Beware Small Dogs - You Could Get Hooked...

I've been a big fan of small dogs my whole life. Maltese, tiny-toy poodles, Havanese, Maltipoo, etc, etc. They're adorable, easier to clean up after, and don't shed. I honestly don't see the appeal of bigger dogs like labs or even full-sized poodles vs. the little ones. IMHO, the little ones give you everything the big ones do in a smaller, cuter, easier to manage, (generally) longer-lived package.

Speaking for myself only, I find bigger dogs to be generally calmer and less yippy.

If I want a 4 pound pet, I'll get a cat.

I've heard good things about Havanese - not supposed to be so yappy as many little dogs and don't shed a lot. I'd like to steer my DW in that direction when our greyhound crosses the rainbow bridge, but it's not likely. She really loves greyhounds now.

Our friends have a Havanese. Cute, very chill dog, well trained.

We crate the small dogs at night which takes them off duty. Someone could be murdering us and they would keep sleeping. On the rare occasion we let them sleep with us they will bark if they hear something.

I love small dogs. Below is a photo of me and our toy poodle, taken in 1961 when she was 5 and I was 12, going on 13. She lived to almost 18 years old and was very nearly the most loved and cherished pet that ever lived.

Frank had a toy poodle for years, and they are his favorite dog too. His was apricot colored and gorgeous. We help each other to resist the temptation of buying another toy poodle, because we don't honestly feel like we are up to taking on any serious responsibilities like that right now. But maybe some day.

Although I now have beagles and have had for my entire married life, I had this little teacup poodle, Buffy, from when I was 16 into my early 30s. She was also apricot, and I have often thought I’d like another one just like her.

She went everywhere I went, except for school.

Attachments

• A0E243B4-0B6F-4B6C-8910-F9787032F6EC.jpeg
    A0E243B4-0B6F-4B6C-8910-F9787032F6EC.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 28
I think our corgi qualified as small ... but he thought he was a big dog.

elfie.jpg

THis brings up a good point. My bassett hound. Large or small? By weight-large. By height-very, very small.

Last edited:
Big dogs are more chill. But a big dog can't wrap itself around your neck to snuggle.

Although I now have beagles and have had for my entire married life, I had this little teacup poodle, Buffy, from when I was 16 into my early 30s. She was also apricot, and I have often thought I’d like another one just like her.

She went everywhere I went, except for school.

What a sweetie! Believe me, I understand that longing for another small poodle, especially when you have had one like that.

Big dogs are more chill. But a big dog can't wrap itself around your neck to snuggle.
You haven't lived till 175 lb. male Rottweiler climbs on top of you to wrestle(at least I hope he was wrestling) and snuggle.

Im noticing more and more “tough guys” with small chihuahua type dogs, I’m talking tatted up and really Hells Angellish looking dudes holding their pup like a little baby

Hmm, I understand the practicality of small dogs, but enjoy the companionship of big dogs. Huggable, hike and swim companions, and such good security.

+1

this certainly is not the thread for me. If I can lift it up, I don't want it.

+1

this certainly is not the thread for me. If I can lift it up, I don't want it.

We have always had small dogs but DS’s big old setter/hound/something (which DDIL found as a puppy in a convenience store parking lot) is hands down the sweetest smartest dog I will ever know.

I've had small dogs and medium sized dogs (35-50 lbs) and much prefer the mediums. One reason is that I don't have to bend down so far to pet them. Plus they can hike longer distances. I brought a small dog home from the shelter where I volunteer weekly as a dog evaluator as an overnight break from the shelter for her, and I thought she was going to trip me. I did like how she sat on the back of the couch and put her head on my shoulder. But give me a medium sized mixed breed (preferably with Border Collie) any day.

I prefer my dogs medium but the truth is as long as it is a dog....

I prefer my dogs medium but the truth is as long as it is a dog....
+1. We tend to like almost all breeds, all sizes, but I suspect we’ll stay with medium.

When I was younger I wanted an Irish Wolfhound until I saw the average lifespan, I couldn’t take getting over losing a dog that often.

I agree that I’m worrying about stepping on the Havanese I’m daysitting. He walks right behind me a lot so I don’t know where he is half the time, and step very carefully.

As cute as many small dogs are, I am sure we can manage 25-50 pound breeds well into our old age especially once we move into a one story (I carried Shelties up and down stairs for years).

Last edited:
Oh I can so relate. I am the proud owner of a 13 yo Lab - and yes a total shedding machine. In my retirement I decided it might be fun to get into the business of doggy daycare and our first charges are a mama golden doodle and her 8 week old puppy. It has been fun, hectic, challenging and...did I already say hectic? The mama dog has so much energy (2yo) and I have walked 20 miles with her in the last 4 days. And I fear that has not been enough walking to dispel the energy! But oh are they cute and cuddly :). Not sure how long my business will stay in business but for now it will be sad when they go home Saturday....I think.... since they are all sleeping right now. Shhhhh

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 23
Oh I can so relate. I am the proud owner of a 13 yo Lab - and yes a total shedding machine. In my retirement I decided it might be fun to get into the business of doggy daycare and our first charges are a mama golden doodle and her 8 week old puppy. It has been fun, hectic, challenging and...did I already say hectic? The mama dog has so much energy (2yo) and I have walked 20 miles with her in the last 4 days. And I fear that has not been enough walking to dispel the energy! But oh are they cute and cuddly :). Not sure how long my business will stay in business but for now it will be sad when they go home Saturday....I think.... since they are all sleeping right now. Shhhhh

+1 on doggy daycare as a fun retirement project. I've been retired for 1.5 years and upon retirement immediately started to dog sit. Over time, I've learned I prefer over night boarding to day care, 2 night minimum, and don't take puppies or aggressive breeds. It's fun and I like to have a little bit of a schedule. On the money side it's great to have earned income for contribution to IRA, and be self-employed to deduct health care premiums.

Yes - think this may be my last puppy for overnight. As much as I love puppies - and who doesn’t - it has been 5 nights of no sleep. Finally last night my husband and I split up....I slept upstairs with the puppy and he slept downstairs with mama. We are both much happier this morning with having gotten sleep! I am about to head out for the first walk of the day in hopes that some of the energy will be drained :) I have learned a ton on this first client that will apply to future clients. Do you use a service like Rover or just on your own?

I go through rover and also on my own. I also usually try to have more than one dog at a time - it's better money and they entertain themselves to some extent. I'm new to this forum, but think there's some way to message - so message me if you want to share more about the dog sitting experience (though I'm pretty new to it too).

This is a small-medium dog, grew up to be about 25 pounds.
Cavapoo, they say...
Still fits in the recliner, and provides plenty of leg warmth in our bed.
Visits every once in a while!

Attachments

• DSCN0023-001s.jpg
    DSCN0023-001s.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 24
Small dogs around here are nothing but hawk food. No more chipmunks, squirrels around here no more. Even the bird population has dropped; not uncommon for me to see a fluff of feathers on the grass on the south 40 when I go to my shop/garage.

Small dogs around here are nothing but hawk food. No more chipmunks, squirrels around here no more. Even the bird population has dropped; not uncommon for me to see a fluff of feathers on the grass on the south 40 when I go to my shop/garage.

Our corgi never had any problems but he was 28 pounds. I looked this up and found:

DOGS: For very small dogs (less than 15 pounds), we recommend supervising all outdoor activities. Larger dogs are at less risk due to attacks from raptors, but urban coyotes present a danger to all outdoor animals. Dogs should never be allowed to roam free. Additional protection can be offered by providing an outdoor shelter or covered run.
Frequently Asked Questions /Hawks Aloft Inc.

Back
Top Bottom