Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Best ways to clean the razor blades?
Old 07-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Best ways to clean the razor blades?

I use a 'refillable' razor - keep the handle, put a new blade cartridge head on. However, a problem that comes up (with both these and some disposable razors I've used) is that the stubble will cake up between the blades. A gentle tap on the sink bowl will loosen some of it, but usually it takes a combination of either running it under the water, tapping it, and sometimes even taking a cotton swab to draw the stubble out.

There was one brand that I had used in the past that actually had a plastic piece that you push, which then pushed the stubble out from the blades (I think it was a disposable brand).

Any fellow frugal ER forum members have any tricks to keeping the blades clean to keep the shave as close as possible?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #2

90% of the time I use an electric razor but on certain occasions I still go back to the disposable razor. With the electric, I use a can of compressed air to clean it and so I use this on the disposable also. I rinse it out with water and then give it a blast of the air. Works pretty good.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I suspect the problem is caused by your shaving lather. You may want to try another brand.

We use Dove soap in our baths. When the bars have worn down to discardable size, I place the bars into my Old Spice shaving mug that I inherited from my dad and lather up with a shaving brush. The residue washes off my Gillette Fusion Proglide Power blades easily.

While travelling I use Gillette shaving gel, which is stickier and harder to remove from the blades.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I use an old toothbrush for this very problem (not the one I actually bruch my teeth with). It is qhick and easy and works quite well until the blades actually start to dull.
prototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #5

Not an answer to your question, but related: I use cheap, disposable razors and dry the blades (on a towel) after each shave. Drying the blades prevents rust, and each razor lasts a long, long time. Fifty shaves at least.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype View Post
I use an old toothbrush for this very problem (not the one I actually bruch my teeth with). It is qhick and easy and works quite well until the blades actually start to dull.
EXCELLENT idea! Finally have a use for those utterly useless, invincibly firm free toothbrushes I get from the dentist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
I suspect the problem is caused by your shaving lather. You may want to try another brand.
Never thought of that possibility. Thanks for the suggestion. I normally wash my face with some bar soap before, then apply a very thin layer of Barbasol. Might try using just the bar soap, and a few different ones at that, to see if it has any different outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Not an answer to your question, but related: I use cheap, disposable razors and dry the blades (on a towel) after each shave. Drying the blades prevents rust, and each razor lasts a long, long time. Fifty shaves at least.
Well, when I did use the disposable ones, I did stretch them out WELL beyond the manufacturer's intended lifespan - although I do seem to find the triple reusable cartridge offers a seemingly closer, smoother shave for the money. Now I just need to wait until they come out with the next generation heads - 6 blades! That should bring down the cost of the earlier 5-blade and 4-blade varieties enough where my next 6-pack might be the 4-blade ones.

As a side note, although G is one of my stock holdings, I'm sure glad the majority of its customers don't use their disposable cartridges as long as I do...3 months is a good minimum for my cartridges, with a possible bonus month or two even.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post

There was one brand that I had used in the past that actually had a plastic piece that you push, which then pushed the stubble out from the blades (I think it was a disposable brand).

Any fellow frugal ER forum members have any tricks to keeping the blades clean to keep the shave as close as possible?
Good question and better answers. I'd pretty sure the 3 blades with plastic piece was a Gillette product and the cynic in me thinks it worked to well. I don't need to buy replacements very often. But the new turbo trac super duper delux I need to buy often.

The toothbrush idea is excellent for my lifetime supply of toothbrushes given to my by my dentists (plural).

Still the best way I have found to save money on razor blades is retiring. Yup shaving 3 times a week chops the cost in 1/2.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Switch over from blade to electric razor many years ago. I never want to switch back. Have one of those razors that when cleaning is needed, just flip open the cap and rinse under running water, then let air dry during the day.

I am looking for a new electric one of these days though (the current one done doesn't hold a charge..so I use it as a corded. But the blades stay nice and sharp).
Old 07-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype View Post
Don't let your wife find out it was her toothbrush you are using.