I don't use the automatic sync feature it does have an option to look for file changes and sync a number of seconds after that. It could be a good option.

I just sync every hour or two. Still a bit of a pain if I leave a file open on one computer and then modify it again on another. But it's a nice local backup to go with my online backup.

Depending on your needs, GoogleDocs may be useful.

I use a freebie program called SyncBack.

SyncBack Freeware - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

I have my data in three places. Two hard drives on my desktop and one on portable hard drive. The portable HD is for when I travel.

I count my C drive data as my main data. My D drive data as backup of C drive data. My portable hard drive as the "swing man".

I sync between C drive data and portable HD data when I travel. I sync between C and D drive data for backing up and if I mess up my C drive data.

There is a scheduling feature, but I haven't use that as I just sync my data manually.

Dropbox (dropbox.com) is great for this. It installs on all your computers and automatically syncs each of them whenever they have an internet connection. You can also access your files ("dropbox") online, so it's accessible from anywhere.

It's also really great for sharing large files, which is the other way I use it. You can share individual folders in your dropbox with different people and it does the same auto-sync thing.

Edit: it's free up to 2GB, or you can pay for 50 or 100GB

Dropbox (dropbox.com) is great for this. It installs on all your computers and automatically syncs each of them whenever they have an internet connection. You can also access your files ("dropbox") online, so it's accessible from anywhere.

It's also really great for sharing large files, which is the other way I use it. You can share individual folders in your dropbox with different people and it does the same auto-sync thing.

Edit: it's free up to 2GB, or you can pay for 50 or 100GB
+1 Dropbox works well and gives you a nice online backup if you copy only a reasonable amount of files. For a massive photo or music collection I would not try to sync but would look at straight backup approaches.

i think so....but wouldnt it essentially be on ONE computer, shared by the others...?

Yes, but that's a good thing. Note that you have to have that one computer on to access the files from the others.

I had a hard drive on the home network that was shared between all computers. It's easier to leave that HD running 24/7, instead of a PC. The hard drive even spins down when it is not accessed.

However, it's not NAS, but a proprietary protocol called NDAS. Supposedly, this NDAS drive cannot be accessed by intruders from the Web, and is safer than NAS drives.

It had a hiccup - could be due to the darn Windoze - so I took it off and have not had time to mess with it again.

When I have time to fool around with my home network again, will buy a NAS file server with built-in disk mirroring for automatic backup.

yeah my goal is to have hard copies on at least 2 pcs in the event of a failed hard drive. as we speak though, i am implementing a web-based ordering/customer database/routing/payment gateway on our website and it will lessen the importance of local backups for us.

However, it's not NAS, but a proprietary protocol called NDAS. Supposedly, this NDAS drive cannot be accessed by intruders from the Web, and is safer than NAS drives.
It might be that a network attached drive on a properly secured network could not be accessed directly but it could certainly be accessed from one of the home PCs were that compromised.

Back
Top Bottom