Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Seriously though, are we so trivial as to make an issue out of this. We have bigger fish to fry, like discussing how to calculate net worth, returns, and the pros and cons of annuities.

MT, I think ground control is calling !
For some music fans, discussion of the relative merits of singers is anything but trivial.

I do see your point though, and from time to time I also see threads here that strike me as trivial and far from the main thrust of these forums. The thread on the banana slicer is one example. It stood out to me because I had just posted the same link on my Facebook account, and it didn't strike me as exactly core material for E-R.org

But hey - we all need a bit of light diversion from time to time. As an INTJ, I find that if a particular thread doesn't interest me, my brain switches off so fast, it's as if it never existed. I let others have their fun and move on to the things that do engage me.

The banana slicer thread was fun and goofy, but I had already had my goofy fun on Facebook, so didn't contribute.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go and run my numbers through Firecalc for the 500,000th time, even though I know the result will be the same

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #22

This is Ground Control to Major Tom
You've really made the grade
And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare

Seriously, I do see your point and agree as to discussion of the relative merits of singers is anything but trivial.

Just find it hilarious that the narrative has moved to the lip syncing issue. And to that I meant, who cares. She could stand there all day and lip synce and I would still watch her with impure thoughts popping through my head.
She is a beautiful woman and can sing like no one's business.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I bet when electric sound amplification was first introduced that people debated about whether those who sang should use it and if they weren't as good if they did.

It's probably hard to control the amplification of a singer's voice among ambient sound without a separate track, and to broadcast it (thinking of Howard Dean's scream that was not audible to people in the crowd at the site but isolated by the sound system--poor Howard).

But I guess Kelly Clarkson sounded all right without the separate track.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Who cares, not a big deal either way.
+2. Not sure why it matters as long as it's her voice (and I'm sure it was)...every artist has to lip sync in some situations.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Seriously, I do see your point and agree as to discussion of the relative merits of singers is anything but trivial.

Just find it hilarious that the narrative has moved to the lip syncing issue. And to that I meant, who cares. She could stand there all day and lip synce and I would still watch her with impure thoughts popping through my head.
She is a beautiful woman and can sing like no one's business.
I didn't realize you were talking about the lip-syncing issue - thought you were commenting on the whole thread. Sorry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+2. Not sure why it matters as long as it's her voice (and I'm sure it was)...every artist has to lip sync in some situations.
Even Aretha said this about Beyonce's performance, noting that extreme cold is challenging for a singer. As frayne said, not a big deal either way. It really bugs me how the online "news" media try to make stories out of things that aren't worthy of being made into stories, such as this "was she or wasn't she lip-syncing" issue.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I get my morning new fix on "CBS This Morning." They covered Beyonce-gate and then casually mentioned Whitney Houston's performance during the superbowl was also lip synced.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

RockyMtn, I had never heard Marvin Gaye's 1983 NBA All-Star version. It was positively brilliant! I've never heard any national anthem rendition remotely like it. I loved that the crowd was getting into it, too. Thanks for posting it.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Live vs Lip synced? That's the question. Beyonce-gate is on. That said, was it just me or was it a bit difficult to catch all the words that Kelly Clarkson was singing (which is confirmed as a live perfomance)?
Old 01-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Beyonce = Overrated

Nicole Scherzinger is 3X the vocalist that Beyonce is..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I get my morning new fix on "CBS This Morning." They covered Beyonce-gate and then casually mentioned Whitney Houston's performance during the superbowl was also lip synced.
I heard that too, evidently it's standard procedure for all performers singing the National Anthem at NFL games (and many other events) for many very good reasons. Again, as long as it's the singers actual voice (unlike Milli Vanilli), I don't see why it matters if it's live or lip synced. Who wants to hear slapback, feedback, extraneous noise, delay, a mistake or whatever else...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sta...y_Houston_song) there's a section on lip sync.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Looks like lip-syncing to me. Milli Vanilli anyone?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

I'm just happy that all the righteous indignation junkies out in the punditverse got their fixes this week. Sometimes it can be hard to find something utterly insignificant to be outraged about, but this week the pundits should be sated.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:45 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I know I'm on the wrong board...but I have to say this, I enjoy her only for her beautiful butt and body.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #34

OK, this is getting serious now.

Obama Urged to Resign Over Beyonce Scandal : The New Yorker
Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #35

Pretty lady, great voice and performer. I could care less about any lip-syncing claim.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbookgujy View Post
I know I'm on the wrong board...but I have to say this, I enjoy her only for her beautiful butt and body.
Nope, you're in the right place...

Quote:
I was sure that was an Onion piece...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote