Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-21-2015, 10:06 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Guess I'm old school and think that getting fired is a black mark on one's employment record.

It only means what you decide if means. More than 50% of the population in the work world has experienced bullying, as I did when I got fired in 2003. Those in my life recognized for what is was, and my work experience since then has been extraordinary. Better pay than I had before. I was as a conference last week and I got hints that doctors who are better get fired by those who are worse. Just sayin'...

Embrace your "black marks" as a power statement about your personal ethics. Being fired by losers; please see it as a badge of honor and you will be fine.

Join the club if Firees retirees!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 10:15 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Guess I'm old school and think that getting fired is a black mark on one's employment record.
How would a future employer know? I thought most companies only verify dates of employment.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:51 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I was one of those people that hoped for a RIF with severance for a few years before I threw in the towel. It would have been sweet to get some severance cash - but it didn't happen. In the meantime I kept saving, reducing my expenses, and RE prepping. After surviving significant layoffs over the past 7 years of my career (economic downturn combined with a corporate split, acquisition, spinoff that all generated 10-20% reductions EACH) I realized I was never going to get the golden handshake.

That hanging around waiting for a RIF allowed me to do more prep and reach the nest egg that made firecalc, cfiresim, fidelity RIP, financial engines, yada-yada-yada all bless the ability to quit and not look back.
I've been on the same bandwagon for a few years too. I have asked to be laid off several times. Always my offer was refused (even when they were laying off people ). At times our EVP has said it's more punishment to keep me here (and he's right). So as much as I would like it (we are going through an acquisition so there could be layoffs in the near future) it seems like I'm never going to get the golden handshake or even a tin one so I've already set my own date
Old 01-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Turns out it was probably the HR manager who was asking the immediate supervisor to harass me. Interestingly, the HR manager got fired 2 weeks after I did. Never found out what the HR guy had against me....
In general, HR has been a nest of vipers as far as I am concerned with two exceptions. I was part of 1,200 being let go as a result of closing my entire division. A senior HR VP had me and several others set up a quick outplacement office that helped almost all of the professionals find something. Unfortunately, we couldn't help the hourly people very much since they overwhelmingly were determined to stay local.

The second time was when my subsidiary was being spun off. A corporate VP came to see me and told me the company president had been overrulling my boss to make sure I got a good raise and bonus. After the spinoff, I would soon be depending entirely on my boss for everything including continued employment. I was amazed I lasted as long as I did. I wasn't even in the first wave but I was out the door about 12 weeks after the spinoff happened.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
How would a future employer know? I thought most companies only verify dates of employment.
In my case, I volunteered it. It's typical that they'll ask "why did you leave Company X?" questions in an interview. In my case, I was out of work only 6 weeks so it would have been easy to hide the gap in a CV, but harder for someone out of work longer. My explanation was pretty much what I said here (excluding the "bodies on the tarmac" language!). I think it showed them that I could learn from adverse events (in this case, that I better make sure I didn't let myself stagnate) and could pick up and move on.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:40 PM   #26

FWIW, In my state it is my understanding that the employers will typically require you to waive all UI claims if you accept a severance package.

Other state may have laws that prevent the waiving of UI benefits.

-gauss
Old 01-21-2015, 05:04 PM   #27

gauss, that is my understanding too. You sign something that says you won't take unemployment if you get the severance package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I used to run the unemployment cases for a Federal agency. The requirements vary somewhat from state to state but the general rule is that you don't qualify for unemployment if you are fired for cause. But just because your employer says they fired you doesn't mean they had cause. If you believe they are sticking it to you (e.g. firing you for not doing something like travel that you were promised would not be required as mentioned above) appeal. The employer will have to produce evidence that they are right. In some locations (DC comes to mind) the appeals process is heavily in your favor. In many cases, companies don't have an effective process to document their actions and to respond to appeals. In that case you win by default. My recollections are from 25 years ago so things may have changed but knowing government programs I doubt it.
The story about getting shown the door after they asked for 100% travel with no additional compensation...

I filed for unemployment, got a couple of weeks, then the company filed a form to make me pay it back! They scheduled a "hearing", just done over the phone, and I presented records showing 40% travel in all 3 week periods for several years. I won, and got to keep, what was it, about $250 or something miniscule. Only that much since I got work right away.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
FWIW, In my state it is my understanding that the employers will typically require you to waive all UI claims if you accept a severance package.

Other state may have laws that prevent the waiving of UI benefits.

-gauss
In my case I was told I would get the severance package and I could apply for UI, so they were expecting it and would not challenge it.